Logi Nu
ccd1006

Samsung Plasma TV Input Options not Working

[ Edited ]
3/11/07 - Updated w/new information.

First of all I have searched and did not find something close.

I have a Samsung SPN4235 Plasma 42"

The TV remembers the input selection when powered off.
When you have to move that selection, it always starts from the first inpuit selection (TV).

The programming is not working for two parts of the TV Adjust Inputs.

Here is my setup under Adjust inputs for the TV:
-Method 3 selected (Select this method if your TV is a Samsung, or if you press a button to bring up an on-screen menu of source inputs, press a different button to cycle between them, and press a third button to accept the selection.)
-Device Order: TV, Video, S-Video, Comp1, Comp2, PC, DVI
-When cycling through inputs, does your TV skip over inputs that are not connected? (Yes)
-Not connected(only Video)
-Select the remote buttons you press to: display the source inputs menu, cycle through the menu, and confirm the source input selection: Source Input Menu(StartInput), Source Input Cycle (NextInput), Source Input Compl (FinishInput)
- When the on-screen menu comes up to select inputs, is TV always the default selection? (yes)
- Turn your TV Off and then back On again. Does it go to a particular input, or stay where it was? Stays on whatefver it was when it was turned off

When saved, the following is not accepted (defaults to other setting):
-Select the remote buttons you press to: display the source inputs menu, cycle through the menu, and confirm the source input selection: Source Input Menu(SelectCommand) => should be StartInput
- When the on-screen menu comes up to select inputs, is TV always the default selection? (No) => should be yes.

{3/11/07 Update} If I select "No" for "When the on-screen menu comes up to select inputs, is TV always the default selection?", then the "Source Input Menu(StartInput)" does not reset to "Source Input Menu(SelectCommand)"  {3/11/07 Update}

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help,
CCD1006

Message Edited by ccd1006 on 03-11-200701:24 PM

Logi Nu
Togusa

Re: Samsung Plasma TV Input Options not Working

Are you trying to switch back to watching TV from an activity using one of the other inputs, only to discover that the TV doesn't switch the input? I also have a Samsung TV, the TX-R3079WH SlimFit 30" CRT, and I believe that I've encountered the problem you have. Here are the inputs available on my Samsung (and the devices I had connected when I first had this problem):

- TV
- Video 1
- Video 2
- Video 3 (my Nintendo GameCube was connected here, but I had no activity associated with it)
- Video 4
- S-Video 1
- S-Video 2
- Component 1 (RCA RC5223P DVD player)
- Component 2 (Sony PlayStation 2 SCPH-7002CB, the "slimline" model)
- HDMI

I had the remote set to use Method 2 ("Select this method if the remote has labeled buttons like VIDEO 1, VIDEO 2, and each button displays a unique source input label on the screen" ), which was the default input switching method, even though the TV is a Samsung, which would seem to require Method 3.

The remote worked fine within each activity, but when I tried switching from either the Movie or PS2 activity to the TV activity, the input would not change -- for example, when I tried to switch from playing a DVD to watching TV, the TV would remain set to Component 1 instead of switching to the TV input. I discovered through trial and error that I could switch back to the TV input if I pressed the Device button, selected the TV, and paged through the LCD screens until I saw the command "InputToggle". Pressing the "InputToggle" softkey would toggle between the TV/Cable input and whichever of the other inputs was selected in the current activity.

I then went back into the Harmony web setup and reran the setup wizard for the "Watch a Movie" activity, choosing the option to add more control, then stepped through until I reached the Custom Action screen. I went to the "When you leave this Activity, these devices are turned off and the following actions occur" section and added the "InputToggle" command for the Samsung TV. After updating the remote, I tested the modified activity, and it worked -- switching from playing a DVD to watching TV would flip the input back to TV instead of leaving it on Component 1. (I repeated the steps for the PS2's activity, and that activity successfully switched back to the TV input when I went back to the "Watch TV" activity.)

If you're indeed having the problem I had, you might want to give the method I discovered a whirl. HTH, HAND. :smileyhappy:
-----
Controlled with my Harmony 659: Samsung TX-R3079WH SlimFit 30" HDTV • Philips DVP-5982 DVD Player • Sony PlayStation 2 (SCPH-7002CB) • General Instrument DCT-4222 Digital Set-Top Cable Box
Logi Nu
ccd1006

Re: Samsung Plasma TV Input Options not Working

I was finally able to get help from level 2 techsupport.  They coded my TV to switch inputs in accordance with the way this particular (older) plasma set worked.  Once they did that, it works fine now.  If I ever have to add another input or possibly remove an input on the TV, I will have to call tech support again and get them to code it up.

Problem with this particular set:
TV will remember last input when it turns off.  When you turn back on, it goes to that input.  I set that setting in the setup for the remote.
The problem comes when you have to change to another input.  The TV will always start with the first item (TV) when shifting to another input.  I am unable to setup the web based setup for the remote for this part.  They remote would always sequence throuhg the inputs as if the sequencing would start at the current input. 

Anyway, it works now and I am happy!

Thanks for the reply!