Logi Browser
atlsubnuc
Accepted Solution

The Harmony One remote is unable to learn this protocol Dish VIP 722

I have my harmony one programmed with my Dish VIP-722 and it works fine.  I did need to confirm commands since my unit was set to channel 5 for RF.  Today I decided I wanted to add a sequence to toggle Close Caption on/off.  Come to find out the software limits each sequence to 5 commands (seems a ridiculous limitation) but after doing some research I found you can learn multiple IR codes in RAW mode and assign them to one command.  When I went to the device tab to learn commands for my PVR I get "The Harmony One remote is unable to learn this protocol.", is this because I have changed it's channel from 1 to 5?  Is there any way around this?

Also sorry for the cross forum post, not too sure where best to put this (software or remotes).

Thanks,

Logi Browser
atlsubnuc

Re: The Harmony One remote is unable to learn this protocol Dish VIP 722

Nevermind, I figured it out.  Basically, I just ignored the warning, went through the learning procedure, re-learned them as RAW then buit my original 11 step sequence using only 4 steps.  I learned the multiple steps to navigate the menu (10 of them) into 3 commands pressing multiple keys when learning each group.  Worked perfectly!

Thanks,

Logi Visitor
vicw

@atlsubnuc

The lack of a single button press function for cc toggle on the VIP722 is the only sorely missing feature on that device, I think.

I really want to do the same thing you did to fix it on my Harmony One, but I think I need a little more clarification on the process you described.  Did you end up with a 3, or 4 button press setup to accomplish the actual cc toggle, or were you able to consolidate it all into one?  

Logi Browser
atlsubnuc

One button press, here's what I did:

First Go to the Devices tab then on your ViP 722 click the Settings Button, then click "Learn Infrared Commands", you'll may get a warning that you can't learn commands from the Dish Remote but just ignore it and click Next.  I learned 3 new commands (as RAW mode), for each one I rapidly clicked several buttons to combine them into one command:

8 6 1

Left Arrow OK Right Arrow OK  

0 0 0

I then went into the Activity Tab, then to the Dish Network activity (this is what I named the Watch TV activity), click Customize Buttons then click Add Sequence.  Name a new sequence and select the following commands (I named the commands I learned above as follows):

Menu (standard command, did not have to learn)

LOKROK

Finally add your new sequence to the additional commands tab for that activity so that your CC button shows up when that activity is chosen.

Logi Visitor
vicw

[ Edited ]

Thanks for taking the time to provide the detailed info, atlsubnuc.  

I was able to finally get it all working, but I had the worst time with the numeric strings, 8 6 1 and 0 0 0.  After about 20 attempts I apparently got the timing right on the 8 6 1, but I never did acheive success with the 0 0 0.

In the end, I substituted 4 Cancels in the last string (I figured that the 4th Cancel would get rid of the remnant info display) for 0 0 0.  To my surprise, that worked on my first attempt., as had the Left Arrow OK Right Arrow OK string. I suppose the difficulties with the numeric strings may have to do with the data structures on numeric entries, but I'm not going to worry about that, or take any chances of messing up a working function.

I wonder if Logitech has any of this process documented - I couldn't find anything, but your writeup in this thread might help some other poor souls in the future.  It certainly isn't intuitively obvious, at least to me.  In a way, I kind of miss the clarity of the programming structure on my old Pronto setup.  The remote was big and fat and square, but I always knew what I was setting up, and there was a rich source of icons and sequences available for use.  I hope I won't  ever have to add any more long sequences to the Harmony One.

Logi Browser
Stumped2

[ Edited ]

I followed your directions but it is not working.

So I figured I go through it one step at a time & try just the “Menu” command as a sequence. As mentioned it is already a command & I figured I could not get it wrong.

I went to Customize Button > ButtonB > Closed Caption (that’s what I named it).

Then Add Sequence > PVR (that’s the Dish DVR > Menu.

The Harmony does not even bring up the Dish Menu.

Obviously I’m missing something here. Any suggestions?