Logi Nu
BlueTip

G700 shortcomings addressed in G700s?

[ Edited ]

I've recently tested several mice. The G700 fits my hand wonderfully and seems like it would be a great mouse with exception for the following:

- thumb four button cluster has no tactile feedback (not looking for a loud click, just a definitive "popping" tactile feel when pressing. The lower buttons in the cluster are easy to accidentally press both, especially without crisp button feedback. If you've every used a G5-Blue, the buttons (to me) feel just right.

- trigger finger three button cluster position and angles feel great, but again, the button feedback is poor, and the buttons have quite a bit of wiggle (maybe, even a rattle). Same comment as above for improvement by increasing tactile response

- mouse wheel feels very loose (cheap feeling). Easily noticeable when comparing to some other products

- free-wheel on/off button taking up prime button location (would prefer a programmable button here). Wouldn't it make more sense to put such an infrequently used button somewhere out of the way?

- stiff USB data cable. I had planned on running with the data cable attached most of the time while gaming, however, the cable is VERY stiff. It would have been nice to see a thinner flexible braided data cable used for this purpose. I know I can use an replacement, but it won't have the same molded connector end as the stiff USB cable.

Okay, so it seems I have several gripes ;-) Anyway, I want to know if there are any improvements on the G700s with regards to these gripes I've stated above.

Thank you.

Logi Browser
EJocys

Re: G700 shortcomings addressed in G700s?

[ Edited ]

> mouse wheel feels very loose (cheap feeling). Easily noticeable when comparing to some other products

G700 is my favourite mouse of all times, but sides feels like a sandpaper. Rubberized sides, probably, would feel better. I also prefer more black version over kitsch looking ornaments of G700s.

Also, ~25% of population have lefthanded genes. Half of lefties were forced to switch their preference to the right hand which leaves us with ~12.5% lefties. At the moment, left handed players don't have any good choice. It would be nice for Logitech to make at least one left-handed mouse for gamers and G700 is the perfect candidate to fill this empty market slot.

Logi Browser
DeeZaster

I agree with you on the cable, making your own is possible but most people are not comfortable using a soldering iron, shrink tubing and heat gun.  Plus if you screwed up, your nice molded connector end would be useless and I don't see them for sale.  I really don't know why Logitech didn't sell (they should have just replaced it on request from people with receipts) another type, braided would be the way to go and this is horrifically obvious that the packaged cable is going to gripe with users.

The finish at first bothered me too, it doesn't feel like sandpaper, it does sort of mimic a rubberized texture and I got used to it.  The G keys beside the left mouse button I'd rarely use as they would not work in game or I would have to manually program them to a keyboard shortcut for each game with the provided software.

What they need to always keep on their mice is the free spinning scroll wheel.  I don't like having to press a separate button to engage it or disable it.  The Logitech Revo MX was perfect, I still like the design of that mouse, the scroll wheel could be changed back and forth just by pressing it.  I rarely use a middle mouse button so placing the middle mouse button to one near your thumb is ideal for me.

The G700s looks interesting but I'm no more going to buy a mouse unless I can try it.  I bought so many before the G700s and unhappy with them and then selling it later (I use a m570 as well), that is a big problem with webshops.

kgober
Kudos: 733
Solutions: 448

I use the middle mouse button a lot for weapon swap, so mice like the VX nano (which also use the 'press the wheel harder' method to engage/disengage free spin) aren't really usable for me.

on the G9 the 'gear shift' button is on the bottom of the mouse, which is a handy out-of-the-way place if you never switch back and forth (and I never did on the G9 because it was too much trouble).

I kind of like having it where it is on the G700 -- I rarely use it, but when I do it's nice that it's right there, and that it's just far enough out of the way that it doesn't interfere with gaming.

-ken

[ Edited ]

Other than a higher dpi sensor what did they actually change with the g700s vs the g700?

Logi Visitor
ObserverJLin

[ Edited ]

There is only one short coming that annoys me the most about the G700 and that is the two sandpaper effect sides. It feels less grippy compared to my previous Logitech mouse, MX Revolution, which accompanied me for 3 years and although the soft touch material weared out on the right side of the mouse after a year of use the plastic exposed was smooth and tacky and the thumb area had a rubber grip.

Dear Logitech, please improve materials for better grip feel.

Logi Browser
jlk250

I picked up a G700s since I wanted a gaming mouse and my wife did not want a corded mouse.  I've never handled the older G700 model but I have read everything I can about it so I'll share what I know about the G700s.   From what I can tell, the only change Logitech made was to the higher DPI sensor and the cheesy graphics to the top.  The high DPI is not a factor for me since I don't use that setting anyway.   IOW, no reason to get the G700s instead of the G700 that I can tell. 

The complaints people have made about the G700 are valid on the G700s, IMO.   The scroll wheel is a bit sloppy.   Tilt on the scroll wheel is especially crappy, with almost no feel or feedback.   The side buttons are also sloppy with so-so feedback.  Texture is the rough "sandpaper" finish on the sides (which works just fine for me).   The data cable is very stiff but it's the same connector as my cell phone so I use its cable instead.  The G700s uses Logitech Gaming Software (LGS), but I believe the G700 can now use LGS too (whereas when originally released it could use only Setpoint).  No pinkie rest, either. 

On the plus side, I've grown quite fond of the mouse and plan to keep it.   It's nice to have the extra buttons, the size and shape work for me (except for pinkie drag), and it does seem to be quite accurate.  LGS is also very handy and beats the heck out of Setpoint!  Our older non-gaming Logitech wireless mice all have higher quality switches (by far, unfortunately) but I can accept the crappy parts of the G700s in order to get the good parts. 

Logi Visitor
TorinGate

Query: How many onboard profiles can be saved to the G700s?

The main product page says 3, which I consider a large "what the f***" because my G700 can hold 5

kgober
Kudos: 733
Solutions: 448

it's probably actually 5.  I wouldn't be surprised if the information on the product page is wrong or a typo.

but on the other hand, it might actually be correct for unexpected reasons.  maybe the G700 can hold 5, but it only works reliably with 3 or less. dunno for sure although I kind of doubt it.

-ken

Man how STUPID can Logitech seriously be to using that same stiff cable.  How many posts and rants have we seen asking them to change the cable which is not hard to do.  Are they that oblivious to customer complaints?

No way would I upgrade if that cable is the same.  I'll just have to use a chop and reattachment to a braided cable then on my G700.