Logi Visitor
sethmorgan

Alert systems with Powerline - PoE?

In reviewing the documentation for the new Alert systems, I was wondering, is the network interface on the cameras PoE compliant? It would be much simpler for me to run network cabling to a camera than it would be to run a power line. Also, one or two cameras would be near a PoE-capable switch and wouldn't necessarily need power provided by Powerline networking (nor network for that matter as it could all be over the single cable segment).

I'm currently researching solutions and need the answer to this one before deciding. PoE is one of my requirements and is a deal breaker. I am excited about the potential for integration of the Alert system into Logitech's Revue Google TV, so I will be sorely disappointed if this doesn't work out.

==============================================
"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."
Logitech Employee
Hijumper231

Re: Alert systems with Powerline - PoE?

Yes- the new Alert cameras are POE capable

Logi Browser
cbiggers

Does it support 802.3af so I can use a standard POE Switch? Or some special POE? I'd rather ditch the power brick it comes with and use my own.

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
ReedF

Logitech's Alert cameras can be powered and ran from any Standard PoE device. Nothing is proprietary about it and any standard PoE switch or router will work.

Logi Browser
Rob-R

How many watts does an External (700e) camera drain? Just got a PoE switch and I'd like to know how many cameras it can support

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
ReedF

Generally a PoE switch will have half the ports PoE and half that are just standard ports. Every PoE port on your switch will support one of our cameras. Generally you will have 4 PoE ports on a standard 8 port switch so you could run 4 of our cameras. In other words for every PoE port you have available up to 6 on one Commander system can be used to run one of our cameras on any standard switch or router and it will support it no problem.

Logi Browser
Rob-R

That depends on what the wattage drain is -- at least the switch I have will start turning off PoE ports (power, at least) if other PoE ports are draining too much.  Can you post the power consumption for a single 700e at max consumption (I assume w/ the IR lights on)?

Logi Apprentice
thebanker

Rob-R,

I am running a PoE switch (4 ports are PoE enabled) and have had 4 outdoor cameras running in the IR mode without any loss of power or video quality.  Have been testing for the last 4-5 days continuously without any issues seen.

Hope this helps!

Regards.

All the Best,

Logitech Alert owner since August 2010
16 cameras (12 PoE & 4 Powerline) and still expanding
Commander Software v3.5.97 / Camera v3.5.35
Logitech Employee
vbillings

The 700e takes 7 watts when the IR is on and 3 when they are not.

Logi Visitor
securitymomma

Can somebody give me an example of a POE SWITCH or show me a picture of one please..They say you can run alert without  buying another master system,if i buy another one that will make me having 3 of them...Can somebody please help me