Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Re: Copy activity?

I occasionally need to set up a new Activity based on a current one, and would indeed prefer to be able simply to copy the current one over, but ten minutes spent on setting it up again, maybe once in three months, has never been a major hassle for me.:smileyvery-happy:
Logi Rook
plooger

hhatkin wrote:
... but ten minutes spent on setting it up again, maybe once in three months, has never been a major hassle for me.:smileyvery-happy:

I'd offer that products and software targeted for the average consumer shouldn't be designed for those with Legend-ary ability or knowledge.  But, again, I'm basing this statement on the assumption that the Harmony products are intended for a wide audience.

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Point taken, but the legend is only about nerdiness in terms of sheer numbers, not of quality.:smileyvery-happy:

Posters with one post have told us much the same as I did, about ease of setting up Activities.

Logi Rook
plooger

This back and forth is pointless, as what some say is no more relevant than what others say, especially absent the context of each user's configuration or assessment of their technical skills.

Hoping not to offend those satisfied with the current software status quo, I repeat my support for adding the ability to create a new Activity as a copy of an existing Activity.  (Ideally, the whole interface would be overhauled, allowing replication, drag-and-drop, and WYSIWYG editing, but . . . .)

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

[ Edited ]
The point of any forum IS back and forth, the exchange of experiences and opinions between users, so I will follow your example and repeat my support for being "able simply to copy the current one <Activity> over".
Message Edited by hhatkin on 09-24-2009 12:37 PM
Logi Rook
nmreuben

I too would voice my suppport for improved "ergonomics" when it comes to doing pretty much anything with the software - its not so much that its difficult rocket surgery type stuff; but that its incredibly TEDIOUS, and lacking in most conveniences.

All the suggestions for backup, export, copy etc. are great, but since this thread got revived from a year ago, where there was a mention of consideration for future enhancement, it would seem like its not going to happen. As some have said, the software is adequate enough for the task at hand and apparently LT would rather spend its development $$ elsewhere.

Clearly an improved UI would have to benefit LT by either increasing sales and/or reducing costs (support I geuss being the biggest) for them to go forward. Elegance of S/W design and efficiency (not ease) of use don't seem to factor in, despite lots of great suggestions for improvements.

That part that the users sees every day is the remote, and that's where they've decided to put most of the focus vs much less often for programming. (or recovery from the latest update). I guess I can't fault them for that, but I'd rather have the best of both.

H1100 - Outlaw - Oppo- Pioneer - PS3 - Fanatec
Logi Rook
plooger

I understand the purpose of forums.  My statement was qualified to "this" back and forth, where we seemingly agree on the benefit of the requested functionality, yet repeatedly diminishing the need for the functionality.  Back and forth resulting in discovery and progress is valuable, endless contradiction and waffling less so.

Peace . . . 

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

[ Edited ]

Pax vobiscum, with the rider that I don't waffle.:smileyvery-happy:

Au contraire, mea culpa is to be too concise.

Message Edited by hhatkin on 09-24-2009 04:38 PM
Logi Browser
DFTrance

I would like to say I'm a bit surprised after so many years of people asking for thsi feature it is not implemented.

Anyway, I'm in the process of setting up new remote to command all my Media Center system composed by a Vodafone Box, Sky Box, XBOX 360, PS3 and a HTPC based on Mac mini and some software.

Now here is a list of activities to start with:

Shows on Vodafone
Shows on Sky
Shows in the Library

Shows on Vodafone

Shows on Sky

TV Shows Library

Shows on Hulu

Shows on BBC iPlayer

Shows on Boxee - Feeds - TED Tallks - ....

Movies Library

Music Library

Music on Pandora

Games on XBOX360

Photo Album

Photos on Facebook

... and more to come.

If you noticed, each activity used a particular media provider, that may or not be accessed from the same device. This is entirely possible with the Harmony One. Given this, we can benefit from this approach since we can within an activity setup soft button specific to a provider within for the activity.

For instance, for the "TV Shows Library" we use a an app  installed on the HTPC called Plex. So when the user selectes this activity, the systems switches on the HTPC, switches on the TV, set the input channel to HDMI1 (used by the HTPC),  and opes Plex on the TV Show. When the user presses Music on Pandora it does the same thing except instead of opening Plex uses Boxee and so on.

Within these activities specific soft buttons are configured taking the most of the facilities given ben the provider for that specific activity.

All this is very intuitive for the user. But configuring a system such as this is a time consuming task.

As you can see the activities described both use the same devices, but different apps. So in the end, only that last tasks are different. Multiply this by 10, with tests etc and you have at least half a day of work.

It would be much easier if I could just duplicate an existing activity and tweek it for a new provider on the same device. 

I hope this gets implemented.

Cheers,

Nuno

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

All I can say is - congratulations on using so fully the facility to set up numerous activtiies.