Logi Nu
reggie14

Problems with Input Selection on Toshiba 32C100U TV

I have a Harmony 520 remote in my bedroom, and I just got a new TV in there- a Toshiba 32C100U.  I'm having some problems getting it set up so that it switches the TV to the correct input when I first turn on the TV.

The main problem appears to be that there are no discrete codes for inputs for the Toshiba 32C100U TV.  I tried to override the Harmony software's default selection for switching inputs (method 4) by selecting Method 2, but there weren't any commands for switching to any of the inputs.

The default input switching method (method 4) doesn't work for me.  What that method does is it it sends the "Input" commend, which pops up a window on the TV with the different input options, then it sends the number for the input device to switch to.  For instance, to switch to the HDMI1 port, it first sends "Input" and then sends "3" (because HDMI1 is the third option).

The problem is, if the TV is already set to HDMI1 (because it stays on the same input when you turn off the TV), then the TV won't let you "switch" to HDMI1, so it doesn't know what to do with the "3" command that is send.  What it ends up doing is it switches the TV to channel 3.

I tried this out manually using the included Toshiba remote.  If the TV is already set to HDMI1, if I hit "Input" then "3", the TV keeps the input selection window up for a couple seconds, then it switches me to cable channel #3. 

Hitting "help" on the remote ends up fixing this problem, but its annoying to have to do that every time I turn on the TV (since I almost always keep the TV on HDMI1). I'd really like to find a better solution to this problem.  Obviously, the best solution would be to somehow get discrete codes for inputs (which either don't exist for my TV, or aren't in Logitech's database), but an alternative solution would be to get the Harmony remote to keep track of what input was selected when the TV was last turned off, and not have it switch if its already on the correct one. 

Logi Visitor
JEfromCanada

Re: Problems with Input Selection on Toshiba 32C100U TV

This is strange.  I also have a Toshiba TV (different model) which uses the same selection method as yours does (I have to bring up the Input menu, then select the appropriate choice).

But on my TV, when I start an activity, I see the Input menu appear, and then the correct input number is entered automatically by the Harmony.

Here's how I set up my activity:

When asked which device is being used to display the picture, I selected my TV.  The Harmony then prompts for which of the available inputs to use (in your case, the database shows HDMI1, HDMI2, and PC).  When I activate my activity, the Harmony correctly selects the right input.

In setting up my Toshiba, I used Method 4, and it does work for me.

Logi Nu
reggie14

Well, the Harmony remote is arguably doing what is correct and sensible.  The problem is the TV isn't being completely sensible.  What this comes down to is that on my TV, if you are already on a given input, say HDMI1, then the TV gets confused if you try to switch to that same input. The way it deals with this is rather than using the entered number to switch inputs, the TV thinks is suppose to change the cable/antenna channel to that number.

So what happens on your TV if you take your original TV remote, turn on the TV to, say HDMI1, then pull up the input screen and switch to HDMI1?  Does hitting the number associated with HDMI1 pull you out of the input selection screen on the TV and back to HDMI1, or does it switch TV channels on you?

If you have the same problems as me using the original Toshiba remote, then that probably means your remote keeps track of what input the TV was on when it was shut off, and doesn't change the inputs when you turn on the TV if it isn't needed.

Logi Nu
reggie14

Does anyone else have any experience setting up a Toshiba TV that doesn't have discrete input codes? 

Right now I set it up using "Method 3".  It works- sort of.  The 32C100U will cycle through inputs if you keep pressing the "Input" key.  So, to move forward one input, you hit "Input" to bring up the device selection window, and then you quickly hit "Input" again to move to the next input.  But, if the remote gets "un-synced" with the TV, its a big pain to get them on the same page again.

I'd really much rather use discrete codes for the inputs (since they apparently exist for most Toshiba TVs, they're just not always in the database), or somehow program the code using Method 4, but have the remote remember what input the TV was on when it was shut off (and only change it if necessary).

Logi Nu
DozerLYP

I'm having the same issu with my Toshoba 52XV648U. Did you ever found a way to fix that?