Logi Browser
rvmeush

Seeking discrete IR codes for Vizio E320-A1

I just got this Vizio tv for an elderly relative and set up a Harmony remote to control the use of a Tivo and broadcast tv from an external antenna.

The problem is that my relative regularly gets the Harmony out of sync with his TV/Tivo and then gets confused.   The problem relates to the fact that the Vizio commands are not using discrete IR codes to switch inputs and to control power on/off.

I have been looking for discrete codes I can use to program this Vizio model but they aren't included in the Logitech standard database used to program codes.   I'm trying to find out if there are discrete codes I can use to control input and power state, and how I can get them into the options available when programming the Harmony remote?

I have seen others listing discrete codes for some Vizio models but I'm not sure if they would work for this tv, and I'm not sure what to do with the codes once I find them.   I'd appreciate any assistance with this problem.   Thanks.

Logi Master
idicev

Re: Seeking discrete IR codes for Vizio E320-A1

Hi rvmeush

If it often goes out of synch you do need first to check that all CEC settings are off (search the forum if you are not sure about CEC)

The advantage of many Harmony models is that they can use v.7.7.0 standalone software so you would not need discrete codes; whatever the power or input problems with the more limited MyHarmony.com, with v7.7.0, you would be able to adjust the setup so it could work automatically using the original remote's method of input and power commands. Unfortunately some models are stuck with just MyHarmony.com so may I ask which Harmony Remote is involved, please?

The Harmony database is as good as any for providing discrete codes so, if suitable ones are aren't there in the database for any Vizio models, the chances are that they do not exist. Therefore, first you might also consider searching the database for any other Visio Tv devices in case they would provide what you are looking for.

If you would not mind going along with those suggestions, and if you would provide more details, including the original remote's method of input selection and power on/off, I would like to try to help.

Regards

Chris

Logi Browser
rvmeush

Thanks for helping.  The Harmony remote is model 676 and I am using Harmony ver. 7.7 software on a Macbook.

I checked a bit into CEC and that seems to deal with HDMI which I am not using.

I have a Vizio E320-A1 tv and its remote has a power toggle button and a single Input button for switching through the various inputs.   I am only using the AV input and the Tuner/Antenna inputs on the tv.

the commands for setting up my Vizio model using the Harmony software don't have discrete commands for power or input selection.  This causes a problem if the remote gets out of sync with the state of the system.  I have set this up for a 90 year old relative and he can't deal with getting the remote back into sync - this is why I was trying to figure out how to get discrete commands for power and input selection.

I was looking into using another model of Vizio tv (with discrete inputs) for setting up the Harmony remote.  Two models that I have seen mentioned in the forum are the VF550M and the E420VA, but I'm not totally sure they would work with my model.  Another problem I have is that there is no internet connection at my relative's house, so it makes experimentation with various Vizio models very difficult for me.

So, basically that's the situation.   I'm looking for a foolproff method of controlling the TV and Tivo.  I'd appreciate your suggestions.  

Logi Master
idicev

[ Edited ]

Let's first just look at the input problem.

The most obvious fool proof method of input selection would be to provide an additional lcd button to perform the input selection as with the original remote, but it should be possible for Harmony to do it automatically and reliably.

PS.1 You may well be right about CEC! but I guess it is possible for AV detection by TV when the Tivo comes out of standby to cause Harmony to be out of sync. - what do you think? in practice does the Tv's input get changed in this way? Otherwise when does out of sync. happen? He isn't using the original remote as well by any chance?

PS.2 Does he really need the Tv's own tuner to be used or can the Tivo's tuner get all the same stations? .....perhaps he does not even need to change inputs, which would be quickest and easiest to fix...

PS.3 In your situation, unless someone replies who has various Vizio Tvs, you may need another Harmony to open a new account and download the likely other Vizio Tv devices, then try out any discretes you can find on your relative's Tv when you visit.

You did not specify the list of inputs so i have added the Vizio TV device and find it is as follows:-

TV

Comp/AV

Hdmi1

Hdmi2

USB

I understand that the Tivo is connected by 'Comp/AV' by a SCART lead and all your relative needs is just the Comp/AV input, or the TV input. Is that right?

Does Input Comp/AV have any sub/menus?

or does the TV detect and display the Tivo when the 'Input' button on the original remote moves the cursor down the list to 'Comp/AV', without pressing another button to select the input?

Or does button 'input'  just bring up the list, and is button 'down' needed to move the cursor, and you have to click 'ok' or Select' to choose the input once the cursor is over TV or Comp/AV?

If so, can the 'Up' button on the original button be pressed to reverse the cursor up the list from Comp/AV to select 'TV'?

