Logi Browser
SnapperOne

Can't remove battery from Harmony One

OK, it has been 15 months since we puchased our Harmony One.  Has worked flawlessly, until last week, when the battery began to not take a charge.  Went to remove the battery, but found that it can't be pulled, twisted or yanked out of the remote.  It appears to have swollen.....allot.

So far, Harrmony support has been clueless.....suggesting that I use email access through the Harmony One software.  Only problem with that is that, without the Harmony connect to my PC (and "On"), the software dumps me out to my Windows desktop.

When I spoke with Logitech Corporate's "Escallation Department" earlier today, I asked if I could just send this $200+ piece of equipment in for repair at my expense.  "Nope.  Try prying the battery out of the controller".  In other words, take a unit that is likely only troubled with a bad battery (which by the way Logitech supplied in the first place) and chance permemently damaging the unit by prying out the battery.  Doesn't make much sence to me. 

So, I guess what I am asking is this.  Has anyone else experienced a swollen battery that cannot be removed from the controller? 

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Re: Can't remove battery from Harmony One

[ Edited ]

This is a serious matter and Logitech support need to resolve it immediately.

The e-mail form at the end of the general Troubleshoot in the software should be available for you to send an urgent report.

You should only ever connect the Harmony to your computer after you've made changes to your account and are Updating it, so that might explain why you cannot proceed into the software.

If that problem persists and you can't e-mail, or if you do e-mail and don't get a response by return, report the situation by Private Message to one of the Logitech guys who visit the forum.

It IS serious to have a battery in this condition - if you try again take great care and protection - but preferably don't try.

H H

Logi Browser
SnapperOne

After 5 calls and several hours of on-hold time, I was finally able to reach a Service Representative......Victoria.......who first "listened" to what I was saying about the battery, and took immediate action to resolve the problem..........by replacing the controller.  While Victoria and I did have some language difficulties to overcome, she solved the problem.  How?  By checking my file and seeing that our current controller is still under warranty.  Duh!

Hail Victoria!  Victoria saved the day.  The problem is that Victoria is roughly 20% of the Logitech staff I spoke with about my problem.  The other 80% didn't have a clue.

Hopefully, the replacement will arrive without incident.  Until then, I have to get used to pressing multiple ON/OFF buttons again.

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

I would never waste time like that on phone calls. E-mail was my recommendation.

Logi Rook
Bookworm370

I did email, I did PM's, I did Webforms.

They still dumped me on the retailer and wouldn't replace the battery.

Consider yourself lucky you got someone that will replace the remote.  Because they simply don't have the batteries.  They have enough batteries to put in new remotes somehow (the same ones that swell) but they don't have any to replace the ones that are dropping like flies.

Logi Browser
SnapperOne

To an earlier response.......tried e-mail, allot, without success.  As for getting lucky.........you betcha; I am well aware of it.  Then again, I don't have the replacement controller yet, so my jubilation is a bit tongue-in-cheek at the moment.  As for replacement batteries, since I can't get the old one out of the current controller, I don't even know what to look for.  From the previous and other posts, I take it that the only place to get the battery is from Logitech........who doesn't stock them.

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Logitech say they will have stocks this month.

Some users have bought batteries from other sources but have found them unsatisfactory.

Logi Rook
Bookworm370

Sorry, I can't help myself.

You mean more unsatisfactory than bulging, swelling, can't pull it out of the remote and dead original Logitech batteries?

Logi Legend II
rhachey

No, if the batteries are not made by Logitech, they will work in the remote if they are already charged, but once the charge is depleted, they will not charge while in the remote. Logitech has replaced both batteries in both of my Harmony One remotes with no problem and I have had no problems with the new batteries since. The only other place that sold the Logitech batteries is Bestbuy, but only there online store.
Logi Rook
Bookworm370

You are correct that the batteries you buy from Amazon come with their own charger and the base will not charge them (I'm down $40) on that one.

The batteries you can by direct from China on Ebay from Toddstore work just fine and recharge just fine in the cradle.