Logi Browser
fishyql

G400 : Angle snapping or prediction

Hi everyone, I have seen some threads here regarding the angle snapping (or prediction).

Just to mention that the sensor used in the G400 is the new Avago optical sensor : ADNS-3090.

The thing is that some others mice like the CM-Storm Spawn or the Puretrak Valor are using the same sensor but DON'T have angle snapping, so it is POSSIBLE to remove that issue (yes it's a problem...).

So why Logitech enable that thing ? I don't know, I hope some tech. will answer that question.

And I know that it is not possible to update the firmware but we can except to see a new G400 (sort of G410 ?) with an updated firmware on the market.

Logi Visitor
jose5wong55

Re: G400 : Angle snapping or prediction

I found a website in China where they took apart the G400 and compared to Razer's competitor. http://www.f-paper.com/?i715960_8 

You can see the sensor chip is the Avago S3095. Since it is not possible to update over USB, I agree Logitech can release a updated version of the G400 which has angle snapping disabled. I know they did this with the MX518 when they cranked the dpi to 1800 dpi from the one originally released.

Logi Browser
fishyql

Just tested the sensor over 20 minutes in Quake, and the sensor of the G400 is great in term of feeling, max speed and tracking. The only problem I see is the prediction.

Since I am a very good player in Quake, I talk a lot with some of the best players in this game about the sensor and so on and for us, so I must say I'm knowledgeable about what players really WANT and a good sensor must have :

- no acceleration (positive / negative)

- high max speed function

- no prediction

As I said the S3095 only has the prediction in issue list.

Now we can ask, why the DeathAdder or the Abbysus from Razer is so popular and why the WMO from Microsoft is still used by the best duelers in Quake, because those sensors doesn't have any major issues (the WMO has only some minors flaws like a quite low max speed and a slight negative accel).

If logitech want to become the leader in the range of Gaming mouse, I see 3 things :

- turn off the prediction with the S3095

- Make 2 mice : 1 ambidextrous (like the WMO shape), 1 ergonomic (MX shape or IME 3.0 shape is quite popular too)

- Transparency about what the mouse has in the guts (players like numbers and stats)

I really hope that logitech will take those advices that I offer, and I'm even able to help logitech in their building process by making tests etc.

Thank you !

Logi Browser
Andi2011

Logi Browser
fishyql

I can't really find the solution in the other thread. I think you don't get what I mean by prediction :smileysurprised:

By the way, the only solution is to update the firmware. Since it's not possible to update the firmware over USB with the G400, Logitech has to make a new mouse with an updated firmware.

As I said, that's the better way to them to get back in the market of Gaming mice that Razer and Steelseries are owning at the moment... If Logitech doesn't understand that they are close to release one of the best mouse ever, they will lose more and more clients.

Logi Visitor
jose5wong55

Andy, you are confusing angle snapping/prediction with "jitter"/pixel skipping. Angle snapping is due to the sensor's behaviour to "straighten" non straight movement into straight lines. "Jitter" is the behaviour of the cursor skipping pixels erratically due to a bug in the first releases of the Logitech Gaming Software, fortunately they seem to found a fix. They will be releasing a software to get rid of the jitter in the G400.

Logi Browser
Andi2011

Ah, ok, I thought that is the same....

sorry.

Logi Master II
SpecialK

fishyql wrote:

- high max speed function

When you say "high max speed function" are you referring to DPI, report rate, or what? I certainly couldn't imagine playing Quake with a high DPI cause my rail would be missing all the time. Most of the really good Quake players I've seen play at lower DPI than normal (seems to be around 400 or so).

Logi Browser
fishyql

Speed != DPI. So no it's not that, as speed I meant that the ADNS-3090 can handle an high speed and acceleration and still track. From what I read the speed is up to 140 IPS as max speed function, for me it's not a problem because I use a quite high sensitivity on quake with my IE3.0 (around 25cm/360)

Logi Visitor
jose5wong55

Found this interesting thread on how they modified the ADNS-3090 sensor to come up with the S3095.

http://www.overclock.net/mice/854100-ocn-mouse-sensor-reference-performance-sheet-45.html

They mentioned that they increased slightly the dpi and left the prediction "on" (can't turn it off) in the s3095 Logitech uses. So, why not modify the ADNS-3090 to come up with a new sensor without prediction? I know Logitech in past modified the Mx518 from 1600 dpi to 1800 dpi version so it is possible, but I doubt they would do that because there is already a large amount of G400 being sold/produced. Any real gaming mice should have prediction off or give the option to turn it off through the software.