Logi Browser
Imagine1138

Cleaning G19 / G13 / G9

[ Edited ]

Hi all. I've owned my G-series products (G19, G13, G9) for a few months now (Love them! Win7 driver issues for the G19 but that's for another thread.) and I want to clean them up a bit, get the dust out of the cracks, that sort of thing. Obviously I'd use a compressed air canister to get dust out. MaximumPC suggests using a Q-tip dipped in 90%- to 99%-proof isopropyl alcohol to clean keyboard keys themselves. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience thoroughly cleaning their G-series products and had any tips, and if isopropyl alcohol was safe to use with the materials these products are made of.

Thank you. :smileyhappy:

Logi Apprentice
Davs

Re: Cleaning G19 / G13 / G9

[ Edited ]

Rubbing alcohol is safe to use on any common commercial plastic, but you may want to use a microfiber cloth to avoid scratching the glossier finishes, especially the transparent plastic covering the lcd monitor (I don't bother since scratches are usually inevitable). In the case of the G13 I know the entire top shell comes off as a single piece in disassembly, allowing you to submerge it in water with some dish soap and scrub to your heart's content. And it only takes about an hour or two for the shell to become bone dry again in an open air environment. Note that disassembly voids the warranty, but if that's not an issue (I bought a nice refurb unit off of ebay) it's definitely the simplest and most effective method. 

Logi Guru
Trusselo

the only other thing i can think of is if warranty is no issue you can take the two outer shells appart and soak them in water and dry overnight infront of a fan

My G13 Pofile Folder

Help me out. Get a Drop box account!
Logi Apprentice
WhiteHawk

I had a friend once who put the shell of his keyboard (not a G-Series) through a dishwasher - obviously without the gubbins.  It was like new when he put it back together.  I wouldn't recommend that for anything expensive, though.  :smileysurprised:

I wouldn't recommend a compressed air duster either.  I hate those things - they just drive dust from superficial areas into the guts of whatever you're cleaning.  A soft brush (an art brush is perfect) is more work, sure, but effective.  :smileyhappy:

____
(o.0)
Logi Guru
Trusselo

if you do do the dishwasher TURN OFF THE HEATED DRY cycle.  it can warp some plastic. think of your tupper wear...

My G13 Pofile Folder

Help me out. Get a Drop box account!
CharlesB

Suspending the keyboard upside down and using compressed air solves most debris issues. My personal cleaning technique for keyboards may violate the warranty, so I don't get into it.

And yes, the washer trick is fine for cheap keyboards, but I wouldn't do it with the G-Series boards.

Logi Browser
Tezzer1

The key for me is to clean the keyboard with a slightly damp soft cloth (just water) BEFORE there is any build-up of crud. I have 2 G15s, both I bought over a year ago, the second I just started using recently. You can't tell the difference between them.

Vinegar is also something safe for plastics that has worked well for me. There are some plastics that will get effected by isopropyl alcohol in particular, generally safe for a brief exposure but I still don't like to use it. Most rubbing alcohols are isopropyl alochol. Rubbing alcohols can have some other stuff in too, like a little oil so it doesn't dryout your skin quite as much. Best to wipe over with a slightly damp (with water) clean cloth after you use vinegar.

If I were going to use alcohol, tell the truth I'd use vodka. If you don't drink it, get some cheap stuff (or if you don't care what it tastes like in your orange juice lol). Ethyl alcohol isn't as hard on plastics, or your skin. If you can't have drinkable alcohol, get some denatured alcohol, which is mostly ethanol. Vodka is almost half alcohol, the rest is water (and some trace stuff that won't hurt at all). You could use Everclear which is 95% ethanol but it is relatively expensive and there's no point.

The key is clean before there's any significant build-up, and use a soft cloth - clean old tee-shirt type material is great, and never use any of the all-purpose cleaners. Also, if you have naturally oily hands like me - wash them before you sit down to game.

:smileywink:

Logi Nu
BSpiegel

For the bits inbetween, try a shop vac, but throw some cheesecloth over the end so you dont suck up keys (Ive done that before... opps)

Logi Nu
Partof300

This is for everyone who get's sticky keys on the G19 keyboard.

First off, you can pop the keys off.

Secondly, they designed it so in the even that you do spill a little bit of liquid it's held in place, unless it's copious amounts.

Thirdly, cleaning is super easy. I popped my keys out, submerged them in warm water and hand soap, cleaned the underside with a Q-tip and the same water solution and it worked great!

Also I used a 3/16 screw driver to pop the keys out. I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than that as it seems it wouldn't fit between the keys.

This all took about 5 minutes to do. :smileyvery-happy:

Logi Visitor
elevul

Thanks, man. This is the simples solution I've read around. Gonna try it later.