Logi Browser
gadgetware

Harmony One won't connect to USB anymore

I've had my remote for about a year and haven't had any problems until now. I modified my setup last night and unplugged it from computer to test. After that I wanted to make a modification but Windows is now giving me an error when I plug it in to the USB port and the logitech software won't connect either. Windows claims that it doesn't know what type of device it is and can't load the drivers. I tried several different USB cables/ports and two different PCs with different OSes so I'm pretty sure that it's something on the remote side. The remote still works to control devices but I'm stuck with my current config unless I can get it to connect.

Is there a master reset or something I can try to see if I can get it to connect? Of course I'm a little concerned that if I try a reset then I still won't be able to connect and I'll also loose my settings making the remote useless. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Logi Nu
Thanos

Re: Harmony One won't connect to USB anymore

Tried to take out the batterys from the remote(for 1-2 minutes) and then put the back?
Logi Browser
gadgetware

Tried taking the battery out for about 10 minutes and putting it back in.  Still have the same problem.  In the windows device manager it reports it as an "unknown device".  I could manually install the driver if I could find it (using the "have disk" option).  Anyone know where I can find the driver for Vista? 

I also tried reinstalling the software but that didn't help either.  

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

[ Edited ]

To answer two of your questions - there isn't a way to reset the Harmony, and drivers don't apply in the usual sense.

You did a complete uninstal of the software before installing it again - and where did you re-instal it from?

Message Edited by hhatkin on 09-12-2009 03:37 PM
Logi Browser
gadgetware

I did an uninstall first and then ran the install program again.  I downloaded the latest version from logitech and it installed it from the downloads folder.  What does the "safe mode" do, will that help at all?  

Thanks for all of the help! 

Logi Guru
bevhoward

>> In the windows device manager it reports it as an "unknown device" <<

Is that the error message you are getting? 

Any chance you are not running windows updates?

Connect the one, then find the entry in Device Manager, highlight the entry and delete it.

After you delete the entry, disconnect the one, wait until the device manager window "blinks" then, reconnect the one.

You should get an install dialog... report exactly the steps you took and ther result message and allow the wizard to search the internet for drivers.

report back.

Beverly Howard

Logi Browser
gadgetware

Beverly - Thanks for the guide.  Here's what I just tried:

1.  Went and checked my updates.  Everything was up to date but a couple of word items and my touchpad driver.  I let them update anyway.

2.  Went in my device manager window and "uninstalled" the "unknown device"

3.  Unplugged my remote from the computer

4.  Uninstalled the  Harmony One software

5.  Took battery out of remote (for more than 5 minutes)

6.  Rebooted my computer

7.  Reinstalled the Harmony One software (latest version from website (7.6.0.8))

8.  Started the software and plugged in the remote

Got two errors on my machine:

"Device Driver software was not successfully installed."

and 

"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message"

I've tried this remote which was previously working on both my laptop (Vista) and my desktop (XP) and for some reason it won't load the driver on either machine.  So there's no way to manually load the driver?  Any other ideas?

Logi Guru
bevhoward

imho, this is now more of a vista than a harmony problem...

the first thing that comes to mind is that your login may not have administrative rights

...or some software may be blocking the install such as av or firewall software.

Beverly Howard

Logi Nu
ChrisMason

I am having the same problems on a new HP laptop running Windows Vista.  The Harmony 688 remote has worked fine in the past with other computers and the USB ports work fine with other devices.  I have not yet tried taking the remote to another computer.
Logi Nu
ChrisMason

Ah, fixed it by using a different USB cable!!!!!

Used a new cable that came with a WD portable hard drive.  Now the remote works on both computers.