11-30-2007 05:10 AM
04-23-2008 08:12 AM
04-30-2008 06:53 PM
05-24-2008 05:20 AM
06-06-2008 05:20 PM
I did this using (non-conductive) plastic epoxy, just putting a very small drop on top of the metal contact the button presses down on. (if you get the drop into the contacts, you're going to glue them together and they'll never work again, so be careful). The amount I put on was literally about the size of a medium pin head (sticking up maybe 1/16th inch).
I let the epoxy harden overnight, then put the case back together, and this has completely solved the problems.
(Quick note on taking apart the case: There are two screws in the bottom; easy. Then there are FOUR locking tabs at midway through the top curve and the bottom on either side of the remote - near the "1" and the "3" and on either side of the screen, respectively. Getting these tabs to unlock is a pain, and it's accomplished by pushing rather hard with an object against the LOWER part of the remote case. I recommend doing it with a very small screwdriver lodged into the groove.)
I also found the "glow" ball bearing and motion sensor cap had simply come apart, and it clicked back together easily.
The remote now works perfectly.
I know it's not an elegant solution, but when you're out of warranty on a remote this expensive... well... it is a workaround
06-11-2008 12:03 AM
06-11-2008 04:31 AM
06-11-2008 07:32 AM
That the problem appears after around 14-18 months, just after the warranty expires, is even more annoying. I feel like something that costs this much should last longer than a year, year and a half. In any case, I'll use the LCD buttons for Vol and Chan up until the remote dies and never purchase a Logitech remote again.
06-17-2008 02:37 PM