Logi Nu
jurlogotek

Harmony One - problems setting inputs on TV and Receiver

OK, it's going on about 4 hours messing with this thing and I am getting nowhere really.

I have four devices in play here.

Samsung HLT5687S television
Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver
Motorola DCH3200 cable box
Logitech Z5500 receiver

I also have an HTPC that is NOT controlled by any remote (well yet anyway).

I've set up all the devices and checked them with the remote.  They all respond to the appropriate commands as far as power on/off and for the TV and Receivers, selecting the correct inputs.

I think I must have some kind of timing issues, but I can't get a handle on what I need to change to get eveything working properly.  I will describe a few use cases so you will know what I am trying to do, and then I will descibe what happens.  I hope somebody can jump in and give me some direction after that.

Use Case 1 "watch TV" (everything starts powered off)

1 Turn on TV, select Component2 input
2 Turn on cable box
3 Turn on Onkyo receiver, select Game/TV input
4 watch television

So I set up an activity to do that and it works as intended.  Pretty spiffy, I thought.

Use Case 2 "use HTPC" (everything begins powered off)

1 Turn on TV, select HDMI! input (to be clear that is HDMI One input)
2 Turn on Onkyo receiver, select DVD (which is what the HTPC is connected to)
3 Turn on Logitech receiver, select 6 channel direct input
4 watch whatever

So I set up and activity to do all these things and it works.  Sort of: 

Use Case 3 (everything begins powered off)

1 select "Watch TV" activity
2 turn off everything using Harmony remote power button (everything turns off)
3 select "Use HTPC" activity
4 annoyance.... TV is still set to component 2.  All other devices behave as expected.

It only works if the TV was set to HDMI when it powered off.  If I press Help, it quickly changes the TV input to HDMI.

So I think the first problem is that my Power On delay on the TV is not long enough.  I've got it set at 10 seconds now, which seems excessive.  The TV is one of those LED models which powers on rather quickly.  Also, it does not seem to have any trouble switching the other way:

Use Case 4 (everything begins powered off)

1 select "Use HTPC" activity
2 power off using Harmony remote power button (everything turns off)
3 select "Watch TV" activity
4 everything behaves as expected

now there is this wrinkle:

Use Case 5 (everything begins powered off)

1 select "Watch TV" activity (success)
2 select "Use HTPC" activity (fail)

Annoyance... the TV remains on Component 2.  Eveything else switches correctly.

3 if i press help it changes to HDMI.
4 select "watch TV" activity (success)

So, it will happily perform the "Watch TV" activity in all cases.  It will not perform the "Use HTPC" activty successfully except when powering on, and only then if the TV was set to HDMI before powering off.

Somebody help, please.  Please let me know what information you might need to assist me and I will happily provide it.

Thanks!

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Re: Harmony One - problems setting inputs on TV and Receiver

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the forum and thanks for providing so much detail already!

One thing you don't mention is whether you've run the Troubleshoot.

The Power-On Delay for your TV is around the average.

To be sure, manually send the Power-On Command to the TV,  then check how long it takes before it will respond to another Command, such as an Input - that is the Power-On Delay.

Make sure that the Harmony Input Method is set correctly.

Devices> TV> Settings> Adjust Inputs> Method 2 then edit the list of Input Names to match those you use, and on the next page assign to each Name the correct Command from the dropdown list.

Message Edited by hhatkin on 07-25-2009 02:54 PM
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

jurlogotek wrote:

It only works if the TV was set to HDMI when it powered off.  If I press Help, it quickly changes the TV input to HDMI.

So I think the first problem is that my Power On delay on the TV is not long enough.  I've got it set at 10 seconds now, which seems excessive.  The TV is one of those LED models which powers on rather quickly.  Also, it does not seem to have any trouble switching the other way:

I think that model is an LED backlit DLP...it's still a projection based tv and samsungs have had 13 second or higher power on delays for some of their sets...so I definitely would try going higher 

in regards to 'case 5'...if the 'fail' is just the tv not changing inputs, you would also have to increase the interdevice delay for the tv...(see my signature for a link to the definition of delays...each with examples to make things clearer)...but in short, the commands for the other devices that the tv sees in this case might take longer to process than other commands...thus the tv is still busy processing other commands meant for other devices and isn't 'ready' again when the input command(s) are sent...

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Nu
jurlogotek

@hhatkin - I've run the troubleshooter.  It seemed to be very concerned with the input selection methodd, which I don't think is the problem.  The input method is set to 2, and all the commnans work from the devices -> tv menu on the remote.

Also, I set the power on delay up to 15 seconds and it did not make any difference.  I counted it out and it seemed to be about 7 or 8 seconds, but I bumped it to 15 to be sure. 

Thanks for the reply!

Logi Nu
jurlogotek

@WannabeActuary - The interdevice delay on the TV is 1000 ms now, bumping it up to 3 seconds to see if it helps now...
Logi Nu
jurlogotek

Still no joy.  From what I can tell, the TV never gets any command to switch inputs at all.... there is an LED on the TVI  that lights up when commands are received, and it never blinks at all in the case of switching from "Watch TV" to "Use HTPC".  This light does blink repeatedly during the power on cycle, so it is hard to tell exactly what is going on there.

FWIW, the "keep your remote pointed at the TV" or whatever it says message disappears well before the 15 seconds of the TV's power-on delay have expired.  If I am understanding correctly, the TV should not receive the "switch to HDMI" command until the 15 secons are expired?

What else can I try?

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

You understand correctly, and one way of testing it would be to watch the One's transmission indicator for the full fifteen seconds.
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

perhaps there is a bad 'timer' on the remote keeping track of your delays...

how old is the remote?

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays