Logi Browser
dmeglio

Supported Devices?

How do I find out if my devices are on the list of supported devices? I cannot find this information anywhere. Does Logitech expect me to purchase the remote to find out?
Logi Legend II
rhachey

Re: Supported Devices?

Logitech does not have a list there are thousands of devices in their database if for some unforeseen reason one of yours is not listed , Harmony remotes are learning remotes and can learn commands from your original remote
Logi Browser
dmeglio

There is more to the story than you suggest. First of all, how do I know if my devices are IR? Does a manual say whether it is IR or RF? I've never noticed this info in there. So when I have an obscure device, I have no idea whether that part works.

Secondly, I'd like to know what works. For example, do my devices have discrete on/off commands? Or is it just a "power" command? I have no way to know until I access the device list. How well will it handle my STB's A/B/C/D buttons (which SA boxes use for practically everything), etc.

Not letting me know what is supported is a *very* poor decision. Basically, I have to buy it to find out whether this is a 5 minute setup or a 5 hour setup.
Logi Legend II
rhachey

no universal remote can control RF as each device is propriotory if your remote can control your device while in a different room then it is RF if you need to be in line of sight of the device to control it, is IR. IR remotes will have a window in the front of the remote to emit the IR signal
Logi Browser
dmeglio

That still doesn't answer my question about what signals are supported exactly. I see people on the forums saying "my TV remote only has 'prev input' and 'next input' but the harmony database lets me jump to a specific input anyway" how can I find out such information? My TV, for example, only lets me cycle through inputs. If the Harmony cannot jump to a specific input, I might not want it.  I've read several people saying their devices are not supported. Why must I go and spend a few hundred bucks to find out "oh yeah, we don't work with that one." At the very least, is there a kind member of the harmony community that could look up a specific device for me? A Psyclone PSC47 (HDMI Switcher). Thank you.

I also have a few other questions about the device itself. Is there anyway to turn off the "smart state" stuff? I have a feeling that this is going to end up being more trouble than it is worth.

Are the "soft buttons" context sensitive? Like, lets say I click the "watch DVR" activity. I want my DVRsA/B/C/D buttons to be usable (my DVR uses these buttons for most functions). Naturally, I don't want this for when I'm not using the DVR.

What about sub-activities? Like, for example, I have an HTPC. So let's say I choose "use HTPC" can I then have "View My Pictures" and "Listen to My Music" as subcommands that send a series of commands to my PC to make Windows Media Center switch to the correct option?

The information available online about this remote really seems to be lacking...

Logi Rook
Bugg77

I think most people here will gladly admit that there is limited formal documentation for the Harmony series. However, this remote is a mimic and can learn the commands of ANY IR remote. If you have to point your remote at the device you're controlling, it is IR. It is also meant to behave similarly to the remotes it is replacing.

In the Harmony FAQ on this forum there is a question about the list of supported devices. The answer states that there is no list because it is all of us users who have built the database. Every device that is found when you go through the setup wizard is because someone else took the time to teach the remote all the commands from the original remote. The underlying meaning of this is that Logitech did not go out and get all of the command codes from all of the electronics mfgs in the world. Consequently, if your device is not found, you do not have the original remote, and nothing else has worked, then Logitech customer support will call Sony or whoever and request the command codes on your behalf.

I'm not sure what you mean by "smart state", but when I press "Watch DirecTV DVR" the remote is smart enough to turn on my TV, set it to Input 8, turn on my A/V receiver, set it to TV/SAT, and turn on my DTV HD-DVR. The smartness continues in that the control buttons (Guide, Menu, FF, REW, etc) control my HD-DVR and the volume button controls my A/V receiver. I didn't have to do anything special to set this up, the wizard is smart enough to do it all. I have also added 6 or 7 very useful commands in the LCD.

To answer your sub-activities question, read my previous sentence. You can teach this thing any IR command and put those commands into the soft buttons.

This things is a slick device. I highly recommend it and I just bought it on a whim. One thing to keep in mind is that this remote is focused on "Activities" which is very different than most universal remotes. It really is smart enough that you don't have to constantly switch the remote from TV, to A/V Rec, to DVD, etc.

