10-08-2008 07:41 AM - edited 10-08-2008 07:42 AM
I find this whole concern about Backweb very interesting. I have not seen any truly confirmed reports that backweb is doing anything wrong. I see a valid concern for privacy more then anything else. It should be up to the customer if they want their computer going out to the net for updates. On the other hand, an application that checks for updates is very good if it works well.
Any one who has Microsoft or RealPlayer on their computer already has a lot of communications going back and forth. I have also seen reports of installation and uninstall problems. I would suspect this is more a problem with HP, Compaq, Sony, etc build.
I am not stating logitech is perfect. No program is perfect. But, all of the computer manufacturers out there mess with MS operating system more then they should and create more problems then benefits for the customers. Any one worth their computing salt, knows to blow away the build bought and install their own store bought operating system. Given that I have some observations.
- Logitech for the most part has software that is better then national and global brands.
- Proprietary software ie OS's modified for the computer brand, have problems right out of the box that will interfere with any install.
- No, real data on backweb confirming its Hazard.
- Valid comments from users stating NO software should install communications with out their knowledge and more importantly approval.
- Logitech is a reputable company, MS, Realplayer and others have more serious privacy concerns with its users.
One interesting note that bothers me above all others and taints the positive remarks is there is no information on the support pages here at logitech on BackWeb. To date I am allowing backweb to run. I am pleased with logitechs hardware and software and find it works far better then other brands.
But why, Logitech, have we not heard from you on this item that is up for discussion?
10-08-2008 07:44 AM
(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays