Logi Nu
spanky1

So I just bought a new G710+ keyboard, and now the old software for my G9x mouse

doesn't recognize the mouse.The keyboard is wonderful, and the mouse works just fine.  I can also switch between the five on board memory profiles that I had previously saved on the mouse.  But when I actually go into the G9x SetPoint software, there's a message that says "SetPoint did not detect any supported devices, please check your connection."  What's going on with that?  The mouse is obviously connected, since I can use it.  Software just doesn't detect it.

kgober
Kudos: 772
Solutions: 470

Re: So I just bought a new G710+ keyboard, and now the old software for my G9x mouse

as of SetPoint 6.50 and LGS 8.40, support for the G9x mouse (and a number of other legacy gaming mice as well) was moved out of SetPoint and into LGS instead.  I think this was done because a large number of users had requested it -- on the whole, LGS is more capable but it does have a couple of issues that some users are very vocal about.  but on the plus side, many of the users who used to complain that they couldn't configure their mice in LGS are happy now.

anyway, if you install LGS 8.40 or higher, it will automatically remove support for any of these mice from SetPoint, and you use LGS to configure them instead.

the only way I know of to continue using SetPoint for one of these mice is to run SetPoint 6.32 or older, and to *not* use any version of LGS newer than 8.35.  but I don't think LGS 8.35 supports the G710+ so I think you are going to have to switch to LGS for your mouse.  this is probably a good thing, especially if you want to be able to do things like have your mouse buttons modify the behavior of your G-keys, or have your G-keys modify the behavior of your mouse buttons, which you can do in LGS using Lua scripting.

-ken

Re: So I just bought a new G710+ keyboard, and now the old software for my G9x mouse

Aww that kinda **bleep**.  Just cause I was so used to the SetPoint software.  =P

I can't seem to figure out how to add or removes profiles to and from the mouse's onboard memory in LGS.  I'm reading in the help files that you simply drag them around on the profile screen, but I don't think the layout of my LGS software is matching up to what the help files are saying.  I'll look more into it later tonight I guess.

kgober
Kudos: 772
Solutions: 470

you can't really add or remove profiles from the onboard memory.  the onboard memory has up to 5 'slots' for configuration, and you either use them or don't.

I think On-Board Memory mode is really meant for people who are going to be unplugging their mouse and using it on other computers, and they don't want to (or can't) install LGS on those other computers.

If you have a G710+, which always runs in Automatic Game Detection mode, then you might as well run your G9x in Automatic Game Detection mode also.  that will ensure that your G710+ and your G9x are always using the same profile, and it will allow you to take advantage of automatic profile activation, where LGS activates the correct profile based on what program you're running (automatic profile activation isn't available in On-Board Memory mode).

If you have no plans to ever use the G710+ G-keys (often a reasonable plan) then you can safely stick with On-Board Memory mode.  But if you have a G13 (or plan to get one) then Automatic Game Detection mode is definitely the way to go.

if you stick with On-Board Memory mode, don't try to make a profile for each game or program you use -- come up with a few (or optimally, one) standard mouse button layouts and try to reuse these layouts in multiple programs whenever possible.  in games that let you change your key and button assignments, change the game to fit the way your mouse is set up, rather than trying to do the opposite.

if you want to have a profile for each game or program, Automatic Game Detection is the way to go.  that mode was designed for this purpose, and lets you have many more than 5 profiles.

-ken