Logi Nu
InsanityOnABun

"Memory could not be read" error on shutdown.

[ Edited ]

Hi, every time I shut down my computer, I get an error saying:

"LCore - LCore.exe - Application Error.

The instruction at [address] referenced memory at [address]. The memory could not be read."

This is making me rather concerned, because back in the days when I knew very little about computers and was running Windows 95 and 98, errors like these tended to be forebearers of some much more serious problem.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, with a G15 keyboard connected (the version with orange backlighting). I'm also using the new 7.00.291 software.

Here's a screenshot of the error:

kgober
Kudos: 755
Solutions: 459

Re: "Memory could not be read" error on shutdown.

are you using the 'current' software (Logitech Gaming Software 7.00, aka LGS) or the 'legacy' software (Key Profiler / LCD Manager 3.0x, aka LGPS)?

there are known problems with LGS 7.00 on 64-bit machines, and this might just be another of them.

for 64-bit machines I recommend running LGPS 3.06.  depending on your specific needs, you might need to use LGPS 3.03 instead, but I'd start with LGPS 3.06 and go from there.

either way, I doubt this particular error is anything serious, just an annoyance.

-ken

I'm getting the same error on occasion with the same OS and keyboard you have. Any luck?

Logi Nu
InsanityOnABun

Well, I seem to have discoverd the root of the problem, and it wasn't an issue with the sofware itself. I got the same error with a completely unrelated program o shutdown once, so that tipped me off to it being something else causing it.

I had a program called Game Booster installed, and I had optimized some of my system settings through it. IIRC, one of the settings had to do with how long the computer waited for programs to shut down on their own before forcing the kill command down their throats. Once I restored the optimizations and uninstalled Game Booster, the errors stopped.

Logi Nu
mdmatt

I don't have Game Booster installed (never did).

I assume one of the settings had changed to make the time out a bit too fast?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Logi Nu
InsanityOnABun

That was it, the timeout.

Logi Nu
Thermometer

I have exactly the same problem with Game Booster 2.3. It's very annoying, because I like Game Booster. Is there a solution so I still can use Game Booster?

Logi Nu
Soldier99451

I have the exact same error with the new version on Win7 x64 SP1 (brand new, fresh <10min system install).

It doesn't show up if you aren't logged for long though... it happens after some time, as soon as you click shutdown. When you start and shut down immediately, the error doesn't show.

Logi Nu
TopGooner

I also get this error with a G19 and W7 x64 Ultimate. I downloaded the latest version and reinstalled - same problem. It certainly didn't used to do this, so I'm presuming it's a windows patch that has brought it on as I was running the boxed version of the LCD software originally, with no updates, and the error appeared by itself.