Logi Browser
paintmedry

Power on and off my Samsung TV

[ Edited ]
I have a problem with my Harmony 885 controlling my Samsung 40M87 TV. The orginal TV remote uses the same button to "power on" as "power off". So when I tried to use my macro, it would try to turn on the TV, but if the TV already was on, it would turn it off.
So I tried to make the harmony not turn the TV on (that would mean that I would have to make sure the TV was on, before running the macro). The only way of doing that, was under devices, where I could set the TV to always be turned on. (that way, the harmony would not try to turn it on, when the macro started).
However, now the harmony wont let me turn the TV off.
Does anyone have a solution for this?

Message Edited by paintmedry on 07-16-2007 05:52 AM
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

Re: Power on and off my Samsung TV

paintmedry wrote:
I have a problem with my Harmony 885 controlling my Samsung 40M87 TV. The orginal TV remote uses the same button to "power on" as "power off". So when I tried to use my macro, it would try to turn on the TV, but if the TV already was on, it would turn it off.
So I tried to make the harmony not turn the TV on (that would mean that I would have to make sure the TV was on, before running the macro). The only way of doing that, was under devices, where I could set the TV to always be turned on. (that way, the harmony would not try to turn it on, when the macro started).
However, now the harmony wont let me turn the TV off.
Does anyone have a solution for this?

Message Edited by paintmedry on 07-16-2007 05:52 AM

honestly, you need to set up activities, and use only activities and only use the harmony remote.  using device mode to turn the tv on, using the original remote, or powering the tv on at the tv means that the activity does not know the tv is on and that's why the power toggle command was being sent.

so, undo the 'always on' power setting change you made and just use the harmony remote activities and you'll be fine

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Master
remotevisitor

Check whether the online database has discrete power on and off commands for your model of Samsung TV (both my Samsung TVs do).     If you use the discrete power commands rather than the power toggle then the problem goes away.

Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

yes, it would go away, but at the same time, having a harmony remote and still using the original remote or turning the tv on manually goes against all that the harmony stands for.  the harmony is supposed to take the place of all your remotes.  so put them away and just use activities.  but yes, follow remotevisitor's tip and change to discrete power on and power off commands if they're available.

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Browser
paintmedry

I do understand that using several remotes is against the idea and concept of the harmony.
It would be super if it would be possible to use discrete power on and off commands.. (if I understand it correct)
Ok, now I have changed the power setting, so the TV is set to be powered off when not in use.
Then I'm asked if the TV uses the same button to turn on and off, here I say there is one button to turn on and another to turn off. The next picture asks me if I have the orginal remote or I know what commands are being used, (if I say I have the orginal remote, am I asked to use the commands and point it towards my harmony, that would not work as the orginal remote just has one power on/power off button, instead of two), then it asks what command is used to power on and off, and I choose the command called PowerOn and PowerOff. However, I still have the same problem.. the TV wont turn on with the macro, and if I go to devices and try to turn the TV on, it wont either. (If I try with the orginal samsung remote it works)
Since I have the option to choose PowerOn and PowerOff, I guess it should work... or is the list just a standard list that is the same for all TVs ???
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

if it's not on the original remote, the commands in the database may or may not work.

since it doesn't sound like they work, I recommend changing them back to power toggle (one button) and just using the harmony remote

Logi Guru
bevhoward

>> Check whether the online database

Can someone direct me to the location of the "online database" ...the discrete on/off handling is something I would like to learn more about pre-purchase

Thanks in advance,
Beverly Howard
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

they way I do this is add the device to your profile, then go under 'more options' for the device, then learn IR commands and at that point I can see the list of commands in the database....

I do this through the web interface...

Logi Nu
scott2ride

Here is an easy solution if you dont have the seperate on and off IR codes.
Your Samsung TV can be turned on by either the on/off toggle OR by using a channel button. Eg channel 2.

So...

1. set up your activities so that when the TV is to be turned on it does so by using channel 2 IR code to turn it on.

2. In activities, whenever the TV is to be turned off you set it up so that it automatically sends IR code channel 2 again, then 3 seconds later it automatically sends the toggle On/off IR.

So when ever it is being turned off it switches to channel 2 then turns off. And you can be sure it has turned off because if it was already turned on it would swich channel then go off. And if it was already turned off it will turn on when Channel 2 is sent, then turn off when the on/off toggel IR is sent.

Easy!
Logi Guru
bevhoward

>> So when ever it is being turned off it switches to channel 2 then turns off.

Neat... will keep this in mind, but, it doesn'w work on any of my devices including the samsung htdv desktop tuner, nor the samsunc vcr/dvd combo.

will note that the samsung vcr/dvd combo can be powered on by using the eject command, but only if it was shut down in dvd or has a tape in the vcr side, then powered down by pressing power.

thanks for the response,
Beverly Howard