Logi Rook
FarmerBob

How do or can I recover from the remote upload . . . . .

During the 10 minutes that it takes my Harmony One to update all the while it does a lot of talking to the Harmony servers. I would imagine that the set up of the remote software at that moment is being, or a least should be uploaded, if not what is taking 10 minutes to transfer?

Here's my problem. The remotes is 80% where I need it. The device codes are reverting to mostly erroneous settings and I tried to find the originals, that were there in the beginning, but mysteriously disappeared and the set I have now is missing many commands that I had and still do in the remote and work fine. But if I update they'll be gone.

I want to either sync my remote to the set up software and match it to the remote or get the latest version that by all rights should be on the Harmony servers back in to the system set up software to match my remote. If this is not possible, why is my remote communicating to the servers EVERYTIME I update and WHY isn't the information available for these types of situations. Since you can swap over to a new device and download your past settings into it, why not resync the software on your computer? That tells me that the full set up info is sitting there and available, but how for an existing remote. Or to reset the software in your machine that I have had go off on its own many times. I'm really getting tired of resetting this thing. I have 15 days left to send it back for a full refund. Oh, and the other 5 that I got also.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

. . . fb 

Logi Guru
jdbower

Re: How do or can I recover from the remote upload . . . . .

First a quick explanation of the software architecture.  All the configuration and the device database are stored online in Logitech's servers.  This has a lot of pluses and a few minuses, but it is what it is.  When you update the remote what's happening is that you're instructing the servers to compile your configuration for your remote, the servers do so and then push the entire image to your PC.  From there your PC loads the entire image into the remote, consumer grade NVRAM devices tend to be pretty slow so this takes the most amount of time.  Then your remote reboots the new image, performs a few checks, and you're done.  Unfortunately since this is a compiled image being pushed to the remote there really isn't any way to "decompile" it and get it back up to the server.

You mentioned you've got a bunch of these remotes.  Have you set up a seperate account for each?  Each remote is designed to talk to one account on the server so you'll have to log out of one before you start configuring another.

You say Device Codes are disappearing, do you mean if you hit Devices and select a particular device that the codes are gone there or that in an Activity on the remote things are missing?  Have you been playing with the Devices in the software?  Some people mistakenly think the process is to remove any commands they don't use from the Device when the real process is to setup Activities and only add the commands you use but to leave the Devices alone.  Unfortunately the only way to restore a Device to the database state is to delete the device and readd it.

If you're having a lot of difficulties and have multiple remotes you may want to create a new account and try to model one of your other setups now that you've got some experience with the software.  The high level process is to add each of your Devices, rename them as you like, check thier setup to make sure the inputs and power settings are as you like them, then create Activities.  I typically start with a single simple Activity, for example adding a TV and a satellite receiver and creating a Watch TV Activity.  I also use a manual setup for these, most of the time the automatic Activity setup works just fine but it never hurts to check what it's doing every step of the way.  If this new setup goes smoothly you may just want to wipe out your current account and start from scratch, or just create a new one since they're free.

Are you a WannabeFAQreader?
Logi Legend II
hhatkin

jdbower wrote:
You mentioned you've got a bunch of these remotes.

Did he?:smileysurprised:

Logi Guru
jdbower

It's a little ambiguous but at the end of his largest paragraph I interpreted "Oh, and the other 5 that I got also." as meaning he had 6 total.  If this isn't the case of course opening up a new account and trying to start over may still be a decent idea.

Are you a WannabeFAQreader?
Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Oh yes - must remember to read right through exhaustingly long postings!