Logi Nu
CityFront

Programming the Harmony 1000 and Sony DVP-CX995V 400-Disc DVD Mega Changer?

Hello. Has anyone successfully programmed the Harmony 1000 and Sony DVP-CX995V 400-Disc DVD Mega Changer to work with movie names on the remote? And if so, how did you do it? I thought it might be similar to adding my favorite channels with the icons from www.iconharmony.com but that does not seem to be the case. I have about 120 Disney movies I'd like to load up for my kids (e.g., trying to make the remote as kid & wife friendly as possible).

I just bought the Harmony 1000 and am attempting to have it programmed by Christmas (for our new home theatre room). For the most part I plan on using just HDMI ports.

I have a Sony DVPCX995V DVD, Panasonic PT-AE3000U, Onkyo TX-SR674 7.1 Receiver, XBox 360, and Wii. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,

Brady

Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

Re: Programming the Harmony 1000 and Sony DVP-CX995V 400-Disc DVD Mega Changer?

[ Edited ]
start in this thread...for some good information...should be possible on your remote...then follow the link in message #4 which takes you to another good informational thread...and the second post in that thread has the two links you'll need.  the bullet point number 2 ultimately takes you here, where posts #3 and #5 give you the details you should need
Message Edited by WannabeActuary on 12-03-2008 01:49 PM

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Nu
CityFront

WannabeActuary,

Hello. Thanks for the insight. I spent the better part of today reading up on this and visiting for 20-minutes with Logitech support about the Harmony 1000 and what I was trying to accomplish.

At the end of the day, I found this Logitech FAQ that states "Reference: How do I setup Disc titles for my CD or DVD Jukebox?

This article applies to the following products: Harmony 1000 and Harmony One. Unfortunately DVD and CD media listings are NOT available for the Harmony 1000 and Harmony One remotes. FAQID=1215" which I find hard to believe.

I was however able to incorporate some help from forum user nws103 at the remotecentral.com site that enables me to choose the "Numbered" slots instead of the desired "Setup Media" option. I edited and updated his well-written information for clarity and it seems to work...this will only enable Harmony 1000 users to choose the DVD's based on their slot location NOT create the "Favorite DVD" media list I was hoping for....I wrongly supposed based on price and the numerics that the Harmony 1000 would be the most advanced in the Harmony lineup:

1. On your Logitech homepage under the "Devices" section, under "DVD - Sony DVD (DVP-CX995V)" choose "Settings".
2. Check the box for "Advanced setup for this device" and click NEXT;
3. Check the box for "I want to turn off this device when it's not in use" and click NEXT;.
4. Check the box for "One button on the remote for turning it both On and Off" and click NEXT;

5. Check the box for "I don't have the original remote, but I know the commands that are used: PowerToggle" and click NEXT (e.g.., you could also use the Sony remote);
6. Review the page with the response/delay times (e.g., my times were "1500, 500, 1000") and click "NEXT";

7. Enter the number of discs your dvd player can hold: "400" and click NEXT;

8. Check the box for "I use number keys to select a disc" and click NEXT;

Here's where it becomes more complicated:

9. For the question "What command do you use to START disc selection?" choose the phrase "My device needs more than one command to turn it on and off." and click NEXT;
10. There should be multiple dropdown boxes now. For the first one, choose "Display". For the second, choose "DirectionRight" and leave the third empty and click NEXT

11. For the question "What command do you use to FINISH disc selection?" choose the phrase "My device needs more than one command to turn it on and off." and click NEXT;
12. For the first dropdown, pick "Select", for the second AND third dropdown pick "Display" (e.g., this is done to get rid of the display screen afterwards) and click NEXT;

Then keep clicking "NEXT" until you're out of that screen and back to the homepage...then upload your changes to the remote and numbered selection functions should work fine."

If anyone knows a workaround for creating a "Favorite DVD" media list for the Harmony 1000 I sure am interested. Supposedly, the media listings can be enabled on other Harmony remotes.

Until then it looks like I will be publishing a spread sheet with numbers and Disney movies to work off.

Thanks,

Brady

Logi Browser

HelloCityFront

I used to have a custom built hometheater and I had a Pronto remote. I bought the remote in order to be able to place all of my movie titles on the remote, at the time my DVD library was at 300 and it was a pain using the Sony firmware built in the DVD player . It took some time to get the DVD's in the remote but when it was complete it was awesome.

For now unfortunately my wife bought me the H1000 for christmas and after doing my research I think I am going to return it for the pronto. Unless logitech finds a way to open the user software. I see that the PRONTO's (panel remotes) are very expensive, but from my own past experience with the remote it was fully programmible and the programming Macro feature was awesome (back then they only had monochrome touch screen remotes).

