Logi Nu
DTAlert

Re: HomePlug takes my network down

Recieved my replacement very quickly, thank you! The replacement is working perfectly so far, however my original one worked fine at first also. Hopefully this will resolve the problem for the long term.

Thank you very much for the hassle free exchange.

Logi Browser
Grassrootz

Well... I'm not sure it resolved anything... As I still can't seem to have both devices on at the same time.  I will send the replacement one back.  I'm not sure on the password.  I know the Netgear devices are using the default security Encryption key which is "HomePlugAV" maybe I could change that?  I know the Netgear Powerline utility will see the Logitech devices when I have them plugged in.

As far as topology goes...  I have a Cable Modem connected to my Router which has 2 Switches connected to that and I have Cat5e ran from those switches to various rooms in the house.  I have tried bypassing the switches of course and plug in directly to the router with the same results.

Logi Browser
Grassrootz

[ Edited ]

I just wanted to report back the fix and let others know in case they run into the same problem I had...

Apparently the newer Logitech Alert cameras use the same default encryption key as the Netgear Powerline Ethernet devices.  The Netgear default was set to "HomePlugAV"  Once I changed it to one I made up there are no more problems when both devices are on at the same time.  I don't know of a way to change the Logitech ones.  Might be a good idea for Logitech to use a different Default key to prevent this in the future.  Or at least give the users a utility to change it themselves.

Thanks!

Logitech Employee
DanielB_Logi

Yes, the Logitech Alert HomePlug devices (network adapter/bridge and camera power supply) use the default "HomePlugAV" HomePlug password as well.  If you change the security key in Commander's settings, it changes 2 things:

1. A software password in the cameras and Commander (used for the local control connection to the camera and as of 3.0 SP3 in April 2011, also local RTSP credentials for live streaming).

2. The HomePlug password for the Logitech Powerline Adapter local to Commander, and the Logitech camera power supplies (the cameras need to be running and connected to Commander at the time the security key is changed).

With a HomePlug device, there is the "powerline side" (remote) and the "ethernet side" (local). Note that when you change the security key in Commander, it only changes the Logitech HomePlug bridge "local" to the Commander PC, meaning there's an ethernet connection between the two (vs. over the powerline). If you are using the add-on HomePlug bridge (Logitech Alert HD Powerline 200 Adapter / Kit) to bring internet to another part of your house, that's considered "remote" to the Commander PC.  This help file explains the different ways you can secure your HomePlug network in you're using the Add-on devices: http://www.logitech.com/images/pdf/userguides/Powerline_Network_Utility_NA200.pdf 

If you really wanted to, you could use another manufacturer's HomePlug bridge, as long as you kept everything on the default HomePlugAV password.  (You could technically get it to work with a custom password too, and a mix of Logitech and other HomePlug devices, but that can get complicated, and isn't really supported).

If you do ever run into trouble discovering cameras after setting the security key, the sure-fire way to bring things back is to paper-clip all the cameras to reset them, then use Commander to change the security key back to the default while it is plugged into the network where the HomePlug bridge is (even though cameras might not be detected).  When you reset a camera, the HomePlug password on the camera power supply is reset back to HomePlugAV, and all the saved settings on the camera are cleared (software password, name, etc.).  When you discover the camera again in Commander, you'll have to make any settings changes again, but you'll have the camera back.  If there's just one or two cameras that don't seem to be coming back after changing a security key, you can also try the Find Cameras wizard from the settings.

So, what you've done is a good approach - keep your other pair of non-Logitech HomePlug devices on a separate HomePlug password than the Logitech Alert system.

-Daniel

Logi Nu
DTAlert

It has been almost one month since receiving my replacements and I am happy to report that the cameras and home plug system have been working flawlessly!.

Thank you