Logi Nu
bbaker
Accepted Solution

Harmony 900 and Vista Remote Control

I purchased a Vista Media center remote off Amazon.  I cannot figure out how to get it to work with the Harmony 900.  It does not have a manufacturer listed anywhere.  There isn't even a manufacturer on the packaging.  The sticker on the back of the remote says model VRC-1100, Vista MCE Remote Control.  I tried using MCE-1039 and VRC-1100 as the model# in the Harmony setup, but it still doesn't seem to respond to any commands.  The IR light on the receiver doesn't even flash.  Any advice?

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Re: Harmony 900 and Vista Remote Control

Welcome to the forum.

The problem isn't at all clear - you have a remote, and you want it to "work with" another remote, the Harmony?:smileysurprised:

Or do you mean you bought some device that has a remote, and you can't get the Harmony to control that device?

If that IS what you mean then it's a matter of "learning" the commands from the original.

Logi Nu
bbaker

I purchased the MCE remote control that is unbranded.  I am trying to program the Harmony 900 to use it with the IR receiver that came with the unbranded remote.  I have tried the generic settings for "model" to put in the Harmony setup, but nothing responds.  I just "learned" two commands from the unbranded remote and they now work.  I don't understand why the generic "1039" or Media Center SE don't work.  Like I said, if I use these, then the light on the IR sensor that came with the unbranded remote doesn't indicate activity when a button is pressed, however it does with the "learned" commands.  I'd think it would be a generic setup as the unbranded remote didn't even come with a cd and required no drivers in Windows 7.

Logi Nu
bbaker

I thought just specifying 1039 or Media Center etc in the "model" in the new device setup would program the generic commands accepted by Windows Media Center, but the IR receiver that came with the new media center remote does not respond to the buttons on the harmony with that setup.  I ended up using the 1039 model setup and then going back and learning, as you suggested,  each button off the new remote to replace what was in the 1039 setup.  I played with it a little last night and it seems to be working.  The only buttons on the new  media center remote I couldn't learn and map were the mouse control buttons, but I don't really know what I'd use them for anyway currently.

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

That makes it clear.

The Harmony database entry was not for the "IR receiver that came with the new media center remote" so the way to get it to work was to "learn" all the commands from that remote.