Logi Browser
MEight

Need Help changing inputs with Vizio GV42L

Hello.

Need some help. I haven't been able to figure out how to program the remote in order for it choose the appropriate input.

I'm suspecting that the problem I am having is setting up the "TV" device.

First Off. I have changed the list of inputs to match that of the TV:
TV
AV1
AV2
COMPONENT 1
COMPONENT 2
RGB
HDMI 1
HDMI 2

The problem I'm having is that none of the 4 input methods match the way my remote controls the TV.

Option1: On the remote, there is an input button that allows me to cycle through the list of inputs. BUT the problem is that when it is pressed, it first brings up the list of menus! Therefore the Method1 in the programming software does not work! It always just brings up list of input screen.

Option2: On the remote, I can semi-directly select the input. There is a TV button for TV input. But for the AV1 and AV2. It's simply pressing the sole AV button to toggle between the inputs. Same goes for the Component1 and Component2. It requires pressing the only Component button to toggle between the inputs. Thus the Method2 in the programming software also does not work. Going back and forth from TV and Playing Game works fine, but once the TV is off. Selecting the wrong activity to start would cause a problem.

If anyone can offer any help. It is GREATLY appreciated.

=)

Logi Browser
budshane

Re: Need Help changing inputs with Vizio GV42L

I have the same TV.  I called support, finally worked my way up to the 2nd level where a technicion modified my setup to keep track of which component and which av I had used last.  (I have a cable box on Comp 1, a DVD on Comp 2 and a VCR on AV1).  I asked if the data base would be changed to reflect these changes and he said not just for 1 TV so they now will have to do it for yours too.

Another approach is to learn raw commands from the existing remote.  To switch to component1 for example, send RGB, Comp.  To switch to component 2, send RGB, Comp, Comp.  The same would apply to the 2 AV inputs.  When you switch to a different input, the Comp or AV always start with 1.  The TV tuner is no problem since there is only one.  I think I had to learn a few other commands from the remote also.

Of course if Logitech changes things so you can no longer learn multiple button pushes in raw mode, the method above won't work.

Everything worked fine until last Sunday when they changed the web software.  Now what shows for the buttons on the web page and what gets downloaded to the remote are not the same.  Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Good luck.
Logi Rook
Cinge

MEight wrote:
Hello.

Need some help. I haven't been able to figure out how to program the remote in order for it choose the appropriate input.

I'm suspecting that the problem I am having is setting up the "TV" device.

First Off. I have changed the list of inputs to match that of the TV:
TV
AV1
AV2
COMPONENT 1
COMPONENT 2
RGB
HDMI 1
HDMI 2

The problem I'm having is that none of the 4 input methods match the way my remote controls the TV.

Option1: On the remote, there is an input button that allows me to cycle through the list of inputs. BUT the problem is that when it is pressed, it first brings up the list of menus! Therefore the Method1 in the programming software does not work! It always just brings up list of input screen.

Option2: On the remote, I can semi-directly select the input. There is a TV button for TV input. But for the AV1 and AV2. It's simply pressing the sole AV button to toggle between the inputs. Same goes for the Component1 and Component2. It requires pressing the only Component button to toggle between the inputs. Thus the Method2 in the programming software also does not work. Going back and forth from TV and Playing Game works fine, but once the TV is off. Selecting the wrong activity to start would cause a problem.

If anyone can offer any help. It is GREATLY appreciated.

=)

Option1: You press that button and it brings up a menu of all your inputs correct? Do you then scroll through these inputs? with the same button or direction down?
If so, there is a option for that. Option 3 of the Input methods is this exact method.
Logi Browser
MEight

Thanxs. Budshane and Cinge. Have to head out for a business trip today so I won't get a chance to try your suggestions until the coming Monday. I'll let you know how I get it resolved.

Cinge: after pressing input select, it brings up the list of inputs. repeatedly pressing the input select button will cycle through the list (direction buttons don't work).
Logi Browser
MEight

SOLUTION FOUND for Changing Inputs on Vizio GV42L

-- FOREWORD --

Thanks again for all the help.

At this time, the Logitech Harmony Remote 7.2.1 software does not allow the learning of multiple raw commands. (At least, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it). It does allow me to learn single raw commands. So that option is out of the question.

I haven't given Logitech support a call yet. Frankly. I can't find their phone number! (but I haven't looked that thorughly). But I did sent them an e-mail.

-- SOLUTION FOUND --

Going with Cinge's advise. I tried to use Option 3 of the adjust input of the device settings.

It asks me to learn 3 commands. (1) inputstart (2) inputnext (3) inputfinish

I mapped them accordingly:

(1) inputstart = input
(2) inputnext = input
(3) inputfinish = enter  (this is just a dummy key)

Now here is the REAL KEY to the solution! You'll need to "Adjust the Delays (Speed Settings)"! (You can find this in the device tab, under each device setting).

I'm not exactly sure which devices you need to adjust and which one of the following settings you need to change. But what worked for me was to simply change ALL the devices (I only have PVR, TV, DVD, and XBOX 360 to change. Not too complicated) accordingly:

InterKey Delay = 0
Input Delay = 0
Inter-Device Delay = 0

This allowed the remote to cycle through the list and find the appropriate input.
Logi Browser
budshane

Re: SOLUTION FOUND for Changing Inputs on Vizio GV42L

[ Edited ]
Glad you got it working.  BTW they now have version 7.3 available, not much difference.

I have a cable box on Comp 1 and a DVD player on Comp 2.  Logitech's commands for InputComp1 and 2 don't do anything, so I went to learn IR and pressed the Custom button which lets you learn raw commands.  Then for Comp1, I sent in succession from the TV remote; RGB (this is to get it off of whatever it was on, like already on Comp1), Comp.  In other words, I pressed the RGB button then the Comp1-2 button.

For InputComp2 I used; RGB, Comp, Comp.  The two presses of Comp put it on Comp2.  This works quite well and saves a lot of cycling. 

I also have an X10 Light controller and needed to have double commands sent for it. Example might be  3 on or 4 off.  I named these 3on and 4off and used a press of 3 and a press of on on the remote.  Works fine so far.
Bud

Message Edited by budshane on 05-08-200709:04 PM

Logi Nu
crcucb

Re: SOLUTION FOUND for Changing Inputs on Vizio GV42L

I just got a GV42L and have a Harmony 670 and not having much luck trying to figure this out. You mention an RGB button, what is the RGB button on the GV42L remote? I need some good directions to get my harmony to select the correct input.