Just bite the bullet and get it
Logi Browser
dmeglio

In the Harmony FAQ on this forum there is a question about the list of supported devices. The answer states that there is no list because it is all of us users who have built the database. Every device that is found when you go through the setup wizard is because someone else took the time to teach the remote all the commands from the original remote.

Your answer makes no sense. How come I can't access this list you just spoke of? The setup wizard can access it, why not make it accessible from the website? This is the same answer Logitech gave me. "We can't give you the list because the list is dynamic" uhh guess someone better tell the other 90% of the websites on the Internet that dynamic content does not work because they seem to be handling it just fine!

I'm not sure what you mean by "smart state"

This isn't my word, it's Logitech's term. "Harmony is the world's only remote with Smart State Technology®, a patented technology which allows Harmony to track the state of each of your components." This sounds like it will be a terrible hassle. For example, when someone presses a button on the device, it is out of sync. I'd rather just turn that feature off.

To answer your sub-activities question, read my previous sentence. You can teach this thing any IR command and put those commands into the soft buttons.
Yes, but can I link them to activities. Meaning, I want the "Go to My Pictures" option only to be displayed when you click the "Use HTPC" button. If you click the, for example, "Watch HD DVD" button, then instead the LCD would show options like the A/B/C/D buttons.

Also, how does this remote work with HD DVD players that not only have up/down/left/right, but also have 4 diagonal keys?
Logi Rook
Bugg77

dmeglio wrote:

Your answer makes no sense. How come I can't access this list you just spoke of? The setup wizard can access it, why not make it accessible from the website? This is the same answer Logitech gave me. "We can't give you the list because the list is dynamic" uhh guess someone better tell the other 90% of the websites on the Internet that dynamic content does not work because they seem to be handling it just fine!

The reason (as I understand it) why they can't/won't give you the list is because it is USER CREATED CONTENT. Logitech only maintains the data storage of this information. They are not directly responsible for its accuracy. However if something from there doesn't work, then they are more than happy to help you. Not only that, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain that their device can't be controlled because, again, this remote will LEARN any IR command if you have the original remote.

Harmony is the world's only remote with Smart State Technology®, a patented technology which allows Harmony to track the state of each of your components." This sounds like it will be a terrible hassle. For example, when someone presses a button on the device, it is out of sync. I'd rather just turn that feature off.

The Smart State (since apparently that is what it is called) is a wonderful thing. I've had the remote get out of sync only once (maybe twice) in three months and it is as simple as pressing two buttons to get it back in sync. You don't have to reconnect it to a PC or reprogram it, just use the little help button on the remote. To give a straight answer to your question. I don't think you can turn this feature off, because then you'd have to reselect the activity you were on every time you picked up the remote (which would be a much bigger hassle in my opinion).

Yes, but can I link them to activities. Meaning, I want the "Go to My Pictures" option only to be displayed when you click the "Use HTPC" button. If you click the, for example, "Watch HD DVD" button, then instead the LCD would show options like the A/B/C/D buttons.

Also, how does this remote work with HD DVD players that not only have up/down/left/right, but also have 4 diagonal keys?

In your example, you would go to the setup software, select customize buttons under the "Use HTPC" button, select the additional buttons tab, and then select add sequence. This will let you create the "Go to My Pictures" activity to be displayed only in the "Use HTPC" activity.

As for the diagonal buttons, you could program them to be displayed in the soft keys, or map them to some other key. I don't know if the D-pad on the Harmony will register a diagonal button.

For people with more advanced setups (like it sounds like you have) the best thing to do is read through the forums and then buy the remote but save your receipt. If you're not happy, then return it no harm. This is a totally different concept to a universal remote and most complaints are from people who can't understand how this thing is supposed to work.

I really hope this helps you. This is a very capable and flexible remote. In most cases it is very easy to use and very straightforward.
Logi Browser
harmonious

Not sure if this is possible, but if you can download the 'remote software' you can install it and setup your devices/activities. This will at least give you an idea of what's possible. Unfortunately the 1000 software doesn't have a 'simulation' mode like the Philips 'Pronto Edit' does. I've had 2 Prontos, and the 1000 isn't as flexible, but it's a LOT easier to setup - and bare in mind the difference in price!
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

some background reading for the original poster

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays