Logi Browser
Jeffin90620

How do I open the battery compartment on the 880?

I have misplaced my 880 manual.

What is the best way to open the battery compartment?

My 880 is not recharging on the cradle.  It seems to be making poor contact with the charging cradle, but even when I hold it down on the contacts, I get a low battery warning.

I am plugging it into the USB cable for now to see if that will recharge it, too.  If it does, then I know I have to replace the cradle.  If it doesn't, that could mean I have to replace the cradle or the battery, or both.

Jeff

Logi Guru
listener

Re: How do I open the battery compartment on the 880?

Hi,

bad news first, it will not charge on the usb cable. And for the issue with the cradle, you could do a forums search, it's a common problem, fixed by some people on their own with different measures. Or contact Logitech support for a replacement cradle, they changed the design of it some time ago. BTW: To open the the compartment lid, press gently at the part of the lid which points to the middle of the remote, then slide it backwards.

Greetings

listener

Harmony 900 with Fujitsu-Siemens TV (Myrica V30-1), Yamaha-AV (RX-V461), Teufel-5.1-Speakers (Concept-S), Sony DVD (DVP-NS76H), Sony VCR (SLV-SE800D1), LG PVR (RH-278H), Pioneer Mini System (CD, Radio, Tape) (DC-Z94), Logitech Squeezebox Radio and iPod touch 32GB. Did you read Wannabe's FAQ's?
Logi Browser
Jeffin90620

Uhmmm... what do you mean by "press gently at the part of the lid which points to the middle of the remote, then slide it backwards."

Do you mean, "press gently on the sculpted area of the battery cover nearest the middle of the remote"?  Guess not, because that doesn't work.  Tried pressing to each side, too.

Logi Guru
listener

Jeffin90620 wrote:

Uhmmm... what do you mean by "press gently at the part of the lid which points to the middle of the remote, then slide it backwards."

Do you mean, "press gently on the top of the sculpted area of the battery cover nearest the middle of the remote"?  Guess not, because that doesn't work.  Tried pressing to each side, too.

Sorry for not being native to this language. See my amendment to your interpretation (in bold).

Greetings

listener

Harmony 900 with Fujitsu-Siemens TV (Myrica V30-1), Yamaha-AV (RX-V461), Teufel-5.1-Speakers (Concept-S), Sony DVD (DVP-NS76H), Sony VCR (SLV-SE800D1), LG PVR (RH-278H), Pioneer Mini System (CD, Radio, Tape) (DC-Z94), Logitech Squeezebox Radio and iPod touch 32GB. Did you read Wannabe's FAQ's?
Logi Browser
Jeffin90620

I still haven't figured it out.  I tried placing my thumb at the edge of the sculpted area (with the tip of my thumb pointed towards the front of the remote) and pulling back, both with and without downward pressure (neither worked).

I also tried turning the remote around, placing my thumb into the sculpted area and pushing, which also did not work.

Jeff

Logi Guru
listener

Hi again,

you're on the right way, both procedures should work. But as the cover nearly never is opened in daily use, it could be that the mechanism needs a 'less gentle' press.

Greetings

listener

Logi Apprentice
lifeisfun

I have to apply brutal force to open battery compartment on my 890
Logi Browser
Jeffin90620

Not quite "brutal", but more "insistent" pressure did the trick.

Now that I've figured it out, this sequence is reliable:

1. Place the remote face down in your dominant hand

(the right hand, for most of us) with the rear of the

remote in the center of your palm.

2. Place your thumb in the depression at the top edge

of the battery cover with your thumbnail near the edge.

3. Press down until you hear a click (use gradually

increasing pressure as needed).

4. After the click, you can release pressure.

5. Place your thumb at the bottom edge of the battery cover's

cutout and slide the cover towards the rear of the remote.

Jeff

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
MarkDU

[ Edited ]

Hi Jeffin90620,

Thanks for those detailed steps. I also wanted to let everyone know there is an FAQ, with picture diagrams too.

Removing the battery cover from a Harmony 800 series remote (880, 885, 890, 895)       

Regards,

Mark