Logi Nu
Veri7as

G510 - Volume Wheel Not Working Right

So last night i was using the wheel just fine. I put my PC to sleep for the night. When i turned it on today the volume wheel now doesn't work right.  The mute button works but when i try to scroll the wheel the volume just moves up and down a tiny bit back and forth (even if i'm only scrolling in one direction).

Any ideas on why this could be happening?

kgober
Kudos: 797
Solutions: 483

Re: G510 - Volume Wheel Not Working Right

I'm used to that kind of behavior being caused by dust getting into an optical sensor, but I have no idea whether the G510 volume roller uses an optical sensor, and if it does I have no idea how dust would get in there.

try blowing in it, I guess.

-ken

I'm having the same problem....my volume wheel just suddenly malfunction like how he described.... I cant find a solution towards this...=(

Logi Nu
dbett

Count me as another with this issue.

This is a replacement keyboard for a unit that had a spacebar which would randomly double click.

May be time to loo at another keyboard manufacturer.  :smileysad:

Logi Nu
Bladex

[ Edited ]

also have this problem not only does the volume wheel NOT work but neither does:

mute

play

skip

stop

and pause buttons in winamp or anything else!! keyboard isn't even 1 month old they worked before and all of a sudden they don't?!?!! :manmad:

Logi Browser
Brotech

Ok, so this sounds like a problem I get on the Older G15 that I've had for a long time.
My fix, while not supported by Logitech, is one I've used often.(About once a week.)  Since I'm out of warranty, this is my solution. If you are still in warranty. USE IT! I'M SERIOUS DO THIS FIRST! I only figured out this solve because I am out of warranty.

Anywho.

To fix, UNPLUG THE KEYBOARD!

I then flip the keyboard over, get a screwdriver, and unscrew every screw on the back. Start attempting to pop the bottom of the keyboard from the top.(Remember the top is still face down,) Try to have the keyboard angled so you can see inside, so you don't rip the electronic ribbon when you finally get it popped open. When you finally get it opened. You are gonna go to the media keys. The beauty of this problem, is that the problem is, one key got stuck on a downward angle. (Don't ask me how this happens, or why, its completely random.) You simply have to reseat the media keys, and then close 'er back up replace the screws, plug it in, and your problem should be resolved.

AGAIN! I REPEAT, IF YOU ARE IN WARRANTY USE THAT FIRST! IF YOU AREN'T SURE! CHECK WITH TECH SUPPORT FIRST!

Random WoW/Logitech Fan
kgober
Kudos: 797
Solutions: 483

if all your keys worked, then suddenly they stop, that usually means that the HID Input Service stopped running (also called the Human Interface Device Access service).  run services.msc, find it in the Services list, and make sure that it's "Started" and also set to "Automatic".

-ken

I just replaced the keyboard and it worked out fine.... But does anyone suffer from this places their speaker near to the keyboard? Cuz I just wonder if the magnetic field disrupt the component inside? Just a wild guess....

Logi Nu
Blunoze

Hello, I recently purchased this keyboard for a hefty price and was very dissapointed when I encountered this same issue. However there is a fix, simply unscrew the back of the keyboard being careful of damaging any components. Now when you have the underside of the keyboard exposed you should be able to easily locate the volume wheel. You will notice that it is connected to a resistor of some sort with three small gauge wires connected to it, the likely cause of the issue is due to this component which is connected to the wheel coming loose. If you move the wheel in either direction you should notice this piece moving, if not stop here and reassemble the keyboard because this is not your problem. If you find that it is moving you will notice that on both sides of it in the axis in which it is moving there is a tiny gap. Simply take two small pieces of paper or other tiny non conductive material, about 1-1.5mm thick and insert them on either side of the device. This will stop the component from moving and allow for your volume wheel to work correctly. 

Hope this works for you guys!!

Logi Browser
aim120

[ Edited ]

@Blunoze

Thanks that for that suggestion,it certainly solved my problem.

There is no optical sensor inside,the volume wheel is connect by a shaft to the Variable resistor or Potentiometer which starts to move when you turn the wheel,simply placing a cut pieces of visting card or any non conductor on either sides of Potentiometer solves this problem.