Logi Browser
crabby
Accepted Solution

Harmony restrictions?

Hi guys, I was given a harmony 555 for christmas and (apart from the clicky buttons!!!) I love it :smileyvery-happy:

I have noticed a few problems though, which you might be able to help with... though I think they are actual limitations.

1.) I feel the firmware lacks a detailed understanding of device status. For example, I would like it if the remote held information regarding the volume and speaker levels for my amp. I do understand that you can get it to increase and decrease the levels on implementation of an activity, but the increase is by a specific amount and not to a specific level. Also, my DVD player doesn't automatically re-insert the drive on switch off, so it would be nice for the remote to send a close command on exit but only if it knew the drive was open.

Do you guys feel this is something that could be implemented, or is this sort of detail just a pipe dream/

2.) I believe you can't switch off a specific device 'manually'. Again, I may be wrong. I feel that, as you can select specific devices through the 'Devices' button then thaty should allow you to specifically command that device to do what you want. The reason I would like this is because my girlfriend has a ridiculous little set of ipod speakers which manage to turn on the television whenever she presses a button, but cannot actually turn the set back off!

I feel the activities idea is brilliant, but I can't see why the remote won't allow you to switch off a device if you select it specifically?

They are my two main issues at the moment. Any opinions, advice or general blatherings welcome!

Thanks,

crabby

Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

Re: Harmony restrictions?

1. I doubt it'll happen.  certain receivers already have this ability.  my onkyo 806 has the ability to set a default volume level for each input.  since each input corresponds to an activity, this works very well. 

2. you can...the NON-preferred method is to press the device button and then find the power toggle or power off button on the LCD.  that will turn off the one device, but it will confuse the smart state technology unless your device happens to use discrete power commands.  the preferred method (if this is a common situation) is to create two activities, one that uses all the devices you want and another that uses all the devices except the one you are looking to turn off.  when you want to turn that device off, just start the second activity (the one without the device)....the only change should be that device turning off

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Legend II
hhatkin

[ Edited ]

Hi crabby and welcome.

Harmonys can "remember"  what power and input commands they have sent automatically, but it's too much to expect them to remember other commands that you have sent manually!

Your point about the DVD "inserting" isn't clear - could you give more details?

What makes you think  "the remote won't allow you to switch off a device if you select it specifically"?

The power command is in there somewhere, on either standard or additional buttons.

It is much better though to leave the Devices area well alone - just leave it for its proper purpose, storing the data, and use Activties for all controlling - -they're what you pay extra for in Harmonys after all.

Message Edited by hhatkin on 01-02-2009 07:16 AM
Logi Browser
crabby

Now... when you say you doubt it will happen... Is that because it's really hard to do? Wouldn't it simply be a case of having a list of 'states' per device with which the remote can refer to? Or could it be that if the remote were to get 'out of sync with the devices, that it would be much more difficult to sort it out?

I just feel it would be nice to be able to go from watching the telly to playing a DVD and automatically setting up each speaker plus the lights and the TV colour etc at all predetermined levels. You say your Onkyo does this already, so it can't be a hardware issue can it?

And with the second part... I'll give that a go thanks :d

crabby

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

It's more a matter of what the Devices can do than of what the Harmony can do.

If a Device can do some clever trick through its own remote then the Harmony can be made to do the same thing.

Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

crabby wrote:

Now... when you say you doubt it will happen... Is that because it's really hard to do? Wouldn't it simply be a case of having a list of 'states' per device with which the remote can refer to? Or could it be that if the remote were to get 'out of sync with the devices, that it would be much more difficult to sort it out?

I just feel it would be nice to be able to go from watching the telly to playing a DVD and automatically setting up each speaker plus the lights and the TV colour etc at all predetermined levels. You say your Onkyo does this already, so it can't be a hardware issue can it?

And with the second part... I'll give that a go thanks :d

crabby

I just doube it because how hard it would be to track.  IMO, if this is a feature you need, then your only solution would be to get a receiver that could control this for you.

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Summary: It's the Devices that have the restrictions, not the Harmony.
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

hhatkin wrote:
Summary: It's the Devices that have the restrictions, not the Harmony.

exactly

Logi Browser
crabby

When I switched to the device manually, I tried the power button at the top of the remote, which did not have the desired effect... so I will put a power toggle in the menu of commands and I'm sure that'll work.

The limitations of the remote are certainly not an issue... I love the remote to bits! I think it's more of an 'in the future' ideal rather than a requirement for me.

Having said that, I can't see how there is much of a difference between the harmony knowing the activity it's on and knowing if the drive is open or closed.

It's this issue which shows up the fact that the Harmony remotes don't really 'know' anything about the devices. Instead it uses macros to move between one activity and another. As such, it limits the data it needs to (in the case of the 555) a maximum of 12 macros - being 3 for each activity (each one being designed to get it to one of the other 3 activities).

I just think it would be nice for the macros to be editable in 'realtime', which would allow for device status changes during use. I understand this is difficult, but isn't it also the way things should go?

crabby

Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

it doesn't use macros (which are set commands)...it tracks the power/input status and can send fluidly different commands to make sure the power and input commands that are needed are sent, regardless of starting point...however, if does require you to ONLY use activities for changing power and input status...otherwise the remote can't track the current state