Logi Nu
Nicdemus_mm

G510 Backlight too dim

I recently purchased a G510. I received it tonight and I'm currently testing it out.  Unfortunately I will be sending it back to Logitech Monday unless there is a solution to the dim backlight.  I have tried various colors with no setting being acceptable.  A setting of 255,255,255 should be the brightest with all three colors at max, but even then it barely merits being advertised as a backlit keyboard.  Yes, I can read the keys in a dark room with my LCDs turned off, otherwise it's no more visible than printed letters on a $10 keyboard.  Will Logitech be offering a way to increase the overall brightness of this keyboard (even at the expense of light-leak) or shall I proceed with returning it?

The keyboard is an "upgrade" from a Razer Lycosa.  This is my first Logitech keyboard.  Unless there is a solution to this it will be my last.

~ Nicodemus

kgober
Kudos: 734
Solutions: 448

Re: G510 Backlight too dim

[ Edited ]

the keys should be brighter than you describe.  if they're really no more visible than printed letters in the dark, your keyboard is defective and needs to be exchanged.

but if you're exaggerating, note that the G510 keys are not as bright as other backlit keyboards (even other Logitech backlit keyboards).  you're not the first to notice this, or comment on it.  there is no way that I know of to make them brighter.  with the amount of feedback Logitech has gotten on the G510 backlight, I think it's likely that future keyboards will have brighter backlights.

if the only reason you bought this keyboard is for a bright backlight, go ahead and return it.  you can get all the benefit of the G-keys and the LCD by purchasing a G13 gamepad instead (a much better investment for gaming, in my opinion, and better than a Nostromo n52).

-ken

Thanks for the information.  To clarify, it is easily usable in total dark.  It's when the room light(s) or LCDs are on that it's no more legible than printed keys.

The backlight is not the only reason that I purchased it as I already have a Lycosa.  The G510 has an excellent feature set and decent feel.  My primary reasons for purchasing it as an upgrade were:

54 effective G-keys

Display

RGB Adjustable Backlight

Game Mode Switch

I also like the barrel volume control, though being able to map the axis to other functions would be a nice touch.

Even though it delivers on the above features the dim lighting kills it for me.  I love the other Logitech products I have including speakers and the G700, so I know this is not a trend... just seems like a bad decision.  I found another post where a Logitech employee mentioned that it was made to minimize light-leak, but I've seen brighter keyboards with no sign of that issue.

Thanks again for the reply.  Perhaps I have a dud board, but either way it has to go unless a software/firmware based resolution is presented.

~ Nicodemus

Logi Nu
BitFracture

I have this keyboard as well.  I will try to explain myself without exaggeration.

With lights on and displays as well, no matter which mode my keyboard is on I cannot see my key characters very well.  I have to strain my vision a bit, actually, and I never had to do this with a regular keyboard.  With the back-light off, you would expect in broad daylight that you would be able to read the keys, however you absolutely cannot.  They are almost the same color as the keys themselves. 

I hope someone does come up with a modification to the back-light that I can perform.  I also replaced my keyboard for faulty keys that wouldn't press and got stuck down... now I am far beyond my return date. 

A bit disappointing, but the actual features of this device are still very nice.   

Logi Nu
Semantic

Have you tryed plugging it in different usb ports sometimes that helps