Logi Visitor
Wolf823
Accepted Solution

G19 keyboard and repeated inputs with specific motherboards

[ Edited ]

Hi, I seem to be having an issue with what appears to be a buffer over run, playing WoW I find that some of the time the keys don't respond and when they do they may over run, for instance when running along the ground using the W key, I will stop pressing the key and then my toon will carry on running\moving for another 1 second or so.

Using Vista 64 with the 3 version drivers, I did uninstall the v2 drivers that I had used with my G15r2 previously.

I also have the occasional keyboard lock where my keyboard just stops responding, none of the usual keys light up when pressing them (scroll, num, caps) and the only way to get the keys working again is to remove the usb cable and plug it back in.

I should add that it's not just WoW that locks up, I have had L4D crash out on me a couple of times as well. 

The never happened with either of my G15's (rev 1&2) and I am loath to stop using the G19 but if I continue to have the issues then I will have to.

CharlesB

Re: G19 Key Buffer Over Run

Hint: The G-Series software doesn't actually install drivers for the QWERTY section of your keyboard, so if you're having problems with the G19 on a driver level, it's the HID keyboard drivers built into the system.

That being said, PM me the numbers off the bottom of the keyboard. Also, do you see this issue while typing? Do you have an XP machine to test to see if it isn't just Vista Voodoo?

Logi Visitor
Wolf823

Charles,

Thanks for the reply. What I can tell you is that the issue only occured when I started using the G19, I do have an occasional issue where input lags from time to time, I had a look at the event log but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. It's strange because the keyboard can just stop responding for a period of time, I may have to press a key 3 or 4 times for something to register.

I don't have XP to hand (well apart from a VM but that's moot).

I will pm you my numbers later on (unfortunately I am 'still' at work even though it's gone 7pm here).

As far as Vista Voodoo goes, I haven't had issues with Vista for a couple of years now (I was an early adopter due to a Technet sub), its been rock steady for a good 2 years now.

I will plug my rev2 G15 back into the machine and play with that for a while and report back.

Logi Apprentice
SirReal

[ Edited ]

My G19 exhibited the same problem at times after resuming from sleep mode. I worked around it by disabling "Legacy USB support" in the BIOS.

Consider updating BIOS and/or chipset drivers.

Possibly Logitech can fix it with a driver update or firmware update (if the G19's firmware can be updated, I lack info about that).

Message Edited by SirReal on 05-11-2009 08:40 PM

LCDSirReal for G15/G13LCDHost for G19/G15/G13

LCDHost and LCDSirReal homepage: http://www.linkdata.se/
CharlesB

Preproduction units could have their firmware written via USB, but I'm not sure if that carried into retail production.

That being said, there were some G19s that some engineers here hacked to do some really nifty things :smileywink:

Logi Visitor
Wolf823

Well I disabled the legacy USB support, uninstalled the HID device from the device manager and I am still having issues.

It's got to the point now where it's not limited to games but also to typing. I can be typing a word and it will have perhaps a dozen extra characters in the word, going back to deleting them will sometimes delete the entire word.

All in all not happy with this device, I will see what I can do about taking it back to the shop I purchased it from because this really isn't normal.

CharlesB

Is there any way you can try a different PC? Chances are, based on what you're describing, the key key martix is misaligned in terms of the keyboard's membrane, but I like to rule out possibilities :smileywink:

And what you're describing A) Is definately not normal and B) the first contact I've heard of this on a G19 (misaligned keyboard membranes can occur, but I haven't heard of one yet on this model). I'd swap it out if the problem repeats on a different host PC.

Logi Visitor
Wolf823

I will run it on my other pc for a couple of days and report back

Logi Apprentice
SirReal

Key repetetion can also be a symptom of USB bus resets - the G19 keeps buffering while the bus is being reset, then sends them all at once. Again, try updating the BIOS and the chipset drivers.

LCDSirReal for G15/G13LCDHost for G19/G15/G13

LCDHost and LCDSirReal homepage: http://www.linkdata.se/
Logi Visitor
Wolf823

The motherboard has the latest BIOS on it (Striker 2 Extreme - 1104) and the chipset drivers were updated within the last month.

As I explained this only started happening when I plugged the G19 in, it didn't happen at all with the G15 rev 2... at all.

As far as machine stability goes, the machine is rock solid, the only trouble I am having is with the keyboard (and I have built and installed enough pc's to know about stability testing with apps like Prime, Orthos, Memtest etc). I would also like to add that my other USB devices don't exhibit any issues at all (mouse which is plugged in all the time, usb flash drives, phone, gps unit etc, now obviously not all plugged in at the same time although the 1kw Enermax PSU does have enough amps to power everything without issue).

I will put the keyboard onto one of the other pc's and run it for a few days (I won't install the Logitech software on the machine as the other machine is running Server 2008 so that will also help highlight whether it's software or hardware)