Logi Nu
coppertop

Re: Harmony 880 and 890 volume control button issue

First let me say that I love everything about my Harmony 890 remote... except for the Volume up/down and Channel up/down buttons. Unfortunately, before my buttons failed, I convinced five friends/family to buy the same remote and I even volunteered to come over and set it up for them.

Now, 1 -2 years down the road, everyone of my friends and family are experiencing the same button failure I am (and apparently a lot of people on this board)! My workaround has been to program alternative buttons on the remote to serve as the Volume up/down and Channel up/down buttons. Now that I've done this on six different systems, I am quite well-versed in this workaround. Still, this is clearly a manufacturing defect.

I am considering replacing my remote soon. The question is: Will I stick with Logitech? I mean, I love their product, but if the buttons are going to fail again... well, I don't see how I can buy another one nor go on recommending it to my friends and family.

Logi Nu
ericpa

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with the volume up button on my 890, it stopped working a month ago. What do we do? This remote was expensive! I've had mine for almost 3 years. At first I had to apply more pressure to the button and then then volume up stopped working alltogether. Does anyone have the link to a website that shows how to open and fix it?

Logi Legend II
rhachey

Here is a link on how to take it apart.

Logi Nu
ericp1

Thanks for the link.

I was able to fix the volume up button by taking it apart.

I figured it was a harware problem and not software because pressing the volume up button before taking it apart would not activate the radar icon at the top of the display like when you press all other buttons.

So I took it aprt and found where the volume up button was pressing on and pressed on the circuit board button for it with a pencil and found that the volume up was working fine, therefor the problem was that the rubber protruding button was not reaching this button on the board. We need to add a spacer.

I got the smallest rubberband I could find and cut it into a small square the size of the tip of the button, then slice that in half to make it as small as possible. I put a tiny drop of super glue on the ip of the rubber button and using a toothpick and thumbtack, placed the rubberband piece ontop of the drop of glue. Let it set for a few hours, put it back together and it's been working fine so far.

I hope this helps someone else.

Logi Nu
MackDMann

I have a Harmony One that is one-and-a-half years old, and same as everybody else, my volume button is becoming wonky. The up volume works only if it's pressed very hard, and sometimes it takes a few tries.

The not-so-funny part of this is that this is the SECOND Harmony remote this has happened to. I had an 880 that did the same thing after about 3 years of service. A friend of mine had the same remote and the exact same thing happened to his!

If anyone does pursue a class action suit against Logitech for selling crappy, expensive remotes, please reply so I can get in on it.

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Don't you users have customer protection legislation in your countries that would make Logitech fix the problems for you?

Logi Nu
djfred

Hello,

I want to chime in and let you guys also know that i own 2x  890 and they both have failed Vol +, Ch +.

And when i say failed I'm not talking about they are dead they work when only pressed very firmly.

When I bought my first 890 in 2008 it failed less then a year, I talked to Logitech and they sent me a replacement remote,

they at that time claimed this was unheard of. I thought nothing.

I was excited to get the new working remote, when it arrived it was brand new in the box. Opened it and got to programming my stuff back on it. It worked like a charm and then again about 1 year into it the Vol+ started to slowly go. When I tried to contact them about the warranty they said this remote is from a replacement and we do not honor warranty of that sort, it has to be bought from store and its a one time replacement.

That really did piseds me off, they do not honor good customer service at all.

If a class action suit is established i will jump on that in a heart beat.

I was thinking of getting a newer harmony remote but come to think of it they all might have the same type of issue. So screw logitech.

2x Logi Harmony 890
Logi Browser
Lyrikk

I own an 890 and an 880, both have button issues. 890 has volume + problem, 880 has the center radial up button sticking or needing rediculous amount of pressure to activate it.

880 also won't charge on it's own dock, but will with some finecky touching / moving charge on the 890's.

hopefully the 1100 wont have the same kind of issues

Own : Harmony 880, 890Pro, 1100.
Logi Nu
ITSalan

I made a carefull analasys of my Harmony 890, which is exhibiting the same volume problems. After removing the cover, and examining the way that the surface buttons contact with the membrane cups on the circuit board, I discovered that the fulcrom of the plus and minus keys is misplaced. When you press on the plus key, it is also exerting enough force on the minus key, to force a conflict in the software. You may have noticed that pressing the plus key will result in a frustrating reduction of the volume.

The top part of the seperated components for this unit contains the keys that push onto the membrane switches. These keys have a two tier design. To resolve the problem with the plus volume key, you need to clip off the top tip of the minus volume key. This will prevent force on the plus volume key from providing enough preasure on the minus volume key to cause a conflict.

I know that is counter intuitive, but it does correct for the original mispacement of the fulcom for these keys.

I beleive that the reason that these problems occur after one or two years, is that the slight compression of the soft keys in the upper matrix is enough to expose the fulcrum imbalance. It would not take much compression to create this issue!

I hope that this helps.

Logi Nu
meekhouse

I had the exact same issue.  I persisted in using much force.  The cover finally came off & then I couldn't get it back on.  Discovered the battery was bulging.  Once I purchased a new battery I had no issues getting the cover on or off.