[Edited]. ...do devices> settings> adjust inputs> where method one would seem the one you want, providing the list of inputs corresponds to reality. If not, then add, subtract, and adjust the list of inputs until they do., and check that the right 'method' is selected. Then correctly complete the following options in the v7.7.0 software menus of the device settings:-

a. "Does your Tv skip over inputs that are not connected?"

b. "Select the remote button you press to display and cycle through the source inputs"

c. "Turn your TV Off then back on again. Does it go to a particular input, or stay where it was?"

May I ask you to confirm your answers to a. and c., your selection in option b., and what 'method of inputs' you chose in the methods page?

What does 'Vbutton' do?

Logi Browser
rvmeush

Thanks for the extensive set of comments.   Here's an update on what I've found.

1.  I turned off CEC on the TV and that didn't result in any change in remote performance.

2. There actually are a number of channels from the TV Tuner input that aren't on the Tivo, so it would be useful to use both the Tivo input and the TV tuner input.

3.  I programmed my own Harmony One remote with the settings for a Vizio E420VA and a Vizio VF550M (which were two I had seen mentioned as useful on other posts) to try out on the E320-A1 set.  The discrete power on and power off commands worked, but the discrete input selection commands did nothing - bummer!

The set of inputs available on the set include (note: the AV and Component inputs are separate selections on the Input menu)

TV

AV - composite

Component

HDMI 1

HDMI 2

The Tivo is connected to the TV using a composite video cable (red, white, yellow).  The input menu for the TV brings up the selections shown above, and when one of those inputs is selected using the up/down arrows (both up and down arrow buttons can be used) then the input must be selected with the OK button.

The TV does not skip over any unconnected inputs when cycling through the input menu.  When the TV is turned off, it returns to the previously selected input when it turns back on.

I just went back to the Harmony programming screens for the tv and noticed that the set of inputs listed were as you had described, i.e.

TV

Comp/AV

Hdmi1

Hdmi2

USB

but as I mentioned, the actual inputs on the screen are

TV

AV - composite

Component

HDMI 1

HDMI 2

I'm not sure how this difference would affect the operation of the remote when it gets out of sync with the state of the tv, but I guess I should check this out before giving up.

Logi Master
idicev

[ Edited ]

OK I think I get it, and that you will be able to see what I am trying to do and make any adjustments as needed:-

Without discretes the Input selection by Harmony depends upon correspondence of its own list with what really appears on Tv's list of inputs, so it could not work unless the Harmony list were to be corrected. In any case it can't do 'cursor up' which will be the quickest way to go between AV-Composite and Tv, as well as 'cursor down'.

In this situation the best way to get the input set automatically would be to add the appropriate commands to the start and finish of the 'Watch Tivo' activity.

First turn off Harmony's auto input selection by telling it that for both Activities ('Watch Tivo' and 'Watch Tv') the tv needs to be on the same input, say 'TV',

Then, for the TV Device, use method 2, and do:-

Device

Vizio Tv

Settings

Adjust inputs

Next

Select method 2

Next

Delete all inputs from the list except TV

Next

Next

Done

Then add your own commands to select input by doing the following for the 'Watch Tivo' activity:-

Activity

Review the settings

Yes but I want to add more control...

Save

select 'Tv' and next

'Add action for'... (select the TV device from the drop down)...'when activity starts' - see below 1.)*

click ADD

'Add action for' ...(select the TV device from the drop down)...'when activity finishes' - see below 2.)*

click ADD

Save

Next

Done

For 'Watch Tivo' activity I reckon you need

*1.)

at the start:

Input Select (to bring up the menu, with the cursor over 'Tv', being the 'Known Input State')

Cursor DOWN (to move the cursor one space down to 'AV-composite')

Ok/Select (to select input 'AV-composite')

*2.)

At the finish:

Input Select (to bring up the menu, with the cursor over 'AV-Composite'', being the current 'Input State')

Cursor UP (to move the cursor one space up to 'TV')

Ok/Select (to select and restore the 'Known input State' = 'input TV')

[ ...whether going to 'Watch TV' or 'All Off', the 'Known Input State' will thus have been restored...]

For 'Watch Tv' I reckon you do not need to add any commands because the 'Known Input State' will be 'TV', whether coming from 'All Off' because it would be 'remembered' by the TV, or from 'Watch Tivo' which would have restored the 'Known Input state' at its finish.

To check whether you need to interpose any delays between the added commands so they can work properly, go through the process of changing input manually. At the start of 'Watch Tivo' you might also like to precede your added commands with delay/s of up to 10 secs - so the Tv doesn't change its input until the Tivo's picture can be displayed.

Hope it works!

Logi Browser
rvmeush

Thank you very much.   This is going to take me a while to understand and program the Harmony appropriately.  I will get back to you after I have some results to report.

Logi Master
idicev

rvmeush, I have edited the details, and corrected so they should be more intelligible!