Logi Apprentice
SimpleSimon

Copy activity?

Is there an easy way to duplicate an activity?

I have a Playstation 3.  Currently, I have a single activity named "Playstation 3" for watching movies OR playing games. To simplify this for "non-tech" visitors to my home I'd like to have "Play PS3" and "Watch movie".
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

Re: Copy activity?

nope...and it turns out tech support doesn't have an easy way either...they build it again from scratch...cloning accounts is possible from the tech support, but not activities...this would be a nice enhancement for people that have two similar activities

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Nu
leefa

I want this feature too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Logi Guru
bevhoward

[ Edited ]
A couple of months ago, there was an active thread Layout Dump where some way to achieve this capability was discussed with strong feelings on each side. Shortly afterwards, the software database failure weekend happened which underscored the value of _anything_ which would help recreate account setups would be valuable.

In my experience, if you know exactly what you want to do, it's (relatively) easy to setup any harmony, the problems come with subtle tweaks one has made over time. For example, screen layouts which have been manually created to be consistent across several activities or devices or naming conventions for buttons and macros.

It SHOULD NOT BE THAT DIFFICULT to build an option into the existing software which would generate a text file containing the current harmony's entire activity and device steps. Just having those steps visible in one location would render manually recreating an exact copy of a setup very easy compared to what's needed at the moment.

In addition to filling the expressed need reflected by this thread, having a visible reference to the contents of a _very_ complex remote layout would greatly simplify maintaining, tweaking and updating one's personal remote database in cases such as replacing a component or understanding and fixing subtle problems which occur when using the remote.

Eric, et. al. this is NOT somthing that "fits" into the email or telephone support matrix, so, how would you suggest that this and other similar system wide ideas be presented to Logitech for consideration _and_ response to the community???

Beverly Howard

Message Edited by bevhoward on 09-17-2008 11:15 AM
Logi Legend II
hhatkin

[ Edited ]
As I've said before (!) we're talking about something considerably less complex than the controls of a nuclear reactor or a jetliner - it's not that serious - and do people who use remote controls form a community?:-)
However the breakdown did convert me to the party that wants the setup to be available on home computers as well as on the database.

Message Edited by hhatkin on 09-17-2008 12:21 PM
Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
EricHarmony

Hi Beverly,

The first thread in question was forwarded to our product team for consideration. It is already under review for possible future implementation.

Thanks,

EricHarmony
Logi Guru
bevhoward

>> The first thread in question was forwarded to our product team for consideration <<

Ahhhh... the darkness is subdued... many thanks.

Beverly Howard
Logi Nu
k4ml

Any news in this topic?
RGDS
Marcin
Logi Legend II
hhatkin

I can't see them giving it any urgency.
Setting up an Activity, especially when you've already done it once, is hardly a difficult task!
Logi Rook
plooger

Just wanted to post to express my support for this capability, creating a new Activity by replicating an existing one.

Setting up an Activity, especially when you've already done it once, is hardly a difficult task!

Using multiple remotes to control one's entertainment system isn't difficult, but we're here on this forum because we've opted to implement a technical solution to make the effort a bit simpler.  Having the ability to copy an Activity would greatly reduce the effort required and possible errors in replicating a highly customized Activity (for a slightly different purpose) -- especially in the absence of the ability to easily export a Harmony's configuration, as text, XML, HTML or otherwise.

That said, I hold little hope that such a feature would be added, given the plethora of "opportunities" I've come across in my short time working with the software and One.