So after reading your thread, I am leaning toward the Phillip Pronto remote and have my wife return the remote and I am going to front the extra $500 in order to just get the Pronto remote. Programming of the logitech seems so limited and I had reservations when I found out that the software was totally internet based (not really certain why logitech did not give the remote more open ended IDE especially for its price and feature set).

How do you like the remote so far, is it meeting your needs? Or do you think it should be able to do more? I am still open and since your use of the product seems so much in line with mine I am very eagerly awaiting your response,

Thanks in advance,

IMANYM

Logi Nu
CityFront

Imanym,

Hello. I am still in the process of building the home theatre room and have yet to unwrap and install the projector, receiver, and other equipment. The sheetrockers just barely left a few days ago and my spouse is painting the theatre room and I still need to install the in-wall speakers. My kids don't really know what the room really is for and soon it will be locked until Christmas. After my kids go to bed, I have been programming the remote with just our regular TV's and the Sony Mega-Changer to see what it is capable of and for the most part have been disappointed with the interaction with the mega changer (it really looks like I am going to have to go buy a keyboard and use the Sony firmware).

I really like that I can program Harmony 1000 remote with their favorite Kids Channels with up to 24 icons (e.g., right now I have allowed them 8) that are seperate from the Parent Channels and icons...the icons can be picked up at www.iconharmony.com which make the touch screen look pretty cool and easy to use. I was really hoping for a simplified process when it came to using the difficult mega changer.

I have been hoping for a response from Logitech for a workaround. On the surface, it looks to me that the Harmony 1000 cannot really do anything more with regards to the Sony Mega Changer unless I use the Sony firmware. If you see or hear of a potential way of making a media list on the Harmony 1000 remote please let me know.

Thanks,

Brady

I have a Harmony 1000, DVP-CX995V, PT-AE3000U, TX-SR674, Xbox 360 & Wii

Logi Browser

WOW, thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds really awesome, I had my home theater back when the Lord Of The Rings Fellowship Of The Ring came out on DVD. You and your family is really going to enjoy it. My best regards,

However, after hearing your difficulty I am less likely to even open the box and just ship the thing back to amazon. I may open it up to see if it will do what I want (and the dvd jukebox interface is a very important one). If I can not, I have far less commitment to this remote (man it really looks pretty) and will more than likely try to return or just place on ebay.
I will let you know. Thanks again

...........You know what i made a decision i am going to open it and play with it a bit today. I will keep you posted.   

Thanks again,

IMANYM

Logi Nu
CityFront

After programming the Harmony 1000 did you have any success with the Sony 995?

Brady

Logi Browser

Hello CityFront, absolutely no success yet. I did develop a step by step manual following the instructions that was provided by the logitech staff. I developed the manual so they can see that it does not work. It seems logically when you select a disc that is greater than the number 9, you will need the remote to manually press these buttons for you. In order to do that you would need to create an activity (unfortunately the limit to activities is 200) in my way of thinking an activity would be the same as a macro, where it records button pressess and automates the process of multiple button presses to emulate one.

As per Logitech, I should be able to select a 400 cd player jukebox from the product database and this will give me another option to select the means in which the disc(s) are selected. Once that is done then I would finish answering the questions and then move on. Once completed there is supposed to be a spreadsheet option(should be a link) beside my device which will give me the list of 1 - 400 cells and I should be able to type in the movie/cd title in the respective cd # row. The only thing I would need to know is the place of the DVD/CD. This is where I am seeing a problem, it simply does not work. As you may know I just got the device and have been setting this up for the past 4 days and have run into many road blocks. My guess is this software is not ideal for this premium remote from there line. The other remote which is touch screen has a very small screen which would limit the amount of visual items on the screen, so I can see this software working better for that device. I do not think this software was updated with this product in mind at all.

Once I have completed my step by step manual, give me your email and I will send it to you.

Sorry for the long...... but to simply anser your question, no I have not gotten it to work as of yet.

Logi Nu
jonbreen2000

I too have been interested in getting the Harmony 1000 to work with my Sony changers. (I've got three of them, with the third one loaded to DVD #329 !  Each one using a different remote :-(  ) I use DVDProfiler to keep my listings straight and print out updated booklets of my collections.

I just purchased the Harmony 1000 last week because I was under the impression the I could somehow upload a csv file to it and then it would create the list for me. ( I thought I remembered reading about it somewhere)

How disappointed I am to hear what REALLY is happening.

If either of you guys get this going - PLEASE let me know !

Until then I guess I'll keep playing with this on my own. If I get it going, I'll reply back so you'll know as well.  If I don't and you guys don't either - I guess there'll be another Harmony 1000 on Ebay !

Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

I'm also a dvdprofiler user...

not as many dvds as you...well hard to say my exact number because of how dvd profiler counts items (dvd season = 1 item, box sets = 1 item, etc...)...

anyway, it does appear that the last models capable of a media list of a changer was the 800 series.  I haven't seen anyone using a One or a 1000 with a media list

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays