Logi Nu
IWantMyMTV

Sticky 'X' Button on PS2 Cordless action controller

The 'X' button sticks sometimes due to the blue rubber pad (looks like a diamond with a 'pop-up' button at each corner directly underneath the controller action buttons) underneath the 'X' button being torn. The little rubber pad provides the spring force to push the button back up. After a lot of use, the sidewall on the little rubber button tears and the top of the button gets caught on the tear and won't push the 'X' button back up.

That's why all the cleaning in the world won't help.

Someone suggested swapping the rubber pad with one from a wired PS2 controller. I don't know about a Logitech wired controller, but the Sony PS2 controller uses a tan rubber pad which is slightly larger than the blue one in the Logitech cordless. Also, in the Logitech cordless controller, the rubber pad is squared off underneath the triangle button to make room for the plastic inserts associated with the R1 and R2 triggers, and there are blue legs underneath the pad which insert into the circuit board to help keep it attached during disassembly/reassembly (nice touch there Logitech).

I improved my situation by rotating the blue pad 90 degrees so the torn rubber pop-up button is now underneath the square button which I don't use as much. However, to do this I had to trim the blue rubber pad that shifted underneath the triangle button. I was afraid to trim too much because I didn't want to damage that pop-up button, but the R1/R2 still interfere with the blue rubber pad underneath the triangle button so the triangle button doesn't click when pressed (although it works fine...it just doesn't feel like the other three buttons).

Now, the forum moderators will warn me that I voided my warranty. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it through all the hoops to get a warranty repair done anyway.

And here's why I posted this...

CAN LOGITECH PLEASE PROVIDE REPLACEMENT BLUE RUBBER PADS FOR THE PS2 WIRELESS CONTROLLER?

I'm even willing to pay for it (though I shouldn't have to...the Sony pads are much more robust and I suppose that's why my PS2 wired controller still has no tears even though it has seen much heavier usage). Is there anyway I can buy a dozen of those blue rubber pads so I don't have to jury rig the one I have?

Thanks for any help.

Dave
Logi Browser
PHOENIXZERO

Re: Sticky 'X' Button on PS2 Cordless action controller

[ Edited ]
I had this same problem back in June 2006. My X button started to stick horribly after seven months of use, luckily since I was still in my warranty period I called Logitech (after e-mailing them and receiving a pointless reply that had nothing to do with my problem) and they sent me a replacement and I think a new warranty.

Wellll, it's been another seven months and the replacement controller is now having problems with the D-Pad sticking or sometimes not responding and I think other buttons are also starting to have problems, this just from normal use, I haven't abused the controllers in any way and my old PS2 wired controllers still work fine even though they were used a hundred times as much. I've had my PS2 since fall 2001 but before that I had bought a DS2 controller back in winter 2000 to replace the controller on my PS1 since I wanted analog sticks and rumble for PS1 games that supported it. That and my old PS1 controller still work also.

Anyway, yeah I suggest calling Logitech, that's what I'm going to do right now. If they refuse to either fix the problem or offer another replacement (that'll hopefully last more than seven months) I'm going to just take apart the controllers and take the D-Pad out of the old one to replace it. >_>

Message Edited by PHOENIXZERO on 01-23-200705:05 PM

EDIT: I called and they had me reset the controller (take out one battery and while holding L1 and L2 reinsert the removed battery). That fixed my D-Pad problem, unfortunately I doubt that'll help you but I think you should still call them.

Message Edited by PHOENIXZERO on 01-23-200705:28 PM

Logi Nu
IWantMyMTV

Thanks for the reply and the tip...

But that wouldn't fix my problem (and I suspect that won't correct the majority of the other similar type problems).

I'm not interested in a new wireless controller from Logitech either (otherwise, I have to go through this routine every few months). I'm quite capable of disassembling and reassembling a gamepad (I've been doing it since 1985 with Slik-Stiks). I just don't have any injection molding facilities at my house to make pads.

I just want a half dozen of those little blue pads that go underneath the action buttons, and I'm willing to pay for them (as long as they're not $5 apiece).

I think it's a reasonable request.

I would also hope that the issue wasn't a material choice or design issue, and that there was just a couple of bad lots with weak side walls on the pop-ups on the rubber pads. Otherwise, Logitech might want to take a trip to whoever makes the official Sony PS2 controller and see how they make their rubber pads. And for all I know, that could be the other Logitech plant in the next city over.

Holding L1 and L2 while removing/installing the battery definitely won't fix a torn side wall on the rubber pad.

But it may help others and it's useful information (you would think they would put something like that in a troubleshooting section of the manual to save themselves lots of customer service calls)...
Logi Browser
PHOENIXZERO

Yeah, if I didn't get my problem resolved I would have just taken the pad from my old CA Controller and used it in this one. Logitech's is are official, Sony endorsed products which is likely due to the deal they have with Logitech for licensing some of Logitech's patents, which also brought around that Immersion lawsuit Sony is still fighting over the DS2's rumble.

I wish they would send out the pads. I know I'd buy a few and use one to repair the first CAC I bought. There is two things I don't like one being the floaty D-Pad and the other would be the pressure sensitive buttons aren't sensitive enough or are just too stiff with a game that can be really **bleep** about how they're used, like Metal Gear Solid 3 and I'm sure MGS2 is the same but I don't recall trying it.

I don't see why not try to get a replacement, you don't have to send them the old controller or at least I didn't have to. Plus if something else goes out in the new controller, you can always cannibalize the old one. I think it only took two or three days to get the replacement. But have you called them and asked about just getting the rubber pad replacement sent?
Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
Mona

Hi,

I understand how frustrating this must be for you guys. We do not provide the blue pads as spare parts. Please contact Logitech Phone Support for a replacement gamepad should you experience your "X" button sticking. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Logi Nu
zoso925

I am shocked Logitech is not selling these blue pieces. What does it cost like 3 cents to friggin make?
AND IT'S BEEN A YEAR SINCE THIS PERSON POSTED AND LOGITECH STILL MAKES CRAPPY CONTROLLERS!

Since September 2007 I am on my 4th controller because the X button sticks after 2 months of use. I played it smart now, I just go to a store and buy a new controller, go back the next day and put the broken one in the box and exchange for a 2nd new controller. FU guys and Corporate America
Logi Browser
PHOENIXZERO

Haha, yeah this is an old thread, I'm actually on my third one now because my X Button ended up crapping out again and it took me two or three months to get it resolved. Called in and the support guy I got wasn't very helpful and said that I'd be better off buying a new controller and swapping it with the old one and returning it. >_> Well, then I went and dealt with the support through e-mail which between the time I called and the e-mailing the warranty went back to being only a year. Well, at least they still honored and sent me replacement number two. I haven't been using my PS2 too much (I wasn't using it that much before either) so maybe it'll last this time. I think the solution would be for Logitech to go back to the drawing board and maybe use better materials, oh and get rid of the annoying **bleep** floaty D-Pad! >_