Logi Nu
kluecke1

USB IR receiver for Windows Media Center

Hi All.

I have a Harmony 520 that I am looking to use with my Dell Studio Slim to control Windows Media Center. I know that I need a USB IR receiver to make this work, but am having a hard time finding any. I am actually surprised that Logitech doesn't sell one. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

Logi Guru
bevhoward

Re: USB IR receiver for Windows Media Center

They seem to be disappearing fast... just posted a couple of new links to sources at my HarmonyMedia faq 

Beverly Howard

Logi Apprentice
JBDragon

I read that FAQ section on the subject.  All I can say is I'll stick with my Xbox 360 and using it as a Media Center Extender.  Hell all you need is a cheaper Arcade version as your streaming from the PC anyway.   This way I have a nice direct HDMI hookup to my HDTV with 5.1 surround sound though my receiver.  Full control with my Harmony 1000 remote was as simple as could be.  Add on the PlayON software on my PC and now I can also stream HULU, Many, Many old and new CBS programs, ESPN, Youtube, etc right onto my HDTV also though the 360.  PlayON will also work with the PS3, but no built in IR on the PS3, no Media Center Extender on the PS3 either.  2 Negatives for me.    Hook yourself up with a HD Homerun which plugs into your Ethernet network, and now you have 2 dual HD tuners that will work for both HD OTA, and HD Clear QAM cable.  Either one of each or both of either.  Best of all it's one of the current few ways to get HD Clear QAM support working in Media Center.    Record 2 HD programs at once while watching a 3rd already recorded.  Works great.  The 360 is a nice HD Media Center Extender.  You can even set it to boot up directly into MCE mode.    Have one in your Family Room and another in the Bedroom(s) if you want and they can all access your Media Center PC and at the same time.   

Anyway a few things to think about.    I do have a couple IR PC Receivers around here someplace I've never used USB, and a NEW ONE I just got with my newest PC THAT'S USING A 1/8" Mini plug that plugs in the back of my PC.  Even have a Decent Remote to use with my PC.  I'll never use it either.    I just have no need to plug my PC directly into my HDTV for Media Center.  The 360 takes care of that job.

Logi Browser
jhoff81

There's this too, which allows for internal or external installation:

http://www.quietpc.com/us-en-usd/products/fanless/hfx-600

Logi Nu
kluecke1

[ Edited ]

Thank you for all of the replies.

Kevin

[Mod Note: Removed Link that violated ToS]