Logi Browser
zubora
Accepted Solution

G700s : how to set my mouse buttons to just 1 - 11?

Hi all,

I just got a Windows 8 machine and I'm trying to play World of Warcraft with my G700s mouse. I am trying to figure out how to get the game to simply recognize mouse buttons 1 - 11, but for some reason I can't. I don't want to assign specific actions to the buttons, I just want WoW to recognize mouse buttons past button 3, which currently I can't seem to figure out either wireless or wired.

Would someone please help me out! Many thanks in advance!

Macbook Pro
OSX 10.8
kgober
Kudos: 797
Solutions: 483

Re: G700s : how to set my mouse buttons to just 1 - 11?

make them generic buttons, then see how many WoW will recognize.  on Windows, WoW will only recognize 5 buttons iirc, due to an OS limitation.  I don't know what the OS limitation on MacOS is, but I wouldn't be surprised it's 3.

-ken

Thanks for your reply. I already tried making them generic buttons, but I'm trying to use buttons beyond 5. Is it really true windows won't recognize beyond 5 buttons? :smileysad: What's the point in having all of the other buttons then?

When I was using this mouse on my Mac, then I could access all 11 buttons without a problem. I will be really disappointed if Windows doesn't support them!

Macbook Pro
OSX 10.8
kgober
Kudos: 797
Solutions: 483

games don't get input from the mouse directly -- mouse input goes to Windows, and Windows then sends mouse messages to applications (such as games).  the mouse message format only has 5 buttons defined: left, middle, right, x1, x2 (x1 and x2 are more commonly called back and forward).  7 buttons if you include wheel tilt left/right.

this is why every PC mouse with more than 5 buttons comes with software that lets you rebind the extra buttons to keyboard keys.  otherwise there would be no way to use them.

-ken

Ah ok, shame. :smileysad: I'll fuss with the software then. Thanks very much!

Macbook Pro
OSX 10.8
Logi New
ComputerNinja

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I just picked up the G700S because I was feeling my G500 was getting stale, even though it works great.

I'm trying to use the Logitech Gaming software (version 8.50) to set the mouse up where those buttons are just normal buttons, not DPI UP, Down, etc. And something that WoW will see.

Has anyone done this successfully?

Logi Guru
ktang0717

Read kgober's reply.

Mouse --> Windows --> Game

Windows interprets only five buttons natively (LMB, RMB, Middle, "back", and "forward"), and for Windows (or other games) to recognize the other buttons, they need to be bound in LGS to functions that Windows recognizes. There's no way to set it to be a "default button".

In order for WoW to recognize the buttons in-game natively as G9, G10, G11, etc. Blizzard needs to build in support, much like how Riot has done it in LoL where you can bind the G-keys natively.

Logi New
ComputerNinja

I am going to give that a shot tonight, thanks.

Logi New
ComputerNinja

Setting those up as "generic" does nothing. It only sets them as DPI Up, DPI Down, and Battery Level (this is for G8, G9, and G10).

I'd also like G6 and G7 to be used. The problem I have is that I have to wrap my mind around this. I can set some of these buttons up to be tied to the main action bar in WoW... but for each of my toons, I'd have to place and memorize the spells/attacks I want to use on the same buttons. In other words, if I tied G6 to Action Bar 8, I'd have to put a spell I use for each of my toons (that I memorize for each of them) on Action Bar 8.

I hope that is easy to follow. It's a bummer that Logitech and Blizzard don't have some sort of agreement on button mappins with their MMO mice.

Logi Guru
ktang0717

Once again, it's on Blizzard to build in support. For now, you need to assign skills to "1", "2", "3", etc. on the keyboard, and map the keyboard key to the mouse button you want.