Logi Nu
Slyfox

Windows 7 mouse stutter problem FIXED!!!

[ Edited ]

I've read many posts about intermittent mouse stutter problems with Windows 7.  I was having the problem myself, but finally found a fix.  I have a Logitech G5 that I love, and it worked fine on my other machines.  Therefore, I knew the mouse was fine.  Shortly after upgrading from Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit I started getting an annoying stutter problem.  The mouse would hang for a second, I would get a notification sound, and then the mouse would start working again.  I combed through tons of support posts and tried many different suggestions.  None of which worked for me.  I finally stumbled on this suggestion:

1.  Click the Windows start button.

2.  Type msconfig.exe in the "Search programs and files" box.

3.  It will require the administrator password to run.

4.  Click on the "Boot" tab at the top.

5.  Click on the "Advanced Options" button.

6.  Make sure that the "Number of processors" is checked.  Most importantly make sure the number of processors matches what your CPU has!  (Dual core = 2, Tri=3, Quad=4, etc. etc.)

7.  Hit Ok, and then reboot.

I have an AMD 3 core processor.  Somehow this setting was changed to 0.  After changing it back to 3, I have no more stutter problems!  I know this sounds crazy, but it worked for me.  If your "Processor" settings are correct, this may not be your problem.  I just know that life is much better for me now, so I wanted to share.  :smileyhappy:

If this works for you, please let me know or give me some Kudos.

Logi Nu
chris84

Re: Windows 7 mouse stutter problem FIXED!!!

did not work for me, i still got this problem. maybe someone else have other suggestions?

Logi Nu
Slyfox

[ Edited ]

The first thing I would do... would be ruling out the possibility of a hardware problem with the mouse.  Do you have access to a different computer preferably running a different OS?  If it works fine on that, then at least you can narrow it down to a software problem.  The mouse pad or surface could be a problem as well.

The most common suggestion I saw was turning off Aero Themes.  Basically right click on your desktop, and change the background to a non-Aero Theme.  This seemed to work for quite a few people, but it wasn't my problem.  Do you get a notification sound when your mouse stutters, like you just connected the mouse?

Logi Nu
pacmann70

This worked for me. I noticed when my mouse studdered I would here the hard drive, so it lead me to this area. change virtual memory to 'system manage size'. ........Start , right click computer, properties, adv sys set, performance settings advanced, vertual memory change, set system manage size. Hope this works for you. good luck.

Logi Nu
georgefa

Also read many posts with out help.  Knew it was a system issue as it happened with both corded and cordless mice.  Have a Xeon E5-1620, and was frustrated that all that horsepower couldn't deal with a mouse.  Changing number of processors as you suggested to 8 did the job.  Thanks much!

Logi Nu
MouseNowFixed

Solution worked perfectly.  I had just upgraded to Win 7 64-bit and the problem was both annoying and alarming. Thanks!

Logi Nu
queenbphx

Yes, thank you! Worked for me! Kudos! :smileyvery-happy:

Logi Nu
Susquatch

[ Edited ]

Works Great!

I just bought a new desktop with the latest Intel Processor and 32Gb of memory.  But I kept my old mouse - A Logitech wireless mouse that fits my hand perfect and that has worked great on previous computers and a laptop.  No justification for mouse stuttering with all that clout.  I did a google search on "mouse stutter windows 7" and found your post.  Changed the number of cores and problem GONE!

PS - Why Win7?  Because Windows 8 **bleep**!

PS2 - Kudos given!

Thanks!

Logi Nu
Spectre118

I hope this works, using a Logitech M510 mouse, often notice it randomly stuttering around as if it's not responding for very breif points. After having the issue persist with a newer model, and with a new, but same model mouse, I cancled out the idea of it being the mouses fault.

Noticed my PC only boots with 1cpu rather than all 4, so I hope that helps. 

Thanks for the help either way.

Also, I know I'm a year late, lol, but still, thanks.

Logi Nu
ThisDoesntexcep

I am getting this problem and I already figured what you've done and maximized my cores but still get the same thing. It is intermitten and it just started for no apparent reason.

The only thing that occurred new prior to that was that I added Microsoft's Visual Studio 11 but I even restored it back to see if that would fix it and it did not. So I undid system restore to return it back.

Any other suggestions? Could it be a virus? My last scan (McAfee) had indicated Artemis!1222BF99DE47(Trojan) but I looked it up and found zero information on it.

Please help.

<script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html">// <div id="<%= overlayId %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>"></div> // </script>