Logi Nu
sceilig

Philips DVD Player Standby mode

I am using the Harmony 550 remote. My philips dvd player (DVP5982) goes into standby mode if not in use. That creates a problem with trying to a setup an activity to watch a dvd.

Initially I had set the watch DVD activity to turn on TV and the DVD player, set the right channel and it would work fine. However sometimes I would want to put in a dvd first and so the DVD player would be already on when I hit the 'watch DVD' activity and consequently the DVD player would turn off (due to the activity toggling power for the dvd).

Instead, I set my remote to always have the DVD player always on. But because my dvd player goes into standby mode, when I go to watch a DVD, the activity doesn't take it out of standby mode. I also tried assigning a button on the remote to be the 'PowerToggle' for the dvd but that doesnt seem to turn the dvd on or off.

Any ideas?
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

Re: Philips DVD Player Standby mode

1. always start the activity before loading the dvd.  I basically press watch dvd, then go get the movie and put it in.
2. find the real power command and assign that to the LCD

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Apprentice
JanvdWouw

Check if your DVD-player supports Discrete commands.

Or if the player wakes up to other commands, program your
remote to send one of those at the start of the Activity.
Like my DVD-player also wakes up when i press "Eject" on
the remote, so having "Eject" sent at the start of an
Activity will wake it up if neccesary and open up the drawer...
Logi Nu
oldgraymare

I am using the Harmony 880 remote with a philips dvd recorder (DVDR3575) and had the same problem
in that the Philips unit goes into standby mode if not in use.

I eventually changed to have the philips unit set up to remain on all the time as you did.

Then in an activity, I sent the "PowerToggle" once to turn it off. Then I send about a 5 seconds delay and then send the "PowerToggle" again to turn it on. ( I only send a 2 second delay to the Philips unit but I send other delays to the TV between the 1st powertoggle and the 2nd powertoggle. So it if the delays are device independent (?) than it totals 5 seconds delay.).

I also can use the "Device" button to switch control to the DVD recorder unit on the remote and then have a PowerToggle soft button available in the window just in case I need it.

I like the other suggestion offered of trying to figure out if another button might bring it out of standby as a side effect.

Good luck!