Logi Visitor
Aldaron

Multiple Similar Activities; Duplicating Activities?

I have a device configuration that has several variations on

Source -> HDMI Switch -> AV Receiver -> TV

where I want to use the switch the select among different sources. I want each source to correspond to its own activity. I think I've managed to set this all up manually using a utility/generic activity, but is there a simpler way? Why can't I set up several "Watch Movie" or several "Watch TV" activities with mostly the same devices. Even better would be a way to copy an activity to use as a starting point for creating a very similar one. Can that be done?
Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Re: Multiple Similar Activities; Duplicating Activities?

[ Edited ]

What you want is one of the basic things that people do with their Harmonys!

You can set up as many Activities of the same or different types as you wish, with variations, and name them to distinguish them.

Let us know what specific problems you have had in doing that.

The Utility Activity is a last resort and is best avoided!

Message Edited by hhatkin on 01-07-2009 03:22 PM
Logi Visitor
Aldaron

[ Edited ]
Well, I chose "Add Activity" and had a choice between "Automatic" and "Manual". Automatic only gave me choices for "left over" activities that I hadn't already configured (e.g. listening to radio), not choices to create another activity like the one's I had. So that was a dead end. Manual didn't really have what I wanted among its choices either (e.g., watching a saved or streamed movie on vudu). Choosing something close either produces the wrong list of choices for sources (e.g., watching a DVD/Laserdisc, deadends in the selection of source devices; the VUDU isn't listed) or takes me to the page for adding an entirely new device (rather than the list of existing devices). I can get close with "Watch TV" / "PVR other than Tivo", but that assumes I want to use the cablebox, which isn't involved. I can also get close with "Watch TV" / "Media Center PC", but that assumes I want to change channels with the VUDU, and also sets the "input" (there is none) on the VUDU to "Tuner" (and I can't do anything to get rid of that).

So all in all, Utility is the only way to get it right. The configuration tool is behaving like it doesn't really know what the VUDU does.

Message Edited by Aldaron on 01-07-2009 07:22 PM
Logi Legend II
hhatkin

[ Edited ]

Maybe it doesn't - I must admit I've never heard of it.

However the pretty wide selection of standard Activities is meant to cater for every need and there have to be ways of getting the right combinations into them for you.

One way out of some problems is to add an Additional Device to a standard Activity.

That way you don't have to set anything for it to be done autoamtically and you can customise buttons in the Activity to cover its commands.

You can start with the simplest possible type, such as the basic Watch TV, and then add other Devices.

This like the Utility but with the advantage of having most of the buttons assigned from the start.

Message Edited by hhatkin on 01-07-2009 04:27 PM
Logi Visitor
Aldaron

Yes, but as outlined above, that works against me. The whole thing would be simple of it were possible to copy an existing activity (to use as the starting point for a new, similar one).

It would also be nice to be able to assign icons to activities, now I'm stuck with the dorky "utility" icon for my VUDU watching activity.
Logi Guru
listener

Aldaron wrote:
Yes, but as outlined above, that works against me. The whole thing would be simple of it were possible to copy an existing activity (to use as the starting point for a new, similar one).

Often wished, also by me, but never realized by Logitech so far.

It would also be nice to be able to assign icons to activities, now I'm stuck with the dorky "utility" icon for my VUDU watching activity.

Possible only with the brand-new Harmony 1100, according to the first reviews.

Greetings

listener

Harmony 900 with Fujitsu-Siemens TV (Myrica V30-1), Yamaha-AV (RX-V461), Teufel-5.1-Speakers (Concept-S), Sony DVD (DVP-NS76H), Sony VCR (SLV-SE800D1), LG PVR (RH-278H), Pioneer Mini System (CD, Radio, Tape) (DC-Z94), Logitech Squeezebox Radio and iPod touch 32GB. Did you read Wannabe's FAQ's?
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

the 1100 does NOT have custom activity icons...what you're likely confusing is that the left and right side buttons within each subscreen of the ativity are fully customizable...and you can use any of the included button images for those locations like thumbs up, thumbs down, eject, etc...

if you read the description closer ("Customizable icons and controls: You choose the commands you want to see, when you want to see them. Even choose the icons you want to use for each command.") you'll see that it says 'icons you want to use for each command'....it doesn't say icons you want to use for each activity.  IMO, it's poor wording to use the word icon...it should have been image or something else.

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Legend II
hhatkin

[ Edited ]

Aldaron wrote:
not choices to create another activity like the one's I had
The configuration tool is behaving like it doesn't really know what the VUDU does.

I don't know what the VUDO does, or IS!

You can set up as many Activities as you want, "like the ones you had"- what makes you think you can't? That's within the total limit of your particular model of Harmony, of course.

Your other points seem to be covered by the fact that if something that you want in an Activity isn't included at first you can include it as an Additional Device.

Some Devices do give an option for setting an input even though they don't have any, but this does not matter as you can set anything and it will be ignored.

I may be missing something, but from the account you give I can't see anything that can't be achieved within the scope of the current Standard Activities.

Many of us have much more complex combinations of Devices made into those Activities.

I've now checked out Vudu, and it looks like an interesting and potentially very useful device.
The principle though is very new, and it is not too surprising that it isn't yet fully covered for Harmonys.
I suggest bringing it directly to the attention of Logitech support who would no doubt welcome the opportunity to update.
They would also arrange for it to be regarded correctly as a Device for use in the PlayDVD Activity option.

Message Edited by hhatkin on 01-08-2009 11:23 AM
Logi Guru
listener

@WA: Thank's for the clarification!

Greetings

listener

Harmony 900 with Fujitsu-Siemens TV (Myrica V30-1), Yamaha-AV (RX-V461), Teufel-5.1-Speakers (Concept-S), Sony DVD (DVP-NS76H), Sony VCR (SLV-SE800D1), LG PVR (RH-278H), Pioneer Mini System (CD, Radio, Tape) (DC-Z94), Logitech Squeezebox Radio and iPod touch 32GB. Did you read Wannabe's FAQ's?
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

no problem...

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays