Logi Browser
kdawg

Discrete Code database

I'm having trouble with my components not turning on and off correctly. So I'm trying to see which components in my home theater use discrete codes. I figured the best way would be to check the Harmony database. How can I determine if my Harmony 890 is setup to use them? If it's not using them how can I determine if my component is capable of using them? I can't find a lot of information on this subject. Even the Logitech forums seem to be scarce on the subject.
Logi Guru
jdbower

Re: Discrete Code database

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, some way to validate that your remote is sending the right code or that the codes don't overlap among your devices? Your best bet is probably to try each command you need in device mode to make sure it works, if it doesn't you can re-record it as needed. Logitech's database is fairly extensive and they don't have it anyplace for download, but I'm also not sure how useful it would be to the average person.

Are you a WannabeFAQreader?
Logi Nu
DDTexNYC

I have a related question.  I recently purchased Olevia HD tv.  Olevia products are still fairly new, so new that satelite dish remote cannot read tv's code, a problem I think I will have with other universal remotes.  I am interested in learning if Logitech's new universal remote (880 or 1000 series) will be able to work with Olevia.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the answer to my question.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

DDTexNYC wrote:
I have a related question.  I recently purchased Olevia HD tv.  Olevia products are still fairly new, so new that satelite dish remote cannot read tv's code, a problem I think I will have with other universal remotes.  I am interested in learning if Logitech's new universal remote (880 or 1000 series) will be able to work with Olevia.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the answer to my question.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

I suggest you read the first post here...

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Browser
kdawg

Discrete codes are remote commands specifying exact functions. Such as ON and OFF in stead if just a toggling on and off. A much smarter way of sending commands. So my TV seems to just be toggling the on and off state.
Logi Guru
jdbower

That depends on the TV, I've had a JVC (?) that had seperate on and off functions, but most TVs only have the toggle. Unfortunately for some reason a lot of devices in the Harmony database mistakenly have a separate on/off code even though they both toggle, chances are unless your original remote had discreet buttons the TV only recognizes the toggle (which is too bad, I agree that the definitive on or off would be much more useful!).

Logi Nu
Greaselightning

How do I find out what the discrete  codes are for my TV, e.g. Samsung DLP.
I am having problems with toggling the inputs to switch to Components 1.
I would like to go directly to Components 1.

Greaselightning
Logi Guru
jdbower

Unless your remote has dedicated buttons for each input chances are the TV doesn't support discreet codes. Most TVs aren't designed to be used with universal remotes like the Harmony, any feature they've got is packed into the remote that ships with it.

Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

jdbower wrote:
Unless your remote has dedicated buttons for each input chances are the TV doesn't support discreet codes. Most TVs aren't designed to be used with universal remotes like the Harmony, any feature they've got is packed into the remote that ships with it.

this is somewhat true...sometimes companies create commands and they're left off the original remotes for size/design reasons...I believe this is the case with MANY newer samsung tvs...my samsung tv original remote doesn't support discrete input commands, but in fact the database has discrete input commands that do work.

basically, once your tv is programmed on the harmony, put the tv on and the harmony in tv device mode...just test each command in there (especially the ones with inputxxxx) and take notes on what commands work...it's best to test each command...

I recommend doing this for every device you have...never hurts to check for 'bonus' commands

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Guru
jdbower

Good point, I can't tell you how many times marketing requirements get partially implemented before they realize that it's not practical to fully implement :smileyhappy: In that case the only way to get the commands is probably from the manufacturer and then to pass this information on to Logitech. Luckily in a lot of cases this may have been done for you so checking out the available commands in device mode is a good idea.