Logi Visitor
JoeO

Re: Turning off volume on Sony Bravia LCD without muting

Hi kevinkay,

You CAN'T send a command code with you remote. Only support would be able to do this.

Before you go through that trouble check your TV Device commands on the remote. Look for "Speaker toggle" or "Internal Speaker",or "External Speaker" anything that has speaker in it. Try these commands if you find them. See if they do the job. If they do, you can add them in the activity for the TV.

If the above does NOT work, then contact support and see if they will help you!

Good Luck!
Regards,
Joe O
Logi Nu
kevinkay

Thanks again for your help.  I did talk to support BEFORE I came up with my deep menu solution, that's why I had to do it that way!

BTW, I just got a Panasonic DMP-DB30 Blue Ray player.  It connects through HDMI and does an excellent job with 1080/24p.  It also has a setting on the player itself that allows me to turn off the audio through the HDMI cable (that's what is hooked to the TV) and leave the digital audio out (optical wire) which is what is hooked to my surround sound.  Basically, I no longer need to mute the TV when I'm watching a DVD.

I know this isn't a solution for everyone, but if you have a problem muting your Sony, you might not have to!  Check your device!
Logi Visitor
rheumatoid

I've been waiting for a while hoping a sound off without leaving a mute icon would become available but it doesn't look like it will. On my 40V400 looks like I'm stuck with:

OPTIONS

DOWN

DOWN

ENTER

DOWN

RETURN X 5

to turn back on

OPTIONS

DOWN

DOWN

ENTER

UP

RETURN X 5

Did you find the delays essential kevinkay?

thanks

Jon

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

There's a possibility that, as Joe suggested, Logi support might be aware of Sony's codes and be able to provide the equivalent of that Internal-Speakers-80 code.
Logi Visitor
rheumatoid

[ Edited ]

how can I 'encourage' them to look in to it?

Thanks

Jon

Message Edited by rheumatoid on 03-04-2009 11:42 PM
Logi Legend II
hhatkin

E-mail them the full details, including a note about the 80 code.

H H

Logi Visitor
rheumatoid

done, thanks
Logi Rook

[ Edited ]

This is what I do, it works for me. I've been through the contacting Sony, contacting Logitech route.  Sony inform me there is no discrete code for switching off the internal speakers.  I've copy/pasted my comments from a previous post (one of many, all on the same subject.  A SEARCH will find them!!)

PREVIOUS POST 

It's not much help I know but the multiple command philosophy does work and you only need to hold the remote at the system for a few more seconds than normal.

I stress that it works for me with my Sony equipment and my needs, and the extra time to hold the remote at the equipment is minimal, a few seconds at worst.  To pre-empt the usual comments :smileyhappy:  Sometimes I just want TV speakers on and not the full emphasis of the 5.1; and no I can't use "Mute" as this leaves the crossed-out speaker on the screen.

So for what it's worth this is the solution I use:

I have a Sony KDL-32D3000 and use a Harmony One.  After much deliberation (contacting Logitech and SONY) and trying different methods of switching off the internal speakers I've finally chosen to add an extra activity and added in extra commands to this 2nd activity to switch the internal speakers off.  I've set the TV to use the "Internal Speakers" as its normal method of outputting sound, so I have a "Watch TV" activity which switches on the TV and all is well with that one as the TV is expecting to use the TVs speakers as sound.

I then have a second activity entitled "Watch TV with speakers".  This activity has extra commands which access the menu system of the Sony and switch the sound from "TV Speaker" to "Audio System". I had problems initially but have added in a 3 second pause which seems to have got rid of the problem (see reason for delay below).

I have added in commands to reverse the sound output on leaving the activity, so it's ready for the more frequently used (for our family) "Watch TV" by TV speakers only activity.

The commands I have in the activity are as follows, with the first 5 being added by the Harmony One, so I have added 8 additional commands to do the switching:  I have the PVR (Virginmedia V+) on all the time

PVR is on

Sony TV is on

All other devices are off

PVR is set to tuner

Sony TV is set to AV4

Sony TV - the remote paused for 3000 milliseconds (see below)

Sony TV - "Tools" command is sent to Sony TV

Sony TV - "Direction Down"

Sony TV - "Select" command

Sony TV - "DirectionDown" (this changes "TV Speaker" to "Audio System"

Sony TV - "Menu" command (this exits the menu options)

On exiting the activity exactly the same commands are sent, apart from the pause, which isn't needed now, and last "DirectionDown" which should be DirectionUp to change it all back.

The commands are relevant to the Sony KDL-32D3000.  You do need to hold the remote for longer than usual, but NOT much longer, to do the switching but it's worth it.

Reason for the delay in my particular case:

You will notice that the last command I use is "Menu", this is simply to exit the menu system and return to a clean TV screen.  However if I leave out the pause (I tried 1sec and 2 secs - not enough, then tried 3 secs) then the set-up misses the first few commands - the ones that select the speaker set up.  When it "catches up" it catches up on the last command - "menu".  This activates the menu display of the Sony and leaves the whole command sequence in disarray, especially if I then try and exit the Activity, as it attempts to reverse the commands but this time starting within the Menu display.  Adding in the 3 second pause makes it work for me  - every time.

To hold the remote at the screen for, say, 4 to 5 seconds extra at most isn't exactly cutting edge but it's not that bad either.  It works for me and solves other users in the house having problems switching AV amps on, selecting inputs etc etc.

Message Edited by PeeBee on 07-03-2009 02:00 PM