Logi Visitor
jtpryan

Harmony Smart Control and ChromeCast

I have a ChromeCast device plugged into the HDMI2 port on the back of my LG TV and it works fine.  So, I set up an activity to turn on the TV and switch to HDMI2.  I had to include the DVR (connected to Component 1) for some reason because MyHarmony forced me to (??).  Anyway the TV comes on, as it should.  Nothing else turns on (DVR is left always on), but it will not go to HDMI2, it just goes to HDMI1.

Tried setting this up a few times.  No luck

Thanks,

Jim

Logitech Employee
HarmonyTeam

Re: Harmony Smart Control and ChromeCast

Hello jtpryan,

We recommend you add "Google Chromecast" as a device to your account. Although Harmony remotes cannot communicate with it, we allow you to add it as a device to make setting up Activities easier. Once added, create a new Watch a Movie type of Activity, including your television and Google Chromecast, and assign your television to change to input HDMI2 when prompted during the workflow. This assumes that sound will also come through your television speakers.

If you find that inputs are not changing when your television first powers on, but switch properly when you navigate to Menu > Help on the Harmony App, then the power on delay for your television may be too short. We recommend referencing this support article for more help: Harmony Smart Control Activity not working.

Best regards,

The Harmony Team

If this reply adequately addresses your question or issue, please click on "Accept as Solution" to benefit other users.

Logi Visitor
jtpryan

None of that worked.  It's like it just does not like HDMI2.  If I try the help and hit the button, nothing. If I go to devices, select the TV and hit input hdmi2 it switches.

So, the electronics and communication are valid

I have deleted and re-added the activity

I have tried all manner of delay timings.  But my watch TV function and listen to music function work fine, so that shouldn't be it

I'm stumped.

Jim

Logi Guru
triad

[ Edited ]

I think the problem is that the Chromecast switches the input via HDMI-CEC, then your remote switches it again, not knowing it's already switched, hence going past the correct input. So go into your TV and/or AVR settings and turn off anything called sync or link or HDMI control. Then your remote should work properly.

Logitech Employee
HarmonyTeam

Hi jtpryan,

For more information on the various branding names manufacturers give HDMI-CEC control, please reference this support article:

Please let us know if this corrects the input switching issue you are experiencing.

Best regards,
The Harmony Team

If this reply adequately addresses your question or issue, please click on "Accept as Solution" to benefit other users.
Logi Visitor
jtpryan

OK, I found that "SimpleLink" was turned on on my LG TV so I turned it off.  No joy.  I just don't get why it successfully switches between Component 1 (DVR) and HDMI1 (PC) but won't switch to TV.  Plus, it won't switch to HDMI2 in help, but will in device settings.  The receiver is off during all of this.

-Jim

Logi Visitor
jtpryan

Actually, one more thing of interest.  When I press help on this activity, The devices listed are the DVR and the TV,not the Chromecast device.  The DVR is NOT listed as a device in th activity setup.  I have deleted and re-created this activity to no avail.

-Jim

Logi Visitor
jtpryan

No comment?

Logi Nu
RonPal

I had the same problem.  I ended up adding a post  command to the setup. 

Enter "review settings" and select "Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity."

go through all your setup screens and take defaults

On the last screen click on "add action for Your TV" and then choose "Send this infrared Comman" and select your HDMI input from the drop down list

good luck

Logi Visitor
jtpryan

Thank you for the reply.  This is the thing, none of that is available in my MyHarmony.  There is no "add action for your TV".  There is a place I can add commands to the startup, but no option for "Send this infrared command".  I keep getting responses (well intended) that refer to things that don't match my interface.

-Jim