Logi Browser
katdar

Harmony 7 Remote - programming with cable TV

I have successfully programmed my Harmony 7 Remote  with devices:   TV, Amplifier, and Cable box to come on when I press watch TV, However, to change channnels on the TV (I programmed to use  the TV to change channels) I have to go to the Device, Cable Box and press

power toggle to be able to change channels on the TV. 

What did I do wrong?

katdar

Logi Legend II
rhachey

Re: Harmony 7 Remote - programming with cable TV

In the software, select your Watch TV Activity, click on Customize Buttons, and change the mapping of your channel buttons from your TV to your Cable box

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

[ Edited ]

Hi katdar and welcome to the forum - with the Harmony 700 - right?

Well, to start with, you "programmed to use  the TV to change channels" when you wanted the channels from the cable receiver.

That's clear, but when you go to the receiver's device setting why do you have to "press power toggle to be able to change channels" - how does the power command come into changing channels?

The receiver should already be powered on, by the start of the Activity that includes it, so that PowerToggle should turn it off again.

H H

Logi Browser
katdar

The reason I had pushed the Toggle button on the Cable box is because it had not come on as

programmed.  Sorry i confused you. 

In regards to changing channels - from TV to Cable box - I believe I tried that once, but will try again.

A question about Watch TV activity - customize - changing Mapping - what do you mean by "Mapping"    Do I change TV to Cable box on all of them (ex:  exit, info, guide, etc)

I know I seem "dense" but I have not done this before and the poor remote quivers in fright when I

take it to my computer. :-((((  I hope I have not "Ruined it" since I have put it thru numerous programming attempts.

I do appreciate all of you for your suggestions and when I find out what "mapping" means, will try it.

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

[ Edited ]

That's OK about the Toggle - you should have used the Help button to fix that time it didn't work.

Customising and mapping mean the same thing - allocating to a hard button or a virtual screen button a command of your choice from any one of the devices that are in the activity. It's usually done for a  few extra commands that you want to include in an activity.

So, if you go to Activity> Customise Buttons and look on the Standard Buttons tab, you'll see the channel up and down buttons and the number buttons, and beside them the receiver should be selected as the device, and the appropriate command should be beside that - if they're not then put them right! You can do the same with other buttons if you wish - those exit and info and so on.

However all those should have been allocated automatically and you shouldn't need to do any of this particular Customising. You might be better to set up the activity again - use the manual method - select the right type and sub-type and specify which device is to do what - display video, change channels, control volume.

The 700 will be fine - there's nothing you can do in the software that will upset it!

Logi Browser
katdar

Thank you - I do not know which to try  - might look at the customizing and if I do not understand will go back and do it manually.

Really did try "changing channels from Cable box" once and it did not work?

Will let you know -

Thank you for your response.

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

[ Edited ]

That's OK and do let us know how you get on.

It would be a good idea to look at the Customise page first, if only to get an idea of what it's for.

You could also run Review Settings for the Activities to correct the assignments.

Setting them up again will probably turn out to be the best way though.

Logi Browser
katdar

I set the cable box to change channels instead of the tv.  This resulted in "Tuner" for the cable box and then the TV would

not show a picture.  So, I changed it back.

The remote shows "Watch TV" - this turns the TV, amplifier and Cable box on.    All these are show under "Devices"

I cannot use the TV + and - to change the channels - I have to go to the cable box in the device screen.   Otherwise everything

works fine.

We at least have everything on one remote - I am sooooo tired of fooling with the remote programming and the remote

is also!

Thank you all for your attention and help.  I really appreciate it.

Logi Legend II
rhachey

In the software, select your Watch TV Activity, select Customize Buttons, on the Standard Button tab, first select the Channel Up button, for the device it should have your Cable box as the device to control that button, if it has the TV as the device, change it to the Cable box, do the same for the Channel Down, and each of the number buttons  if they all have the Cable box as the device selected to control each button then your remote should control each button using the cable box, if it is not then there is something wrong with your remote and you should contact Logitech support about the problem.

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

katdar wrote:

I set the cable box to change channels instead of the tv.  This resulted in "Tuner" for the cable box and then the TV would

not show a picture.  So, I changed it back.

Rhachey has explained how to try to correct the problem since you changed it back.
Could you explain "this resulted in tuner" - what did you see, what happened?