Logi Browser
mdgalen

Harmony 880 will not work with Chinavision CVSB-983

I recently purchased the following item from Amazon with the hopes of using its IR reciever to control my HTPC when in XBMC. http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-USB-Remote-Control-Mouse/dp/B001M56DI0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Multiple people gave it reviews saying it works with Harmony remotes, and one even specifically gave the device as Chinavision CVSB-983 (and specifically said it worked with his 880).

When trying to program my Harmony 880 to control the IR device though, I have had no success. With the IR reciever plugged in, the harmony remote doesn't seem to be communicating at all with the IR reciever even while the original remote that came with the reciever works fine (to be clear, I've had no evidence it is communicating with the reciever, it could be communicating but just sending no useful codes). I've tried making it a generic device and just teaching it all the commands from the original remote, and while the Harmony learned them no problem, it still did nothing when sending them to the PC IR reciever.

I was wondering if anyone had any useful suggestions on how to fix this problem? This same remote works very well with all other devices I own.

Logi Legend II
rhachey

Re: Harmony 880 will not work with Chinavision CVSB-983

Try learning commands from the original remote to your Harmony remote.

Logi Browser
mdgalen

I tried teaching the commands from the original remote to the Harmony and had no luck. The Harmony detects the IR from the original remote and learns the commands fine, but when I actually try to use them, the HTPC is completely unresponsive to them (even when the original remote works quite well.)

Logi Legend II
rhachey

In the learning area, click on Custom at the bottom of the page and learn the commands as Raw.

Logi Browser
mdgalen

Awesome, learning as raw completely worked. The only problem now is it only had a few commands available to learn as raw that I would like to use, like mute, direction up, left, right, and down.

Now I want to teach it play, stop, and enter. Is there a way to learn those as raw? At the very bottom there is the Learn a New Command option, but it doesn't say anything about raw.

Logi Legend II
rhachey

If the command exists on your original remote, you can learn it to your Harmony as Raw, if it is not there then there in no way to learn it.  If you don't want to learn it over the command in the database, MyNewCommand can be used to learn it, simply type in a new name over MyNewCommand, the first time it is learned will be as Analyzed, you will have to then learn the command again as Raw.

Logi Browser
mdgalen

Perfect. Everything is working now, I just have to figure out how I want to layout the keys. Thank you very much for your help!

Logi Legend II
rhachey

Glad I could be of help.

Logi Nu
jwdv22

I wanted to thank every one. I had been emailing back and forth with Logitech support. I finally returned it to Amazon, but now I am confident to try again.

This was exactly what I was looking for.

Logi Nu
micster

I just signed up so I could say "Thank you."

By telling the Harmony to learn them in "raw" format, every button that worked with the Chinavision now work with my Harmony 900. Thanks again.