01-27-2009 04:46 AM
So I got a new G5 mouse yesterday afternoon and it was working perfectly fine until sometime during the evening. The problem first appeared in World of Warcraft (which I playing windowed mode) and later in Firefox and Internet explorer. Before I got the G5 I'd been using an MX500 which was an excellent mouse which I had no problems with but simply got a bit old and decided I wanted a replacement. I'm using windows XP SP3 and I currently have setpoint 4.60 installed though this was after uninstalling 4.7 and trying the older version to see if it worked better.
Anyway to my problem. I was playing WoW and chatting with a friend in msn at the same time, and at one point as I switched windows back to WoW, the game stopped registering mouse clicks or mouseovers (hovering pointer over a target ingame wouldn't cause it to light up etc) though the pointer moved perfectly normally. I was a little confused so I did what I always do when I get a strange computer problem; I googled it. While I was checking google in Firefox, I noticed that the back/forward/refresh as well as menubar buttons and minimize/maximize/close were ignoring the mouse pointer and clicks just as WoW was. I minimized Firefox through the taskbar, reopened it and now those buttons worked but I couldn't use my mouse in the browser text field. The mouse pointer wasn't changing when hovering over text, and no links were clickable.
Anyway I continued my search through a bunch of minimizing and maximizing firefox and I found people with similar problems on the Firefox forums, so I figured "ok so it must be a ff problem. So I opened Internet Explorer to do some more searching which is when I noticed that middle clicking (clicking the mouse wheel) did not work and neither did the wheel scroll (middle clicking doesn't work in firefox either but mosue scroll does work there).
As a test I unplugged my g5 and plugged in my old mx500 and everything works exactly like a charm. So I uninstalled my g5 drivers, as well as setpoint, restarted pc, and tried a fresh install with 4.60 but the problems are still here now.
I'm out of ideas guys so if anyone knows about this problem or has any weird ideas to fix it please let me know. I just find it strange that it the mouse was working perfectly for around 8 hours before this problem appeared.
05-27-2009 02:21 PM
i dont have a solution but the same problem
after playing wow firefox will only allow me to click on page content or on menüs and other stuff...
i can "choose" between the two by clicking some other window and dann either into the web page contect or the menü bars...the other will not work after that until the procedure is repeated
the only way to fix it so far is by reboot
i did not have the problem with a older setpoint version (unfortunatly i dont know which i had before) but i updated 2 days ago
05-28-2009 05:28 AM