Logi Browser
MBlue72

Harmony 1100 vs. Harmony One?

Hello:

Because our Harmony One died (but out of warranty) I have been offered a 50% discount on any Harmony remote from the Logitech online store. We liked our Harmony One a lot, but I am considering the 1100 (for $250).

As I understand it, the main advantages (of the 1100 over the One) are:

1)... RF capability (which would cost another $100 for the RF receiver/repeater)

2)... larger screen

3)... sex appeal (more glitz)

Features that I'm not sure are an advantage or disadvantage:

1)... fewer "hard buttons" ... touch screen used more extensively

2)... larger unit ... does it take two hands to comfortably operate??

3)... larger screen ... does it drain the battery quickly?

What are your thoughts? Especially those of you that have owned both?

Thanks very much,

Dave

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Re: Harmony 1100 vs. Harmony One?

[ Edited ]

Hi Dave.

I'm still using both and am fully satisfied with them, each in its own distinctive way.

The first three points are for sure.:smileyhappy:

The 1100's balance between hard buttons and screen is well-thought-out and practical.

With the IR Extender two-handed operation is a different and efficient way of using the 1100, but the controls that get the most use are on the hard buttons so that one-handed operation is also perfectly practical, with or without the extender.

Like the One, the 1100 is best left on the base whenever it's not in use, so there is never a problem about depleting the battery.

H H

Message Edited by hhatkin on 07-02-2009 11:30 AM
Logi Legend
WannabeActuary

I've used both and ultimately my 1100 took the place of my One (which I gave to my parents)

battery life is fine, just charge it each night and you'll be more than fine
two hands are required for most use but as you know it has the sex appeal

the bigger screen and customability of the 1100 is nice, but for me the rf option was key
even though my devices all have line of sight, controlling them with the extender makes life easier because I don't have to point the remote at anything

Samsung LCD HDTV (LN52B750), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 w/ Wireless Extender
Samsung LCD HDTV (LN40B640), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (DMP-BD60), SlingCatcher, Monoprice HDMI Switch (HDX-501)....all with my Harmony 900 w/ 2 Blasters

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.) Have you seen the FAQ Sticky? Useful Links Definition of Delays
Logi Legend II
hhatkin

I'm the same about RF - all mine are in IR range too but it IS much kewler not to do the pointing!
towboy123
Topics: 125
Kudos: 507
Solutions: 152

I don't have either but the RF is fantastic.
___________________________________________________________________________________
If you are looking for official Logitech Customer/Technical Support, please >> CLICK HERE <<.
Your Friendly Dish Network Technician
My views don't represent Dish Networks views I am just here to help
___________________________________________________________________________________
Harmony Home Control, Hopper Sling and Wireless Joey, Sony XBR55X850B, Sony STR-DA3400ES, Sony PS4.
Whats not being controlled by Harmony is a Phast-8 Amp and a Panamax Power Conditioner
Logi Browser
MBlue72

Hello:

Thanks for your comments. I'm still mulling it over. 

Thanks again,

Dave

Logi Apprentice
shieber

The Harmony 900 is the same thing as the Harmony One except it includes RF. So if you're trying to decide based on that then consider the 900 vs the 1100.  The main advantge of the 1100 is the bigger screen -- main disadvantage is fewer hard buttons, you cant make the chain command macros like inthe the ONe and 900 and 1100 doesn't have interactive help.

Logi Legend II
rhachey

You also can't do Sequences with the 900 and as far as RF, the 900 can only control it's own RF Blaster, it cannot control RF devices.  And you can purchase an RF Extender for the 1100.  What the Blaster and RF Extender can do is control devices in a closed cabinet or in another room.