Logi Browser
rjeffords

My Harmony Woes! (Vizio TV + HDMI switch = programming nightmare!)

I've owned my Logitech Harmony for several years and have been extremely happy with it.  I have definitely noticed certain shortcomings of the product, but so far there always seems to be a work around (which is GREAT!).  Before we go any further, I thought I'd list my relevant devices:

1. Vizio VX-42L
  2. Sony BDP-S301
  3. Roku N1000
  4. Apple TV
  5. Wii
  6. Denon AVR-688
  7. MonoPrice HDX-401TA (HDMI Switcher)

So, upon purchasing the Harmony for my Vizio, I was immediately stumped with the input programming.  Putting 2 and 2 together, I followed everyone else's instructions to set the input the RGB, then to HDMI for HDMI 1, or RGB, HDMI, HDMI for HDMI 2.  Not a huge fan of that solution, but it works!

Since my receiver has rather poor HDMI switching support, I recently purchased a MonoPrice HDX-401TA HDMI switcher.  4 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, 1 digital coax output, 1 toslink output, 1 3.5mm stereo output.  The plan was to run all 4 HDMI devices to the switcher and run 1 hdmi to my TV and 1 optical to my Denon receiver.

To my frustration I found that I could NOT just "leave" my TV on a specific input (HDMI 1) ...every time an activity is selected, I have to select the input for the TV.  So, I'm still stuck with the RGB > HDMI solution.  Next I found out that the HDMI switcher freaks out if the destination (TV) input is changed.  (I guess it has something to do with HDMI signaling).  So while the switcher simplified my wiring, I had to do a ton of new programming.  See my "Watch TV" setup below:

http://screencast.com/t/Y2ZlZjU5NTk

The hdmi switcher has to do a quick power cycle because it loses signal when the TV switches from RGB to HDMI.

Questions

1. Is there absolutely ANY way I can have my TV turn on, but NOT set an input?  I just want to leave it on what it's on.  On any activity that doesn't use HDMI 1, I can just set the exit event to always put it back.  Same applies for my receiver for that matter -- I'd love to not have to set an input and just assume it's on the right input.
  2. Is Logitech EVER going to natively support the Vizio's input schema?
Logi Legend II
rhachey

Re: My Harmony Woes! (Vizio TV + HDMI switch = programming nightmare!)

Yes there is a way, in the software, select Devices, Settings, Adjust inputs, Method 1, on the next screen reduce the inputs to just the one you need, and on the next screen select the command that will take you to that input. Since it is always on the correct input and using the toggling method the input command will never be sent

Logi Visitor
nohar75

Hi,

1) you will have to set up your TV on HDMI1 for each activity, no other way but like this your TV won't change the inputs except if it's needed. As a device using differents inputs you can only leave it on one specific input by this way.

You said :

"Next I found out that the HDMI switcher freaks out if the destination (TV) input is changed.  (I guess it has something to do with HDMI signaling)".

It looks like the HDMI Consumer Electric Control option (HDMI Link) is activated on your TV, but also check it for others devices.

Here is a list for a few brands :

Samsung - HDMI-CEC - AnyNet - HDMI control
Sony - BraviaLink
Sharp- Aquos Link
Panasonic - AnyNet - VIERA Link
LG - SimpLink

Mitsubishi - Net Command
Philips - Easy sync
JVC- Compulink/AV Compulink

Turning off this option will help.

2) Your Vizio TV  VX-42L HDTV10A works in method 2 (Input settings) and have all the commands to directly change the inputs.

"Not a huge fan of that solution, but it works!" >> the changes you made have to be done in the input settings and not in the activities...

Hope this helps...

Logi Browser
rjeffords

So here's the next situation ... I do have one activity that changes the input to component 1 (Play Wii), so will changing the input to "method 1" still work?

Also, I'm not sure I followed about the HDMI consumer electronics control...should this be a setting on my TV's menu?

Logi Browser
rjeffords

Interesting!  I just noticed if I add my TV as VX-42L HDTV10A not just VX-42L, there are more options for method 2 input style... specifically "SetInputType HDMI1"...NICE!  I'll reprogram the remote for this and see how it works!

Logi Browser
rjeffords

Research the HDMI CEC thing a little more.  The only problem I seem to be having now is with my cable box (Motorola VIP1200).  Being that I can't turn off CEC on my TV ...anyone have any idea if I can through my box?

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

[ Edited ]

rjeffords wrote:

I do have one activity that changes the input to component 1 (Play Wii), so will changing the input to "method 1" still work?

No, you need to do it in Method 2.

Reduce the list of Input Names to two entries, such as Comp and HDMI.

Set their Commands to be InputComp1 and "none".

Set this Activity to Comp and include as "Additional Commands When Activity Ends" the actual command or commands that are needed to set the Input required for all the other Activities.

Set all the other Activities to HDMI, which will do nothing - simply leave the setting the way it was.

Logi Browser
rjeffords

What's the difference between SetInputType HDMI and SetHDMIInput HDMI 1

???

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

[ Edited ]

I don't know, but you shouldn't need ANY of those SetInputType commands!

The simple InputComponent command is the only one you need to apply the solution I suggested in my previous post.

In post #4 you already had a command that would set the Component input reliably.

There was no need to change from that to the other model.

Logi Browser
rjeffords

...and if I want to use both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2?

...turns out another unrelated problem I'm having with my Apple TV is due to the incompatibility between my Apple TV and my HDMI switch (which means I need to run the Apple TV directly to the TV itself.