Logi Nu
24Trippin

Is the Yamaha YAS-71 Soundbar a supported device?

I have a Harmony 510 and have tried the Harmony database for supported devices and the Yamaha YAS-71 Soundbar is coming up as a "AV Receiver".

Is the YAS-71 actually supported? If so, should it really be described as a "Amplified Speaker" or something else for clarity?

Thanks...

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

Re: Is the Yamaha YAS-71 Soundbar a supported device?

Hi and welcome.

The classifications tend to be erratic.

What matters is whether the commands work for your device - do they?

H H

Logi Nu
24Trippin

Thanks for your reply HH... 

I have the 510, but I am deciding on whether to get the Yam YAS-71 or not. Certainly support by the Harmony will help me make my decision.

The YAS-71 just showed up at my local Costco and looks like a pretty good 2 box solution for better sound in a bedroom where you don't want to run speaker wire and surround speakers all over the place. Getting pretty good reviews for "simulated" surround sound and decent bass, but it is no replacement for 5 or 7 speakers in a primary surround sound system.

Retail $600, web prices $400-$500, Costco $300.

So... anyone know if this device is truly supported by the Harmony?

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

That's OK and sorry I misunderstood that you don't have it yet.

With any luck someone else has and will be able to tell you.

H H

Retired Logitech Employee / Moderator (Inactive)
MarkDU

Hi 24Trippin,

The Yamaha YAS-71 is supported by all of the Harmony remotes. We have a full and working set of codes in our database. We also have several hundred users who are successfully controlling this device with a Harmony remote.

I apologize if the device categories are not as specific as they could be and I appreciate your suggestion for a creating a new category :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Mark

Logi Nu
24Trippin

Great news, thanks Mark!

"Soundbars" are getting quite popular now, creating a new category to describe them (Amplified Speaker, etc.) would make your software even more user friendly than it is now. The 510 is my first experience with a Harmony remote and I am impressed at how easy the software made the setup. It made a 4 remote bedroom Blu-Ray system usable for my 80 yr old parents... thanks!

Maybe that YAS-71 now for better sound and my last (5th!) device on the 510. My only comment about the 510? I wish the numeric buttons were a little larger for us older folks...

Thanks again for a great product and your support.

Logi Legend II
hhatkin

And thanks to you, especially the favourable comment on the software.

H H

Logi Nu
sickX

I just purchased a used Yamaha YAS-70 and I had noticed that it was a supported device. My question is would the harmony remote control ALL functions of the original remote without having to "learn" any functions. The reason I ask is that the system I got didn't come with the original remote and I would rather get a good universal remote (Harmony) instead of wasting money on a factory remote. Without a remote there is no way to select the different sound fields, levels of the separate speaker channels, night mode, etc...