09-01-2009 05:46 PM
I just purchased a set of X-240 speakers. As a set of desk speakers their sound quality is just fine, however when turned on they hum:
- The hum starts as soon as the unit is powered on (i.e. the orange light is glowing on the dock)
- The hum volume is not affected by the amplifier volume, nor subwoofer volume
- It hums even when no audio inputs are connected
- It hums when all my other devices (including the PC) are turned off
- The hum comes from all the speakers, including the subwoofer
- Listening closely, the hum in the satellite speakers sounds less like a hum and more like RF noise
- The hum is driving me mad!
I have searched a number of forums and reviews - humming is a very common problem with these and it seems that some folks just seem to live with it. I'm not one of those guys.
I guess I need to know if these are just going to hum forever because that's just the price/quality point they were made to, or if I should take them back. I really don't want to get replacements only to find they hum too.
If anyone has fixed their X-240 hum (even by getting hands on and voiding the warranty), I'd still like to hear it.
09-12-2009 03:47 AM
09-13-2009 03:55 AM
Yes, they hum even when everything is disconnected and the volume is turned all the way down.
Basically there is noise getting into the power amp from somewhere. I'm in the middle of hunting down the source (electrically) - if I ever manage to find it I'll post here.
09-13-2009 07:58 AM