Ctn
Logi Visitor
Ctn

Re: G9x/G500 can't turn off acceleration completely.

Why are you using angle snapping if you're after accuracy ?

Try a G9x, different sensor location to the G500.

Horizontal movement on the G500 will be faster because the sensor is located further up, so if move the mose left or right by pivoting your wrist, it will move faster than moving your hand up or down.

If the sensor was in the middle, it shouldn't be as aparent, which is the case on the G9/G9x.

Logi Browser
Despair

I've disabled angle snapping I meant, sorry. On or off the issue persists.

So...the design of the mouse is the "flaw" here. Do they expect someone who does heavy FPS gaming to be able to use that kind of mouse? Why would logitech purposely move the position of the laser of the original g5 or g9 to a spot that purposely makes the horizontal movement much more sensitive than the vertical movement? This just throws all accuracy in FPS games where I need pinpoint aim, left or right and up and down. When I move my hand faster the mouse also has an acceleration to it when moving left/right it seems, very small but it is there compared to the old G5 or G9.

Thanks for the input though. Whoever designed the g500 should be fired. Now I have to refund it, possibly get a restocking fee then consider on purchasing the g9x as I don't want more problems.

Is there a reason other than genuine stupidity that the laser was moved to cause this uneven movement all around during usage which affects gameplay?

I'll stick with the G9 I guess until something else worth checking out shows up. Thanks again.

Ctn
Logi Visitor
Ctn

I dont know mate, if I were to guess, my first guess would be due to design/space contraints which is highly unlikely since the G500 shape is larger than the G9x. It's more likely to prevent a redesign of the G5 pcb to accomodate the larger sensor + hardware (I'm assuming it's larger) if it was to be situated in the same position. It was probably less work to position the sensor futher up where more space is available (I'm guessing again).

Logi Visitor
excelx

The added software out of the box has some undesireable settings set to default, such as acceleration, a higher verticle than horizontal (or was it the other way around?), which caused the mouse to act strangely in FPSers. After tweaking the software that comes with it, it began to act more as I wanted it to.

my settings...  Acceleration = 0       speed 5       x-axis = 700 dpi   y-axis = 900  500  polling rate and everything else default

Logi Browser
Despair

[ Edited ]

Hmm interesting. Thank you for your input and thoughts on this matter.

I wonder...since the g9 and the g9x have the body and probably the same PCB board, if I could possibly swap the laser from my g500 to my g9 PCB. This would solve the laser positioning I imagine to fix the undesired effect of horizontal movement having an "acceleration" and faster feel compared to the vertical when using matched DPI settings, etc.

Thanks for the recommendation of chaning the X axis lower than the Y by a  certain amount. I choose to a use a difference of 100dpi, the X Axis being 800 and the Y being 900, sensitivity 5, accel 0, angle snapping/OS drivers set off. It has helped and I made some more adjustments to my config in my FPS games which I do competition in and it looks like maybe with a little practice and patience I can get used to the g500. I love my g9 and the way it tracked, and the claw grip was excellent, etc but I didn't like how the grips I always got were never fitting on the body fully and the mouse wasn't great for faster movements and being precise but this cannot really be a con since it is designed for claw/fingertip. I love the g5/g500/mx518 body shapes I just wish they hadn't move the laser position on their latest addition. Did any one in quality control over at Logitech test this and see this problem? I'm amazed as usually Logitech (or at least from my good past experiences of doing business with them) isn't lazy to allow this kind of flaw or issue with their mouse forcing gamers especially ones who do competition such as myself to have to adjust both the X and Y axis just to get equal movement across the board. Yes I am very picky when it comes to the way a mouse moves, tracks and feels during gameplay as the shooters I play (Urban Terror being one of them) require fast paced movement and quick precision. I'm sure most people/gamers buying this mouse or any of the G-Series Mice are also looking for this though such as you guys. =)

I'll give this mouse another week or so as I have till Nov 1st to return it and see if I can adjust to it's speedy horizontal movements. I've even changed mouse pads as my Steel Series SX was now too slick for it (which is very disappointing as that pad was expensive) and lowering the sensitivity any further in game would begin to hinder my possible wrist flick 180-360 degree turns. So back to my partially worn out Razer Destructor. =)

Thanks guys.

Edit: Just noticed the g9x firmware update which is also for the g500 (more uncommon) but I decided to check anyways. Whadda know, firmware was 1.0 and needed to be updated. Updated to 1.1 now and I'll see if that helps with the issues I've seen.

Edit2: Firmware update helped for sure. Adjusting the DPI levels (lower horizontal by 100dpi for me) helped as well for the increased sensitivity left and right and no so sensitive vertical. Using it on a Steelseries SX mousepad and enjoying the mouse now.

Logi Nu
natb1

ME TOO!

I bought a pair of MX310 for 2 Windows XP machines. I turned off Acceleration completely. In FPS game acceleration is TERRIBLE! I uninstalled the supplied logitech drivers and acceleration stopped. I must be using some default Windows XP supplied driver now or something. The only bad thing now is, All my games require me to drop the mouse sensitivity to very LOW settings. But, the FREAKING ACCELERATION did stop.

Logi Browser
vipah604

Logitech admit that G500 and G9X have an acceleration problem.

You can read more about it in a different thread.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-Series-Mice/I-need-help-updating-g500-firmware/m-p/416785#M4954

CharlesB

natb - It's nearly impossible to get rid of the acceleration in Windows drivers. SetPoint's drivers can be set to be truely acceleration free

vipah - to clarify, we've been able to see something that ISN'T acceleration technically, but it could be related to the perceived acceleration of this mouse. I sent an update request email yesterday, but I haven't received a response yet.

Logi Visitor
ryan85

bump

my $100 paperweight (G9X) is still sitting in the closet

get your **bleep** together logitech

Logi Rook
MONVMENTVM

@ CharlesB

Yes it's not real acceleration but something feels odd with the tracking. Extremely slow moves (pixel to pixel) seem to work correctly but if you move just slightly faster there seems to be a sudden elevation of speed somewhere. It's not easy to see this at first (because after all you can do precise pixel to pixel moves) but there is definately something odd.