Logi Browser
topher86

G700 and small mouse movements

I'm noticing my cursor/crosshair/mouse movement seem to stick when I try to perform very small movements with my G700. An example would be, an enemy is far away and he takes a step sideways, so I do a very minor adjustment, and the crosshair sticks so I have to kinda force the movement and then I end up way over compensating. Have any G700 users noticed this?

I tried a couple of DPI's and its a common feeling among them. I'm hoping this is just growing pains of getting used to a new mouse after using a 1st gen G5 for 5 years. But...my G5 didn't have this issue and I imagine it must have a fairly old generation sensor compared to the G700.

Is it defective? What should I do?

CharlesB

Re: G700 and small mouse movements

I doubt it (though it doesn't happen with mine). Let's check a couple things:

• What surface are you playing on (Try testing it on a blank piece of white paper. Wihite paper has a nicely reflective surface with tiny detail and a random, organic pattern. It's also readily available and sets a good baseline)
  • Are you wired or wireless?
  • DPIs?
  • Report rate?
Logi Browser
topher86

Surface: Razor Destructor gaming pad

Wireless

DPIs: 1200

Polling: 1000

Acceleration: 0

I was getting this stickyness on my desk too. Just want to make it clear that this doesn't happen 100% of the time. Seems kind of random, and its not obvious. It's just somethign my brain notices very slightly.

Tried it on a white piece of paper, but its hard to notice it when I'm looking for it. I would have to put some more testing time, but you would think a $40 mousepad wouldn't have this problem.

Logi Browser
Undread

[ Edited ]

I just received my mouse today and I'm also experiencing the same behavior, and I believe it has to do with wireless vs wired mode. It does NOT occur at all when the mouse is wired.

Let me try and describe the behavior as best as I can. When I make a very small movement with the mouse in wireless mode, it sometimes doesn't move at all. After a couple small movements it will sometimes just move a very small amount and other times move more than it should as if all the prior movements were sent at once, almost giving a snapping from one point to another sensation. Being a programmer, I equate the feeling to, messages are in the queue, don't send messages until queue has x messages, or some messages are just getting lost altogether. When in wired mode, every small movement I make with my hand causes a small movement of the cursor as I would expect.

I've tested this extensively in various ways:

1) I've tried this on a Func Archetype, Steelseries SX and a plain old piece of paper. Behavior remains unchanged.

2) I've tried plugging in the wireless adapter in various ways. Into my G19, into my g19 with the extender cable such that the adapter is directly in front of my mouse, into the computer, and into the computer with the extender cable.

3) I've tried this at various DPI settings 400,1200,2000,3600,5700. The problem persists through all DPI settings.

4) With OS Native Drivers on and off.

5) At different polling rates, 125, 500, 1000. Behavior remains the same.

6) I've tried removing and turning off anything that could cause interference.  However, my previous mouse, which was a Razer Mamba (also wireless), did not have any constant interference issues.  I would assume this means that there shouldn't be any interference issues with the G700 either.

For all of my tests I have kept the sensitivity at 5 and acceleration at 0 and angle snapping is off.  I am running Windows Vista 64-bit, and have the latest SetPoint installed.

Currently I'm using my mouse strictly in wired mode because of this problem in wireless mode. Since the mouse does not move the way it should be when it is in wireless mode, I can't reliably make small movements. It just doesn't feel right. If you want to test this, an easy test would be, hover over your notification portion of your task bar. Now move from icon to icon with very slow movements. In wired mode you glide across the icons, in wireless mode it almost feels like its snapping from point to point.  You can also try just moving slowly between letters in  word, as if you were trying to move the cursor one or two letters over with the mouse.  You will notice it there as well.

One thing I've noticed in wired vs wireless mode, is that in wired mode there is a "Logitech HID-compliant G700 Gaming Mouse" as well as "Logitech HID-compliant G700 Cordless Mouse", while in wireless only the latter exists, no G700 device.

Hopefully there is an easy solution to this problem, because unfortunately using a wireless mouse strictly in wired mode for proper performance is not acceptable for me.

Logi Browser
topher86

Undread's description of the issue is dead on. I decided to go ahead and play BFBC2 last night wired and I did not experience the problem ONCE, so it is indeed a problem with the wireless mode.

I've always been pretty skeptic of wireless mice, but bought into the hype thinking the G700 would be different... The wire on this mouse is horrendous; really stiff. Thinking about splicing the braided rope wire on my G5 to replace it.

CharlesB

Here's something: What do you have the battery peformance mode set at? Max battery, normal, or max gaming?

And yead, the HID devices are appearing as expected, because the receiver is still plugged into your computer. The wireless receiver simply goes "null" when it's wired in, but it stays enumerated so that when you unplug the mouse, it minimizes the gap in movement reaction (Windows even takes a while to reenumerate a device even if it's already built a profile for it).

Logi Browser
topher86

I have the battery mode set to Normal. I will test it with Max gaming and post the results when I get home.

Logi Browser
Undread

[ Edited ]

I just tried Max Gaming (and Power Saver too just for completeness sake).  No change.  I also tried charging the battery completely overnight and testing again, just to be sure.

After using the mouse in wired mode, I would have to agree with topher that the wire is very stiff and heavy.   Using it wired is not something I would want to do for an extended period of time, the wire is more suitable for "I ran out of batteries and just need to use it wired for a while while it charges".

Edit:  I just tried using it on my laptop, which is running XP 32-bit, in a completely different part of the house.  Same issue.

Logi Browser
Hellium

I just got my G700 and noticed the problem almost immediately so i started looking over the net and found this thread. I have tested the mouse in wired mode and can confirm that the problem disappears (but as many people pointed out the supplied cable is pain in the **bleep**). This is quite a big issue and iam seriously considering returning the mouse because its incredibly uncomfortable to work with it because of it. Is there possibility that this might be resolved by new drivers/firmware or its caused by hardware and can't be eliminated? It would really suck if i had to return it because its really great mouse but i would lose my nerves because of this.

Logi Browser
chizow

I can confirm this as well although my results aren't as pronounced as what the others are describing.  There is definitely a repeatable "hitch" when moving the mouse very slowly in wireless mode compared to when its wired in, almost like the laser itself has a dead zone to try and save on battery life or polling activity.  It feels like you have to overcome a certain amount of inertia before you get smooth movement, but if you try and keep the movement slow/consistent that ramp up starts again.

What we really need however is for Logitech or anyone else who has access to something like a robotic/precision plotter that can move the mouse uniformly and consistently across the surface to eliminate the human element from the equation.  I'm sure Logitech has stuff like this in their QA facilities, but if you move it very slowly across the surface at the same speed it should be very obvious.  It should also be easily capturable with any video equipment, just set the mouse against a grid or something and move it back and forth.

Still, its not a complete deal-breaker for me because if you move the mouse slightly faster it works just fine.  I think this can be fixed with a firmware or driver update.  Personally I think its just a power saving feature that increases the dead zone when in wireless mode.

For reference, I'm using:

Razer Destructor gaming pad

USB Polling Rate: 1000Hz

Battery: Max Gaming

1800 DPI

Speed 7

Acceleration 1