Logi Browser
reber1b

Macros (or sequences)

Where can I find instructions for creating macros in the Harmony 650? I searched the pdf manual for "macro" as well as "sequence", and found nothing pertaining to this subject.

Logi Guru
triad

Re: Macros (or sequences)

Harmony calls their macros two different names according to their purpose: activities and sequences. Activity macros are for turning on devices, setting inputs and mapping key groups. Sequence macros are for performing up to 5 arbitrary steps with one button press. The 650 can't do sequences when programmed via myharmony.com but can do activities. To program an activity, just follow the prompts in the software for "W a t c h T V", "W a t c h D V D", etc.

Logi Browser
reber1b

Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can find instructions for manually creating a macro / sequence? Macros are the main reason I bought the 650, and there is nothing in the pdf manual about macros or sequences.

BTW, do you know how I can post without having to deal with those pesky "challenge pictures" ? It takes me a half dozen tries to get one right.

Logi Legend II
rhachey

[ Edited ]

You can't do sequences with the 650 and the MyHarmony.com setup software, you create Activities which will turn on all devices in the Activity, set any needed inputs, and map any needed commands for any of the devices used in the activity, such as a Watch TV Activity that includes a TV, AV Receiver and an Cable DVR, the AVR will be mapped to the volume buttons, the Transport and Channel buttons will be mapped to the cable box DVR, any other needed commands will be mapped to the LCD buttons.  If any commands are missing for any of the devices in the activity, you can Customize those needed commands by selecting Customize Buttons in your Activity

Logi Browser
reber1b

I guess the problem is that the Harmony 650 is so different from any universal remote I've had in the past, that I'm probably looking at it with the wrong logic. I look at the "Watch TV" activity as not very useful to me. When I watch TV, the only constant is the TV itself, and through it, I may watch video from either of 3 satellite receivers, either of two DVD players, Netflix through either my WD TV PLay HD or my Logitech Revue, or I may watch videos or images through my media server. The same goes for the "Listen To Music" activity -- the amp is the only constant. The source may be my CD player, Pandora through my WD or my Revue, or I may listen to music from my media server.

The reason macros or sequences are important to me is that, a lot of times when I'm listening to music from Pandora or my media server, I want to have audio only. In order to have audio only on my TV I have to execute the following keystrokes: Menu =>left arrow =>down arrow =>select =>left arrow =>select. My old universal remote (RCA) did this with two keystrokes, but lately it's been somehow forgetting that macro, and I have to keep reprogramming it. It has fresh batteries and I've reset it a few times but the problem still exists, and that's why I recently bought the Harmony. There are two more macros I used to use quite often that are similar to the one described, but they are failing in the same way.

So, if anyone can set me straight on how to accomplish this with the Harmony, I'd be much obliged.

Logi Legend II
rhachey

[ Edited ]

You create different Activities for whatever combination that you want, if you have different Listen to Music scenarios, you create a different Activity for each. Same for Watch TV, one with just the TV, One to include the DVD player which you could call Watch a Movie, and so on.  Each Activity would add the necessary devices and input settings if any needed.  When you change to a different Activity, any devices used in the last Activity and not needed in the next Activity would be turned off, any other devices needed in the new activity and not already on would be turned on, any input changes needed would be made.  As Harmony remotes, with the exception of the 200 and 300, use Smart State Technology and track the input and power state of the devices, as long as your Harmony remote is the only means of changing the state of the devices through the use of Activities.  Although those remotes that can use Sequences, you are limited to 5 commands in a sequence, but there is a way around that limitation, I have learned multible commands as one new command by learning the commands as Raw.  Learning 3 commands as one new command is fairly easy, and I have done that many times, I have been able to learn 5 commands as one new command, but that was not quite so easy, as I had to get the timing of pressing the original remote's buttons just right

Logi Browser
reber1b

Ok, thanks for the reply. I figured setting up Activities for various combinations of TV & DVD or TV & STB , etc. would involve doing what you described, and I understand that. What I'm really trying to find out is how to create sequences (macros). Either noone uses them or noone knows how to use them because there are little or no "how-to's" concerning them. By Googling, I found one three step set of instructions on this subject, which when followed, still left me hanging without getting it saved to the remote.

So, my question for today is: Does anyone know where I can find step-by-step instructions for creating sequences (macros), and saving them in the Harmony 650?

Logi Legend II
rhachey

Are you using the 7.7 software, or the MyHarmony.com to configure your 650?

Logi Guru
triad

[ Edited ]

I suspect your RCA really isn't forgetting your macros (I've never heard of anything like that ever happening to that type of remote since it has non-volatile RAM). I suspect something has changed in your setup (a different tv, different location or more ambient light interfering with that rather long macro). You may be able to get a JP1 cable for that RCA remote and program it like harmony.

If you post your TV model, I can tell you if it has a single discrete command for turning off audio like your macro does today.

In any case, the wizard is supposed to walk you through programming your macros, so you won't find any instructions. The macro you described is impossible on the 650 anyway because it's too many steps (more than zero on myharmony and more than 5 on the stand-alone software). There is a work-around you can do with raw learns, but that's too advanced for you at this stage. It will definitely work if you customize your "Watch Sat 1" activity, customize, then add more commands to the end (using the stand-alone software). That is also impossible on myharmony.com. 

I don't see how the 650 will work for you anyway. Since you have at least 9 devices according to your posts, the 650 simply won't control anywhere near that many devices. With a JP1 cable, your old RCA will control an unlimited number of devices and run that pesky macro incredibly fast (probably under 1 second). Otherwise, you really need a harmony that controls many more devices like the One. You should avoid the 900 since it can't do sequences at all. You may also want to consider something like iRule since you have so many different network sources.

Logi Browser
reber1b

[ Edited ]

I've tried the standalone software (7.7) as well as MyHarmony.