Logi Browser
chalk40

Re: MicroSD Video Recording after SP1 install - Better/Worse?

Hi there Black Hawk...many thanks for the response.....is exactly the sort of data I'm looking for...a proven config & model that can be tried with some conviction, if not a garantee.

My fear was stabbing around in the dark and trying three different types and then giving up again.

Would there be value (logitech folks) in developing a 'black' list or 'white' list of cards that cure the SD recording drop out issue? 

Indeed if we can show experiences like yours where a problem was illiminated as a result a specific choice of card, would it not be an idea that Logitech use that with the core boxed product? Or certainly on a failed/replacement basis? Could illiminate a lot of frustration in this area.

Ironically, the SP1 software has come back twice since the sort of this post with 'failure' and 'fix' messages for the partially working cam. so at least a defined & measured failure /success pattern is definable.

Many thanks again for the advice. I'm going to hunt a couple of those down and try them. At the same time I will do as advised by F4U Corsair & log another service post to Logitech & see what they come up. Will suggest your advice to them.

Cheers

Logi Team
jnoring

[ Edited ]

Blackhawk's post is spot on.  The entire MicroSD card market is a little terrifying because it's very, very difficult to understand what you're buying.  Again, if you want technical details of how weird/scary the SD card market really is, read this

So really, it boils down to A) size, B) speed and C) warranty.  Although it's sort of pricy, the Samsung "plus" cards are nice because samsung does their own fabrication, have good capacity, have good flash memory and controller, and a ten year warranty.  It's even marginally water proof.  If you need industrial, I'd go this route.  Otherwise, the Patriot card Blackhawk recommended is a great cheaper alternative.

If this helps you out, please click on the "Accept as Solution" or "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search!
Logi Browser
chalk40

Hi there & thanks for the advice. You know what? I don't really mind how pricey any of the SD's are so long as there is a fighting chance that they will live longer than the standard one supplied in the pack.

Although we cannot be scientific about the SD card being the absolute 100% failure point, I think the structured fault finding can be 95%+ accurate & it does stike me as a bit of a shame Logitech don't 'up-spec' the standard supplied SD card. All the worse as the overall sysytem is fantastic.

Anyway that groan aside, many thanks for your recommendation....now I have two candidates that look the business. I'm tempted to get one of each for each failed cam.

At the same time I have as suggested by Corsair, logged the cams & SD with a full diagnosis, screen shots of failure, repair & recording emails & requesting repolacement SD's. It's reference |No.:  #120306-000711

I will see what we get back from the guys on support. But many thanks for the SD recommendation, as I say two good candidates in the Patriot & the Samsung. 

And just thinking out loud, is there any cleaning or physical adjustment that can be made to the 700e SD apature or docking point? I'd imagine not but just to check.

cheers again

Logi Team
jnoring

I have heard of people cleaning the contacts with some success, although it's not clear to me if there's anything to that.  But I'd think a quick swipe of the card leads with some isopropyl alcohol would do the trick.  I wouldn't try to clean inside the camera; too risky.

If this helps you out, please click on the "Accept as Solution" or "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search!
Logi Apprentice
BlackHawk1776

One common way I learned to clean easily accessible metal contacts like this (good thing they're flat!) is using a CLEAN pencil eraser.  Sometimes with metal contacts black dirt of some sort builds up on the contacts and using a pencel eraser to clean them will make them shine like new.  (Just be sure to gently wipe away all of the bits of eraser that are created obviously!)

As jnoring I don't think there is a safe way to clean the card slot in the camera; I doubt you could even effectivly clean it even if you took the camera apart.

BlackHawk1776
(Insert very private, personal information here)
I fix stuff for a living and for fun.
5 External Cameras recording in Commander, Android and BlackBerry apps running as well.
Logi Browser
chalk40

Thanks for the advice. I'n keen not to start meddling around too much in this area. I'm not one of the brave souls prepared to dissect & perform surgery inside but if there is an approved contact cleaning process with zero risk then that seens sensible to do.

I cannot imagine dirt or such like being the problem. Our cams are totally covered by a large roof overhang. They never get rain on them, a little atmosphere dust & more recently a spiders web thread but thats about it. And the covers have only ever been opened to do resets and Logitech tech support stuff.

I suppose some form of natural oxidization maybe? 

The problem with these things is that in our case the cams are on the 2nd floor and at the absolute corners of the house (logical & practical from a security point of view) but a nitemare from a ladder & screwdriver point of view......V.2 maybe with some form of weatherproof snap in unit?.

But many thanks for the advice ... just waiting on a response from Logitech C/S to my logged issue then for sure will start putting this stuff to some good use.

cheers

Logi Browser
chalk40

The logged issue was picked up Logitech and the request for replacement SD's was turned into a despatched UPS order in under 2 hours! Not bad, not bad at all.

The replacements are not upgraded in any sense which is a shame, they are the standard shipped 2GB SD. So still the dilema whether to upgrade or not.

However high marks to Logitech for the turnaround - impressive.